The Effect of pH dependent and pH independent polymers on the drug release of anti-ischemic agent Development and Characterization of Ranolazine ER Tablets
International Pharmacy Acta,
Vol. 4 No. 1 (2021),
2 June 2021
The objective of current study is to study the effects of combination of pH independent (HPMCK100M) and dependent (partially neutralized; Eudragit L 100-55) polymers on the drug release of Ranolazine form extended release tablet formulation. Ranolazine, an anti-ischemic or anginal agent. Mainly used for treating exercise induced; variant and stable chronic angina pectoris along with myocardial infarction. Anti-ischemic effect exhibited by Ranolazine is independent of haemodynamic effects, due to this benefit; it was useful for treating patients, who were not responded to other anti-anginals. Extended release tablets of Ranolazine were prepared using various proportions of Eudragit L 100-55,HPMCK100M in by direct compression technique. 9 formulations were developed and characterized for pharmacopoeial limits. Data obtained from the dissolution study fitted well to kinetic modeling, kinetic parameters were determined. EHR5 containing 31.25 mg of Eudragit L 100-55& 31.25 mg of HPMCK100M, is the best formulation showing similarity f2=85.77, f1= 2.31 with the marketed product (RANOLAZ). Formulation EHR5 follow zero order, whereas release mechanism found to be nonfickian type (n= 0.653).
- extended release
- Eudragit L 100-55
How to Cite
2. Murthy TEGK, Bala Vishnu Priya Mukkala, Suresh Babu VV. Formulation and Evaluation of ranolazine extended release tablets: Influence of polymers. Asian J Pharm 2011;5(3):162-166.
3. Harish Adepu, S.Srilatha, M.Prasanth Reddy. Formulation and Evaluation of Film coated Ranolazine extended release tablets. Int J Inn Pharm Sci Res.2014;2(10):2283-2294.
4. Uddin NM, Ahmed I, Amin MR, Islam RM, Rahman HM and Jalil R: In vitro Release Kinetics Study of Ranolazine from Swellable Hydrophilic Matrix Tablets. Dhaka Univ. J. Pharm. Sci., 2009 ; 8(1): 31- 38.
5. Gunda RK, Vijayalakshmi A. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Gastro Retentive Bio Adhesive Drug Delivery System for Moxifloxacin. HCl. Ind J Pharm Edu Res 2019;53(4): 724-32.
6. Gupta Jitendra, Mohan Govind, Prabakaran L, Gupta Reena. Formulation Development and Characterization of Modified Release Microspheres of Antianginal Drug. Int J Drug Dev Res. 2014;6 (4):252-265.
7. Bawankar DL, Deshmane SV, More SM, Channawar MA, Chandewar AV and Shreekanth J. Design and Characterization of Extended Release Ranolazine Matrix Tablet. Research J Pharm Tech.2009;2(4):756-761
8. C. Bharath kumar, C. Aparna, Prathima Srinivas. Formulation and evaluation of solid self emulsifying drug delivery sytem of ranolazine. J Glob Tren Pharm Sci.2014; 5(4):2238-2247.
9. Jagdish Bidada, Indrajeet Gonjari, Akshay Bhusari, Chandrakant Raut, Amar Dhule. Development of extended release matrix tablets of Ranolazine containing polyacrylic and ethylcellulose polymers. Der Pharm Let. 2011: 3(4):215-226.
10. Shantanu B Kuchekar, Shrinivas K Mohite. Design and evaluation of extended release Ranolazine liquisoloid tablets using plackett–burman screening design. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2015;8(3):292-300.
11. Md. Mofizur Rahman, Sayeed Hasan, Md. Ashiqul Alam, Sumon Roy, Mithilesh Kumar Jha, Md. Habibur Rahman. Formulation and evaluation of Ranolazine sustained release matrix tablets using Eudragit and HPMC. Int J Pharm Biomed Res. 2011;1(5):172-177.
12. Bhargavi Pittala, Naveen Kumar bommagani, S.Vasudeva Murthy, Preethi Nagavalli. Formulation and Evaluation of Ranolazine Extended Release Tablets by using pH Dependent and Independent polymers. Int J Pharm Bio Arc.2013;4(6): 1164-1171.
13. Md. Asaduzzaman, Md. Saifur Rahman Khan and S.M. Ashraful Islam. Development of Sustain Release Matrix Tablet of Ranolazine Based on Methocel K4M CR: In-Vitro Drug Release and Kinetic Approach. J App Pharm Sci.2011;1(8):131-136.
14. M. Ranga Priya, R. Natarajan and N. Rajendran. Design and In-Vitro Evaluation of Sustained Release Tablets of Ranolazine. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2011;2(3):922-928.
15. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Rosiglitazone Sustained Release Tablets Using 32 Factorial Design. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2015; 8:713-24.
16. Gunda RK, Manchineni PR. Statistical Design and Optimization of Sustained Release Formulations of Pravastatin. Turk J Pharm Sci 2020;17(2):221-227. [CrossRef]
17. RK Gunda, A. Vijayalakshmi. Formulation and evaluation of gastro retentive floating drug delivery system for novel fluoro quinolone using natural and semi synthetic polymers. Iran J Pharm Sci 2020;16(1):49-60. [CrossRef]
18. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, A. Vijayalakshmi. Development and evaluation of gastroretentive formulations for Moxifloxacin.HCl. Thai J Pharm Sci 2020;44(1):30-39.
19. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, Suresh Kumar. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Doxofylline Sustained Release Tablets. Fabad J Pharm Sci. 2017; 42(3): 199-208.
- Abstract Viewed: 255 times
- PDF Downloaded: 267 times