Performance prediction based on employees' job engagement mediated by ethical leadership
Social Determinants of Health,
Vol. 9 (2023),
1 January 2023
Background: Education has a great impact on the social, economic and cultural progress of society. This study's goal was to develop a thorough model for performance prediction that was based on employee job engagement and was mediated by moral leadership.
Methods: This study was applied and a descriptive-correlational. The statistical population was included 341 people from employees and managers of the education department in Kerman province. They were chosen at random by a stratified sample. Information was gathered using questionnaires created by the researcher, including a work performance questionnaire with 28 questions, a job engagement questionnaire with 34 questions, and a questionnaire on ethical leadership with 46 questions. Assessing the validity of the components by the Delphi method by surveying 30 experts and the results of fit of the components obtained with AMOS software were determined. The Cronbach's alpha coefficient of the variables was more than 0.7, suggesting that the items were internally coordinated and that the reliability was confirmed.
Results: With the increase of behavioral involvement such as commitment to time, intensity and seriousness of work, cognitive involvement such as concentration, work attraction and emotional involvement such as enthusiasm and mental flexibility, along with the rise in ethical leadership, the degree of ethical leadership in education grew, the level of performance, the employment of employees increased.
Conclusion: The importance of mediating role of ethical leadership in education department employees in predicting performance based on job engagement can be used by managers in the area of learning and education in the country.
- Work Performance
How to Cite
2. Ahadpour M, Behrangi MR. Modeling the impact of ethical leadership on teacher empowerment with work engagement mediation. Applied Educational Leadership. 2020;1(3):33-50. https://ael.uma.ac.ir/article_1116.html?lang=en
3. Savari K, Falahi M, Zayerchi N. The relationship between self-efficacy, work engagement and inner motivation with teacher's job performance. Research on Educational Leadership and Management. 2017;3(11):101-120. https://doi.org/10.22054/jrlat.2018.30757.1362
4. Khan K, Nemati AR. Impact of job involvement on employee satisfaction: A study based on medical doctors working at Riphah International University Teaching Hospitals in Pakistan. African Journal of Business Management. 2011;5(6):2241-2246. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJBM10.792
5. Kim W, Park J. Examining Structural Relationships between Work Engagement, Organizational Procedural Justice, Knowledge Sharing, and Innovative Work Behavior for Sustainable Organizations. Sustainability. 2017;9(2):205-212. https://doi.org/10.3390/su9020205
6. Aghajani M, Mehdad A. The Effect of Transformational leadership on Organizational citizenship Behavior and Innovative Behaviors among employees of Isfahan Azad University: Mediating role of work engagement. Knowledge & Research in Applied Psychology. 2019;20(1):35-46. https://doi.org/10.30486/jsrp.2019.663540
7. Aninkan DO, Oyewole AA. The influence of individual and organizational factors on employee engagement”, International Journal of Development and Sustainability. 2014;3(6):1381-1392. https://www.isdsnet.com/ijds-v3n6.html
8. Soorani Yancheshmeh R. The effect of ethical leadership on job motivation with the mediating role of innovative organizational climate of faculty members of free universities in Tehran (Case study: Tehran). Journal of Research in Educational Science. 2018;12(1):1009-1027. http://www.jiera.ir/article_65039.html?lang=en
9. Kahn WA. Psychological Conditions of Personal Engagement and Disengagement at Work. Academy of Management Journal. 1990;33(4):692-724. https://doi.org/10.5465/256287
10. Zhang X, Bartol KM. Linking Empowering Leadership and Employee Creativity: The Influence of Psychological Empowerment, Intrinsic Motivation, and Creative Process Engagement. Academy of Management Journal. 2010;53(1):107-128. https://www.jstor.org/stable/25684309
11. Luthans F, Avey J, Avolio B, Peterson SJ. The Development and Resulting Performance Impact of Positive Psychological Capital. Human Resource Development Quarterly. 2010;21(1):41-67. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.20034
12. Halbesleben JRB, Wheeler AR. The relative roles of engagement and embeddedness in predicting job performance and intention to leave. Work & Stress. 2008;22(3):242-256. https://doi.org/10.1080/02678370802383962
13. Gucel C, Tokmak I. The relationship of the ethical leadership among the organizational trust, affective commitment and job satisfaction: case study of a university, International Journal of Social Sciences and Humanity Studies. 2020;4(2):54-68. http://sobiad.org/ijsshs-vol-12-issue-1-2-2020/
14. Khokhar AM, Zia-ur-Rehman M. Linking ethical leadership to employees' performance: Mediating role of organizational citizenship behavior and counterproductive work behavior. Pakistan Journal of Commerce and Social Sciences. 2017;11(1):222-251. https://www.econstor.eu/handle/10419/188290
15. Madanchian M, Hussein N, Noordin F, Taherdoost H. The Relationship between Ethical Leadership, Leadership Effectiveness and Organizational Performance: A Review of Literature in SMEs Context. European Business & Management. 2016;2(2):17-21. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ebm.20160202.11
16. Huang L, Paterson TA. Group Ethical Voice: Influence of Ethical Leadership and Impact on Ethical Performance. Journal of Management. 2017;43(4):1157-1184. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206314546195
17. Zahid Babalan A, Khaleghkhah A, Kazemi S, Gharibzadeh R. The role of spiritual leadership and professional ethics in the organizational commitment of health workers. Akhlāq-I zīstī. 2018;7(26):23-30. https://doi.org/10.22037/bioeth.v7i26.17215
18. Breevaart K, Bakker AB, Demerouti E, Van Den Heuvel M. Leader-member exchange, work engagement, and job performance. Journal of Managerial Psychology. 2015;30(7):754-770. https://doi.org/10.1108/JMP-03-2013-0088
19. Kazemi Sangsarki N. Investigating the Relationship between Ethical Leadership and Employee Performance (Case Study of Branches 4 in Tehran Eghtesad Novin Bank). Master Thesis of Islamic Azad University, Central Tehran, School of Management;2022.
