Report of a Case of Hypodontia due to Ectodermal Dysplasia: Early Rehabilitation with Overdenture
Journal of Dental School, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences,
Vol. 34 No. 4 (2016),
6 March 2019
Alveolar ridge is underdeveloped in ectodermal dysplasia (ED). The available treatment plans include fixed, removable or implant-supported prostheses, alone or in combination.
A 5 year-old boy was referred for treatment to the Department of Prosthodontics, Tehran University of Medical Sciences with the chief complaint of missing teeth. Prosthodontic treatment was performed to improve mastication, esthetics, phonetics, and psychological support. Altering the alveolar height also provided a more pleasant musculocutaneous profile. Series of overdentures were fabricated in the same conventional manner to compensate for the patient’s growth.
Early treatment had a major impact on self-esteem, masticatory function, speech and facial esthetics of our patient. However, long-term success depends on regular recall appointments.
- Ectodermal Dysplasia
How to Cite
- Neville BW, Douglas DD, Allen CM, Bouquot JE. Oral and maxillofacial pathology. 3rd ed. 2009:741-3.
- Shah R, Shah S. Oral rehabilitation of a patient with ectodermal dysplasia: A multidisciplinary approach. J Nat Sci Biol Med. 2014 Jul;5(2):462-6.
- Glick M. Burket’s oral medicine. 12th ed. PMPH-USA. 2015: 672.
- Hekmatfar S, Jafari K, Meshki R, Badakhsh S. Dental management of ectodermal dysplasia: two clinical case reports. J Den Res Den Clin Den Prospect. 2012; 6(3):108-12.
- Tarjan I, Gabris K, Roza N. Early prosthetic treatment of patients with ectodermal dysplasia: A clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2005 May;93(5):419-24.
- Sarant BG, Brodie AG, Kubacki WH. Fourteen-year report of facial growth in case of complete anodontia with ectodermal dysplasia. AMA Am J Dis Child. 1953 August; 86(2):162-9.
- Nomura S, Hasegawa S, Noda T, Ishioka K. Longitudinal study of jaw growth and prosthetic management in a patient with ectodermal dysplasia and anodontia. Int J Paediatr Dent. 1993 Mar;3(1):29-38.
- Pigno MA, Blackman RB, Cronin RJ, Cvazos E. Prosthodontic management of ectodermal dysplasia: a review of the literature. J Prosthet Dent. 1996 Nov;76(5):541-5.
- Ramos V, Giebink DL, Fisher JG, Christensen LC. Complete dentures for a child with hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 1995 Oct;74(4):329-31.
- Hekmatfar S, Jafari K, Meshki R, Badakhsh S. Dental management of ectodermal dysplasia: two clinical case reports. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2012 Summer;6(3):108-12.
- Toomarian L, Ardakani MR, Ramezani J, Adli AR, Tabari ZA. Using implants for prosthodontic rehabilitation of a 4-year-old with ectodermal dysplasia. Gen Dent. 2014 Sep-Oct;62(5):e1-5.
- Gupta C, Verma M, Gupta R, Gill S. Telescopic overdenture for oral rehabilitation of ectodermal dysplasia patient. Contemp Clin Dent. 2015 Sep;6(Suppl 1):S258-61.
- Maroulakos G, Artopoulou II, Angelopoulou MV, Emmanouil D. Removable partial dentures vs overdentures in children with ectodermal dysplasia: two case reports. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2016 Jun;17(3):205-10.
- Nowak AJ. Dental treatment for patients with ectodermal dysplasias. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser. 1988;24(2):243-52.
- Hickey AJ1, Vergo TJ Jr.. Prosthetic treatments for patients with ectodermal dysplasia. J Prosthet Dent. 2001 Oct;86(4):364-8.
- Nabadalung DP. Prosthetic rehabilitation of an anhidrotic ectodermal dysplasia patient: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 1999 May;81(5):499-502.
- Imirzalioglu P, Uckan S, Haydar SG. Surgical and prosthodontics treatment alternatives for children and adolescents with ectodermal dysplasia: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2002 Dec;88(6):569-72.
- Bryan SR. The effects of age, jaw site and bone condition or oral implant outcomes. Int J Prosthodont. 1998 Sep-Oct;11(5):470-90.
- Zarb G, Hobkirk JA, Eckert SE, Jacob RF. Prosthodontic treatment for edentulous patients. 13th ed. St. Louis (MO): CV Mosby 2013: 190-92.
- Rathee M, Malik P, Dua M, Yadav V. Early functional, esthetic, and psychological rehabilitation of preschool child with nonsyndromic oligodontia and anodontia in mixed dentition stage through conservative systematic approach: A case report with 5-year follow-up. Contemporary Clin Dent. 2016 Apr-Jun;7(2):232–5.
- Bhargava A, Sharma A, Popli S, Bhargava R. Prosthodontic management of a child with ectodermal dysplasia: A case report. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2010 Jun;10(2):137-40.
- Crum RJ. Rationale for the retention of teeth for overdentures. In Brewer AA, Morrow RM, editors. Overdentures. 2nd ed. ST Louis: CV Mosby, 1980: 3-11.
- Bonilla ED, Guerra L, Luna O. Overdenture prosthesis for oral rehabilitation of hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia: A case report. Quintessence Int. 1997; 28(10): 657-65.
- Franchi L, Branchi R, Tollaro I. Craniofacial changes following early prosthetic treatment in a case of hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia with complete anodontia. ASDC J Dent Child. 1998 Mar-Apr;65(2):116-21.
- Khazaie R, Berroeta EM, Borrero C, Torbati A, Chee W. Five year foolow up treatment of an Ectodermal Dysplasia patient with maxillary anterior composites and mandibular dentures: A clinical report. J Prosthodont. 2010 Jun;19(4):294-8.
- Yavuz I, Baskan Z, Ulka R, Dulgergil TC, Dari O, Ece A, Yavuz Y, Dari KO. Ectodermal dysplasia: retrospective study of fifteen cases. Arch Med Res. 2006; 37:403-9.
- Shaw RM. Prosthetic management of hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia with anodontia. Case report. Aust Dent J. 1990 Apr;35(2):113-6.
- Mello BZ, Silva TC, Rios D, Machado MA, Valarelli FP, Oliveira TM. Mini-implants: alternative for oral rehabilitation of a child with ectodermal dysplasia. Braz Dent J. 2015 Jan-Feb;26(1):75-8.
- Guckes AD, McCarthy GR, Brajim J. Use of endosseous implants in a 3-year-old child with ectodermal dysplasia: case report and 5-year follow up. Pediatr Dent. 1997 May-Jun;19(4):282-5.
- Moorrees CF, Gron AM, Lebret LM, Yen PK, Frolich FJ. Growth studies of the dentition: a review. Am J Orthod. 1969 Jun;55(6):600-16.
- Mello BZ, Silva TC, Rios D, Machado MA, Valarelli FP, Oliveira TM. Mini-implants: Alternative for Oral Rehabilitation of a Child with Ectodermal Dysplasia. Braz Dent J. 2015 Jan-Feb;26(1):75-8.
- Abstract Viewed: 83 times
- PDF Downloaded: 14 times