In Vitro Culture of Mouse Preantral Follicle in Supplemented Medium with Bone Morphogenetic Protein 15 (BMP15)
Journal of Otorhinolaryngology and Facial Plastic Surgery,
Vol. 6 No. 1 (2020),
12 September 2020
Background: BMD-15 is a member of the superfamily of transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-β), which has a determinant role in fertility. This protein is essential for the development of ovarian follicles and acts mainly by binding to its receptor on the surface of granulosa cells.
Aim: The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of BMP-15 on in vitro ovarian follicle growth and embryo development.
Methods: In this study, preantral follicles were isolated mechanically from 12 days NMRI mouse ovaries, then the follicles were cultured in basic growth medium enriched by FBS, FSH, and ITS and BMP-15-enriched for 12 days. During the culture, survival rate and follicular maturation, follicular diameter, level of estrogen, and progesterone secretion and embryo developmental rate were evaluated.
Results: The results of this study showed that the percentage of antral follicles, maturation rate and hormone levels and the diameter of follicles was significantly higher in BMP-15 supplemented media in comparison to basic media. Embryo development was also higher at BMP-15 enriched group in comparison to the group of follicles, which were grown in the basic culture media.
Conclusion: The present study demonstrates that supplemented media with BMP-15 to the ovarian preantral follicle culture enhances the in vitro growth of follicle embryo development.
- BMP-15; Follicles; Growth; In vitro culture.
How to Cite
2. Liu HC, He Z, Rosenwaks Z. Correlation of somatic cell steroid secretion and quality of generated oocytes after in-vitro stimulation of mouse follicles. J Assist Reprod Genet 2006; 23(4): 191-8.
3. Smitz JE, Cortvrindt RG. The earliest stages of folliculogenesis in vitro. Reproduction 2002; 123(2): 185-202.
4. Boland NI, Humpherson PG, Leese HJ, Gosden RG. Pattern of lactate production and steroidogenesis during growth and maturation of mouse ovarian follicles in vitro. Biol Reprod 1993; 48(4): 798-806.
5. Cortvrindt R, Smitz J, Van Steirteghem AC. Assessment of the need for follicle stimulating hormone in early preantral mouse follicle culture in vitro. Hum Reprod 1997; 12: 759–68.
6. Bishonga C, Takahashi Y, Katagiri S, Nagano M, Ishikawa A. In vitro growth of mouse ovarian preantral follicles and the capacity of their oocytes to develop to the blastocyst stage. J Vet Med Sci 2001; 63(6): 619-24.
7. Mitchell LM, Kennedy CR, Hartshorne GM. Effects of varying gonadotrophin dose and timing on antrum formation and ovulation efficiency of mouse follicles in vitro. Hum Reprod 2002; 17(5): 1181.
8. Demeestere I, Delbaere A, Gervy C, Van Den Bergh M, Devreker F, Englert Y. Effect of preantral follicle isolation technique on in-vitro follicular growth, oocyte maturation and embryo development in mice. Hum Reprod 2002; 17(8): 2152-9.
9. Liu HC, He Z, Rosenwaks Z. In vitro culture and in vitro maturation of mouse preantral follicles with recombinant gonadotropins. Fertil Steril 2002; 77(2): 373-83.
10. Gilchrist RB, Ritter LJ, Armstrong DT. Oocyte-somatic cell interactions during follicle development in mammals. Anim Reprod Sci 2004; 82-83: 431-6.
11. Cecconi S, Rossi G, Palmerini MG. Mouse oocyte differentiation during antral follicle development. Microsc Res Tech 2006; 69(6): 408-14.
12. Feuerstein P, Cadoret V, Dalbies-Tran R, Guerif F, Royere D. Oocyte-cumulus dialog. Gynecol Obstet Fertil 2006; 34(9): 793-800.
13. Reynaud K, Cortvrindt R, Smitz J, Driancourt MA. Effects of Kit Ligand and anti-Kit antibody on growth of cultured mouse pre-antral follicles. Mol Reprod Dev 2000; 56: 483–94.
14. Smitz J, Cortvrindt R, Hu Y. Epidermal growth factor combined with recombinant human chorionic gonadotrophin improves meiotic progression in mouse follicle-enclosed oocyte culture. Hum Reprod 1998; 13(3): 664-9.
15. Mizunuma H, Liu X, Andoh K, Abe Y, Kobayashi J, Yamada K, Yokota H, Ibuki Y, Hasegawa Y. Activin from secondary follicles causes small preantral follicles to remain dormant at the resting stage. Endocrinology 1999; 140: 37–42.
16. Parrott JA, Skinner MK. Developmental and hormonal regulation of keratinocyte growth factor expression and action in the ovarian follicle. Endocrinology 1998; 139: 228–35.
17. Zhou J, Chin E, Bondy C. Cellular pattern of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and IGF-I receptor gene expression in the developing and mature ovarian follicle. Endocrinology 1991; 129: 3281–8.
18. Nilsson EE, Kezele P, Skinner MK. Leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) promotes the primordial to primary follicle transition in rat ovaries. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2002; 188(1-2): 65-73.
19. Paulini F, Melo EO. The role of oocyte-secreted factors GDF9 and BMP15 in follicular development and oogenesis. Reprod Domest Anim. 2011;46(2): 354-61.
20. Juengel JL, Bodensteiner KJ, Heath DA, Hudson N L, Moeller CL, Smith P, et al. Physiology of GDF9 and BMP15 signalling molecules. Anim Reprod Sci. 2004;82-83:447-60.
21. Otsuka F, McTavish KJ, Shimasaki S. Integral role of GDF-9 and BMP-15 in ovarian function. Mol Reprod Dev. 2011;78(1):9-21.
22. . Guéripel X, Brun V, Gougeon A. Oocyte bone morphogenetic protein 15, but not growth differentiation factor 9, is increased during gonadotropininduced follicular development in the immature mouse and is associated with cumulus oophorus expansion. Biol Reprod. 2006;75(6):836-4.
23. Mojdeh Salehnia, Mojdeh Pajokh, Nassim Ghorbanmehr. Short Term Organ Culture of Mouse Ovary in the Medium Supplemented with Bone Morphogenetic Protein 15 and Follicle Stimulating Hormone:A Morphological, Hormonal and Molecular Study. Faculty of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, P.O. BOX:14115-111, Tehran, Iran.
24. Sheena L.P.Regan, Phil G.Knight, John L.Yovich, YeeLeung, FrankArfuso, ArunDharmarajan, Involvement of Bone Morphogenetic Proteins (BMP) in the Regulation of Ovarian Function, Vitamins and Hormones, Volume 107, 2018, Pages 227-61.
25. Kona SS, Chakravarthi VP, Kumar AS, Srividya D, Padmaja K, Rao VH. Quantitative expression patterns of GDF9 and BMP15 genes in sheep ovarian follicles grown in vivo or cultured in vitro. Theriogenology. 2016 Jan 15;85(2):315-22.
26. Pajokh mojde, Salehnia mojde. Evaluation of the Follicular Growth during Mouse Ovarian Culture in Medium Supplemented with Different Doses of Growth Differentiation Factor 9B. P.O.Code: 1411713116, 2013.
- Abstract Viewed: 128 times
- PDF Downloaded: 81 times