20. Doostar M, Mostaghimi MR, Ismailzadeh M. Ethical leadership and the study of the effect of its dimensions on organizational commitment. Management studies. 2014;24(79):27-45. https://www.sid.ir/paper/202857/fa
21. Shakib A, Raga-ei AR. Factors Affecting job Satisfaction among Faculty Members of Islamic Azad University. Journal of Iranian Psychologists. 2006;2(8):285-297. https://jip.stb.iau.ir/article_512416.html
22. Mousavi F, Vashani A, Saeedipoor Z. A Survey of the Observance of Standards of Professional Ethics of Managers and Its Relationship with Job Career of Secondary School Teachers in Songhar. Educational Leadership & administration. 2016;10(2):97-122. https://edu.garmsar.iau.ir/article_536509.html?lang=fa
23. Cheng JW, Chang SC, Kuo JH, Cheung YH. Ethical leadership, work engagement, and voice behavior. Industrial Management & Data Systems. 2014;114(5):817-831. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-10-2013-0429
24. Engelbrecht AS, Heine G, Mahembe B. The influence of ethical leadership on trust and work engagement: An exploratory study. Sa Journal of Industrial Psychology. 2014;40(1):1-9. https://doi.org/10.4102/sajhrm.v15.781
25. Amoshahi M, Karimi F. The Relationship between Ethical Leadership and Job Performance. Ethics in Science and Technology. 2018;13(1):177-181. http://ethicsjournal.ir/article-1-1006-fa.html
26. Majdzadeh M, Hoveida R, Rejaeipour S. Structural Modeling of University Manager’s Ethical Leadership Relationships and Educational Performance of Faculty Members with the Mediating Role of Their Professional Ethics in Comprehensive Units of Islamic Azad University. Education Strategies in Medical Sciences. 2019;11(6):65-67. http://edcbmj.ir/article-1-1639-fa.html
27. Derakhshanmehr A, Jabarzadeh Kangarlooi S, Bahri sales C. Analysis of relationship between Ethical Leadership and Certified Public Accountants performance with the role of moderating professional ethics. Quarterly Journal of Public Organizations Management. 2018;6(2):149-158. https://doi.org/20.1001.1.2322522.13184.108.40.206.9
28. Mehrparsa S. The relationship between moral leadership and the performance of school principals in Tehran. Educational Leadership & administration. 2019;12(4):247-261. https://edu.garmsar.iau.ir/article_664476.html?lang=fa
29. Asghari MM. Investigating the relationship between ethical leadership and employee performance and the mediating role of exchange-member leadership. Master Thesis of Islamic Azad University, Shahroud Branch, Faculty of Humanities;2022.
30. Alshammari A, Almutairi NN, Thuwaini SF. Ethical Leadership: The Effect on Employees. International Journal of Biometrics. 2015;10(3):108-116. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijbm.v10n3p108
31. Liu Y, Loi R, Lam L. Linking organizational identification and employee performance in teams: The moderating role of team-member exchange. The International Journal of Human Resource Management. 2011;22(15):3187-3201. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2011.560875
32. Jamarouni Y. The mediating role of ethical leadership on the relationship between conflict management and job performance in the Red Crescent Society. Master Thesis of Islamic Azad University, Vahid Jaseb, Faculty of Management;2021.
33. Zarei S. Presenting a model for predicting job motivation with regard to genuine leadership and psychological capital (Case study: Shiraz Physical Education Teachers), Master Thesis of Payame Noor University of Shiraz;2019.
34. Molaey M, Mehdad A, Golparvar M. Relationship of Spirituality in Workplace, Internal Motivation and Work Engagement with Task Performance. Knowledge & Research in Applied Psychology. 2014;15(2):47-55. https://jsr-p.isfahan.iau.ir/article_533917.html
35. Basit AA. Examining how respectful engagement affects task performance and affective organizational commitment: The role of job engagement. Personnel Review. 2019;48(3):644-658. https://www.proquest.com/docview/2194007210
36. Demirtas O, Hannah ST, Gok K, Arslan A, Capar N. The moderated influence of ethical leadership, via meaningful work, on followers’ engagement, organizational identification, and envy. Journal of Business Ethics. 2017;145(1):183-199. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-015-2907-7
37. Aghiqi A. Mediating Role of Work Ethics in Relation to Ethical Leadership and Organizational Justice with Work Engagement. Ethics in Science and Technology. 2020;15(2):123-131. http://ethicsjournal.ir/article-1-1864-fa.html
- Abstract Viewed: 25 times
- PDF Downloaded: 35 times