Effect of combination polymers of natural and semi synthetic origin on the drug release of Flavoxate. HCl Design and Characterization of gastro retentive floating tablets for Flavoxate.HCl.
International Pharmacy Acta,
Vol. 4 No. 1 (2021),
2 June 2021
The objective of current work is to study the effect of combination of macromolecules (polymers) of natural (Lannea coromandelica gum) and semi synthetic (HPMCK100M) origin on the drug release of Flavoxate.HCl from the Gastro retentive floating formulation. Flavoxate.HCl, an antispasmodic agent. Mainly used for treating urinary incontinence, urgency of urination. Floating tablets of Flavoxate.HCl were prepared using variable composition of HPMCK100M, Lannea coromandelica gum (LCG) with effervescent mixtures by direct compression technique. 9 formulations were made and evaluated for quality control parameters. From the obtained results clears that all formulations passes the compendial limits. Data obtained from the dissolution study fitted well to kinetic modeling, kinetic parameters were determined. GRFX5 composed of 40 mg of HPMCK100M & 40 mg of LCG, is the best formulation showing similarity f2=84.66, f1= 4.29 with the marketed product (URISPAS). Formulation GRFX5 follow first order, whereas release mechanism found to be nonfickian type (n= 0.77).
- gastro retentive
- Lannea coromandelica gum
- Non-Fickian Diffusion
How to Cite
2. Hirtz J. The GIT absorption of drugs in man: a review of current concepts and methods of investigation. Br. J.Clin.Pharmacol.(1985)19:77-83. [CrossRef]
3. Arora S, Ali J, Ahuja A, Khar RK, Baboota S. Floating drug delivery systems, A Review. AAPS.Pharm. sci. tech.(2005)6:E372-390. [CrossRef]
4. Jain SK, Agrawal GP, Jain NK. Floating microspheres as drug delivery system, Newer Approaches, evaluation of porous carrier-based floating or list at microspheres for gastric delivery. Curr.Drug.Deliv.(2008)5(3):220-223. [CrossRef].
5. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, A. Vijayalakshmi. Statistical design, formulation and evaluation of gastroretentive floating tablets for Moxifloxacin using natural and semisynthetic polymers. Thai.J.Pharm.Sci.(2019)43(3):138-145.
6. Gunda RK, Vijayalakshmi A. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Gastro Retentive Bio Adhesive Drug Delivery System for Moxifloxacin. Ind.J.Pharm.Edu.Res. (2019)53(4):724-732.
7. Reddy LH, Murthy RS. Floating dosage system in drug delivery. Crit.Rev.Ther.Drug carrier.Syst. (2002)19(6):553- 85.
8. Deshpande AA, Shah NH, Rhodes CT, Malick W. Development of a novel controlled-release system for gastric retention. Pharm.Res.(1997)14:815-819.
9. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, A. Vijayalakshmi. Development and evaluation of gastroretentive formulations for Moxifloxacin. Thai.J.Pharm.Sci.(2020)44(1):30-39.
10. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, Vijayalakshmi A. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery Systems- A Review. J.Pharm.Res. (2017)11(2):167-178.
11. Satyavathi K, Venu P, Gayathri,. Formulation and Development of Flavoxate HCl Extended Release Capsules. Int.J.Pharm.Sci.Res.(2014)5(5):1949-1956.
12. Sandeep Ashokrao Wathore. Formulation and Evaluation of Flavoxate HCl Floating Tablet by Using Natural Gum. Int.J.Pharm.Pharm.Res.(2019)16(2):542-554.
13. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, A. Vijayalakshmi. Development, In-vitro and In-vivo evaluation of gastroretentive formulations for Moxifloxacin.HCl. Res.J.Pharm.Tech. (2020)13(10):4668-74. [CrossRef]
14. Gunda RK, Manchineni PR. Statistical Design and Optimization of Sustained Release Formulations of Pravastatin. Turk.J.Pharm.Sci.(2020)17(2):221-227. [CrossRef]
15. RK Gunda, Vijayalakshmi A, Masilamani K. Assessment of Antimicrobial activity of Moxifloxacin.HCl from Gastro Retentive Formulations. Thai.J.Pharm.Sci. (2020)44(1):40-45.
16. RK Gunda, A. Vijayalakshmi. Formulation and evaluation of gastro retentive floating drug delivery system for novel fluoro quinolone using natural and semi synthetic polymers. Iran.J.Pharm.Sci. (2020)16(1):49-60. [CrossRef]
17. Higuchi. Mechanism of sustained-action medication. Theoretical analysis of rate of release of solid drugs dispersed in solid matrices. J.Pharm .Sci. (1963)51:1145-9. [CrossRef]
18. Peppas NA. Analysis of Fickian and non-Fickian drug release from polymers. Pharm. Acta.Helv. (1985)60:110-1.
19. Dortunc B, Gunal N. Release of acetazolamide from swellable HPMC matrix tablets. Dru. Dev.Ind.Pharm.(1997) 23:1245-9.
- Abstract Viewed: 147 times
- PDF Downloaded: 61 times