Frequency of lower limb injuries and their Causes among motorcycle accident admitted into Imam Hossein hospital during one year
مجله ارتقای ایمنی و پیشگیری از مصدومیت ها,
دوره 1 شماره 1 (1392),
8 July 2014
Background and Aim: Motor vehicle accidents are common cause of mortality, morbidity and disability. Human factors are principle cause for frequency of motor vehicle accident. In most studies, 52-40% lower limb injuries are trauma from a motorcycle accident. These accidents cause high financial cost and harm for society.
Materials and Methods: In this study, patients with lower limb injuries referred to the hospital trauma ward of Imam Hussein were evaluated during one year. Questionnaire forms were designed and completed for patients then data of these forms was inserted in a database. The information was analyzed by statistical software SPSS 18.
Results: from 766 patients with lower limb traumas which were examined and evaluated, 92 % were male and mean age of patients was 25± 12 years. 156 patients suffered from head and neck trauma and 134 persons had skin damage in addition to lower limb trauma. Injury to leg was most common injuries in lower leg and tibia shaft fracture was more frequent than lower bone fracture. Most injuries in pelvic trauma associated with fractures of the superior pubic ramus and coccyx bone. Seventy percent of related knee injuries included injury to patella and tibia plateau. The most observed injuries in ankle and foot were lateral malleolus fracture and lisferanc injuries. About 11 percent of patients were discharged from emergency room after primary management and other patients were admitted in hospital.
Conclusion: Given the high incidence of lower extremity injuries, especially the leg, in the accident of motorcycle riders, procurement and construction of efficient protective equipment, especially protective guard can be effective in reducing accidents.
- Crawford R. Trauma audit: experience in north-east Scotland. Br J Surg 1991; 78(11):1362-6.
- McNicholl B P, Fisher R B, Dearden C H. Transatlantic perspectives of trauma systems. Br J Surg 1993; 80(8):985-7.
- Rutledge R, Fakhry S, Rutherford E, Muakkassa F, Meyer A. Comparison of APACHE II, Trauma Score, and Injury Severity Score as predictors of outcome in critically injured trauma patients. Am J Surg 1994; 167(6): 622-3.
- Mohammadfam A, Ghazizadeh A. Epidemiology of Road Traffic Causes Death in Tehran 1387. The Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences (SJKUMS) 2002; 6(23):33-35.
- Murray C J L, Lopez AD. The Global Burden of Disease: a comprehensive assessment of mortality and disability from diseases, injuries and risk factors in 1990 and projected to 2020. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press on behalf of the World Bank and WHO. 1996.
- Kopits E, Cropper M. Traffic fatalities and economic growth. Washington, DC: World Bank, 2003. Policy research working papers No 3035.
- Ahmad S, Charesaz S. Injuries resulting from motorcycle- induced trauma during two years in Shahid Motahari Clinical Center of URMIA. SJFM 2006; 12(2):79-83.
- Drysdale W F, Kraus J F, Frantic C E, Riggins R S. Injury Patterns in motorcycle collisions. J Trauma 1975; 15 (2): 99-115.
- Wick M, Ekkernkamp A, Muhr G. The epidemiology of multiple traumas. Chirurg 1997 (11); 68: 1053-8.
- Hatamabadi H R, Vafaee R, Haddadi M, Abdalvand A, Soori H. Necessity of an integrated road traffic injuries surveillance system: a community-based study. Traffic Inj Prev 2011; 12(4):358-62.
- Javid M, Shahcheraghi G, Lahiji F A, Ahmadi A, Farhadi A, Akasheh G A. Road Traffic Injuries in Children. Iranian journal of Orthopaedic surgery 2006; 4(3): 1-6.
- Hell W, Lob G. Common patterns of motorcycle injury. Ann Proc Assoc Adv Automot Med 1993; 37: 77-86.
- .Araqi E, Vahedian M. Study on susceptible and damages from motorcycle accidents in Mashhad in 2005. Ofogh-e-Danesh, quarterly journal of Gonabad university of medical sciences and health services 2006; 13(1):34-40.
- Committee on trauma research. Injury in America: A continuing Public Health Problem. Washington DC: National Academy press; 1985.
- Mackenzie E J, Morris J A Jr, Smith G S, Fahey M. Acute hospital costs of trauma in the United States: Implications for Regionalized Systems of care. J Trauma 1990; 30 (9): 1096 -101.
- Ghorbani A. Epidemiology of Injuries and their Causes among Traumatic Patients Admitted into Shahid Mottahari Hospital. Gonbad-e Qabus 2008; 15 (1):29-34.
- Hatamabadi H R, Vafaee R, Haddadi M, Abdalvand A, Soori H. Epidemiologic Study of Road Traffic Injuries by Road User Type Characteristics and Road Environment in Iran: A Community-Based Approach. Traffic Inj Prev 2012; 13:1–5.
- Yunesian M, Moradi A, Khaji A, Mesdaghinia A R, Zargar M. Evaluation of the effect of offender motorcyclists' penalty enforcement project on the incidence of road traffic accident injuries in Tehran. Payesh 2007; 6(1). 19-26.
- Fernando J, Plasencia A, Ricart I, Canaleta X, Segui-Gomez M. Motor - vehicle injury Patterns in emergency-department patients in south -European urban setting. Annu Proc Assoc Adv Automot Med 2000; 44: 445-58.
- Peek C, Braver E R, Shen H, Kraus J F. Lower extremity injuries from motorcycle crashes: a common cause of preventable injury. J Trauma 1994; 37 (3): 358-64.
- Lower limb trauma
- Motor vehicle accident
ارجاع به مقاله
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 1261 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 294 بار
- PDF دانلود شده: 194 بار