Estimate the prevalence of physical methods used in attempted suicides in Iran: A systematic review and meta-analysis
ارتقای ایمنی و پیشگیری از مصدومیت ها,
دوره 1 شماره 1 (2013),
8 تیر 2014
Background and Aim: One of the most important subjects in the study of suicide is the methods used to it. There are not accurate statistics relating to employed physical methods for suicide in our country. Studies conducted in different provinces provided different results. This study aimed to estimate the prevalence of physical methods used in attempted suicides in Iran.
Materials and Methods: All national scientific databases searched with the term “Suicide”. A search strategy was also done using keywords of “Suicide AND Iran” in PubMed and Science direct databases. The conducted database searches was limited to the past twenty years and updated by May 21, 2012. Overall, 1229 articles were retrieved through the initial search. Finally 95 studies included for the analysis. Random effect model of Mantel-Haenzel employed for estimation of pooled prevalence and Q-Cochran test to assess the cause of heterogeneity among the selected studies.
Results: The pooled prevalence of suicide methods estimated as hanging with prevalence 17 %( CI 95%: 12 to 21%), self-immolation with prevalence 13% (CI 95%: 9 to 17%) and use of gun 3% (CI 95%: 1 to 4%).
Conclusion: The most common physical methods used in suicide were hanging. We proposed more serious mental health programs in primary health care and special treatments for patients with depression and other mental illnesses.
- Rezaeian M, Sharifirad GR, Foroutani MR, Moazam N. Identification of suicide risk factors in Ilam province and their direction of function. J Health Syst Res. 2010.
- Barkhordar N, Jahangiri K, Barkhordar N. Assessment of incidence trend of suicide and related factors in rural areas of Kermanshah from 2001 to 2007. J Med Counc I.R. Iran 2009; 27(2):219-25.
- Mohammadi GR, Saadati A. Epidemiology and aetiology of attempted suicide and its relationship with demographic variables among patients in the 22 Bahman Hospital Nyshabor in 2003. J Fundam Ment Health 2004(23&24):117-25.
- Khajeh Mogehi N, Behroziyan F, Ganavati F. Investigate the relationship between hopelessness and suicide in patients with mood disorders. J Iran Univ Med Sci 2010; 8(4).
- Biddle L, Donovan J, Owen-Smith A, Potokar J, Longson D, Hawton K, et al. Factors influencing the decision to use hanging as a method of suicide: qualitative study. Br J Psychiatry 2010; 197(4):320-5.
- Perry I, Corcoran P, Fitzgerald A, Keeley H, Reulbach U, Arensman E. The Incidence and Repetition of Hospital-Treated Deliberate Self Harm: Findings from the World's First National registry. Hospital-Treated Deliberate Self Harm 2012; 7:2.
- Anbari M, Bahrami A. Study of the poverty and violence effects on suicide rates in Iran: A case study in Puldokhtar. The Journal of Survey social issues in Iran. 2010; 2.
- Sloan J H, Rivara F P, Reay D T, Ferris J A, Kellermann A L. Firearm regulations and rates of suicide. A comparison of two metropolitan areas. N Engl J Med 1990; 322:369-73.
- Miller M, Azrael D, Hemenway D. Household firearm ownership and suicide rates in the United States. Epidemiology 2002; 13:517-24.
- Chang Sh LT, Sterne J, Eddleston M, Lin j, Gunnell D. The impact of pesticide suicide on the geographic distribution of suicide in Taiwan: a spatial analysis. BioMed Central Public health 2012; 12:260.
- Eizadi-Mood N, Akuchekian Sh, Sabzghabaee AM, Gheshlaghi F, Hessami N. General Health Status in a Cohort of Iranian Patients with intentional Self-poisoning: A Preventive Approach. Int J Prev Med 2011.
- Levin K A, Leyland A H. Urban/rural inequalities in suicide in Scotland, 1981-1999. Soc Sci Med 2005; 60(12):2877-90.
- Pavia M, Nicotera G, Scaramuzza G. Angelillo IF. Suicide mortality in Southern Italy: 1998-2002 Psychiatry Res 2005; 134(3):275-9.
- Nachman R, Yanai O, Goldin L, Swartz M, Barak Y, Hiss J. Suicide in Israel: 1985-1997. J Psychiatry Neurosci 2002; 27(6):423-8.
- de Macedo JL, Rosa SC, Gomes e Silva M. Self-inflicted burns: attempted suicide. Rev Col Bras Cir 2011; 38(6):387-91.
- de Silva VA, Senanayake SM, Dias P, Hanwella R. From pesticides to medicinal drugs: time series analyses of methods of self-harm in Sri Lanka. Bull World Health Organ 2012; 90(1):40-6.
- Khazaee H, Parvizifard A. assessment the demographic characteristics and the psychological status of suicide attempters in Tabriz. 2001 Behbood. 2003; 3.
- Rafiee M, Seife A. Study of suicide attempters referred to the Central hospitals of arak from 2005 to 2007. Iran J Epidemiol 2008; 4(3 & 4):69-59.
- Tazeki M, Semnani S, Golalipour M, Behnampour N, Tazeki S, Rejaie S, et al. Epidemiology of suicide in Golestan province in 2003. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci 2006; 16(7):72-55.
- Yousefi H, Sobhani G, Asadi nogaye F. Determining proble factors of attempted suicide in patients referred to emergency section of the Shahid mohammadi hospital. Hormozgan Med J 2002; 2.
- Bakhsha F, Behnampour N, Charkazi A. The prevalence of attempted suicide in Golestan province, North of Iran during 2003-7. J Gorgan Univ Med Sci 2011; 13(2).
- Zohor A, Aflatoonian M. The frequency of suicide attempts in patients referred to the emergency section of Jiroft in 2001. J Iran Univ Med Sci 2003; 38.
- Mehran N, Bulhara J, Asgarnejad farid A, Mire M. The socio-psychological characteristics of suicide attempters in contrast with normal people in Birjand. J Birjand Univ Med Sci 2004; 11:3.
- Mousavi F, Sajjadi H, Rafiee H. Family factors associated with suicide. The Quarterly Social Welfare 2006; 27.
- Moravveji A, Saberi H, Akasheh G, Ahmadvand A, Kianipour S. Epidemiology of attempted suicide in Kashan during 2003-8. Feyz 2011; 15(4):374-81.
- Saberi Zafargandy MB, Gorbani R, Mousavi S. Epidemiology of attempted suicide in the Semnan. Koomesh 2005; 6:4.
- Koshan M, Shegrefnakhaie M, Robanizadehe A, Hidari A, Tofigiyan T, Mosakeni K. prevalence of suicide risk factors in suicidal patients admitted in the Sabzevar. J Sabzevar Univ Med Sci 2008; 15(2):123-8.
- Karami G, Amire M, Ameli J, Godosi K, Saadat A, Sajadi M, et al. Study of suicide in psychiatric patients in the hospital Bagiatolah Alazmfrom 2001 to 2003. J Mil Med 2005; 7(4):305-12.
- Abbasi A, Kamkar A. The assessment of suicide risk factors in the kohgiloyeh va boirahmad province (1992-1991). Armaghane-danesh 1996; 4:3.
- Salari Lak S, Entezarmehdi R, Afshani M, Abasi H. Assessment the occurrence of suicide during one year in West Azarbaijan Province. Urmia Med J 2006; 2:100-93.
- Gaedi H, Mohammadi Baghmollaei M, Hashemi SM, Saniei F, Hoseini Y, Jabbarnejad A. Epidemiology attempted Suicide in Dashtestan Region in 2004. Dena 2006; 1:3.
- Kiykhavandi S. Prevalence of successful and unsuccessful suicide in Ilam: 1997. J Ilam Univ Med Sci 2000; 28.
- Brock A, Griffiths C. Trends in suicide by method in England and Wales, 1979 to 2001. Health Stat 2003; 20:17-7.
- Skinner R, McFaull S. Suicide among children and adolescents in Canada: trends and sex differences, 1980-2008. Canadian Medical Association or its Licensors 2012.
- Moradi S, Khademi A. Survey of suicides led to death in Iran and comparison with the global rates. Sci J Forensic Med 2002; 27:21-16.
- Jeffrey A, Joel B, Arielle H, Anthony F, John V, Kelly J. Changes in Suicide Rates by Hanging/Suffocation and Firearms among Young Persons Aged 10 to 24 Years in the United States: 1992–2006. J Adolesc Health 2010; 46(5):505-3.
- Mzezewa S, Jonsson K, Aberg M, Salemark L. A prospective study of suicidal burns admitted to the Harare burns unit. Burns 2000; 26(5):460-4.
- Sukhai A, Harris C, Moorad RG, Dada MA. Suicide by self-immolation in Durban, South Africa: a five-year retrospective review Am J Forensic Med Pathol 2002; 23(3):295-8.
- Rothschild MA, Raatschen H, Schneider V. Suicide by self-immolation in Berlin from 1990 to 2000. Forensic Sci Int 2001; 124(2 & 3):163-6.
- Taoi M, Wainiqolo I, Kafoa B, Kool B, Naisaki A, McCaig E, et al. Characteristics of fatal and hospital admissions for burns in Fiji: a population-based study (TRIP Project-2). Burns 2012; 38(5):758-62.
- Snowdon J, Harris L. Firearm’s suicides in Australia. Med J Aust 1992; 156(2):83-79.
- Zunino MG. Firearm mortality in Argentina, 1990-2008. Rio de Janeiro 2012; 28(4):677-65.
- Johnson RM, Barber C, Azrael D, Clark DE, Hemenway D. Who are the owners of firearms used in adolescent suicides? Suicide Life Threat Behav 2010; 40(6):611-09.
- Suicide attempted
- Method of suicide
ارجاع به مقاله
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 662 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 342 بار
- PDF دانلود شده: 84 بار