The Effect of Different Factors on the Prevention of Periodontal Pocket Formation on the Distal Surface of the Second Molar after Impacted Wisdom Tooth Removal Surgery: A Literature Review
Journal of "Regeneration, Reconstruction & Restoration" (Triple R),
Vol. 6 (2021),
Introduction: The formation of localized periodontal pockets on the distal surface of adjacent molars is known as one of the asymptomatic lesions associated with impacted wisdom teeth. In this study, the effect of different factors on the prevention of periodontal pocket formation on the distal surface of the second molar following impacted wisdom tooth removal surgery was investigated.
Materials and Methods: The present study was a review of the related literature published over the last 10 years. The main tool recruited for this purpose was a researcher-made checklist, developed based on the main objectives of the study. Accordingly, wisdom tooth occlusion, suture technique, flap type, and periodontal envelope, extracted from the articles, were recorded in the relevant checklist. The extracted information was finally imported into the SPSS (ver. 20) software package and analyzed, using descriptive and analytical statistics.
Results: In total, 22 articles, reflecting on the effect of different factors on the prevention of periodontal pocket formation on the distal surface of the second molar following impacted wisdom tooth removal surgery, and meeting the inclusion criteria in this study were retrieved and then reviewed. Based on the preliminary analyses, 15 articles (68.18%) had mentioned periodontal pocket formation after impacted tooth surgery. As well, nine studies had referred to attachment loss in patients. In this review using surveys among patients undergoing surgery, had not demonstrated a significant relationship between periodontal pocket formation and attachment loss. Moreover, eight articles (36.36%) examined flap type employed during the surgery.
Conclusion: It was concluded that impacted wisdom tooth removal surgery had been thus far introduced directly in many studies as a factor affecting the reduction of periodontal complications, including periodontal pocket formation in adjacent teeth.
- Periodontal Pocket
- Surgical Flaps; Sutures
How to Cite
2. Khosravi H, Taziki MH, Mohammadi R. Determination of the angle of impacted mandibular third molar. Journal of Gorgan University of Medical Sciences. 2013;15(2):77-81.
3. Duarte-Rodrigues L, Miranda EFP, Souza TO, de Paiva HN, Falci SGM, Galvão EL. Third molar removal and its impact on quality of life: systematic review and meta-analysis. Qual Life Res. 2018;27(10):2477-89.
4. Mesgarzadeh ah, hasanpur kashani a, jafari m. Effect of surgical removal of impacted third molars on trismus value. Jundishapur scientific medical journal. 2013;12(1 (82)):-.
5. Eliasson S, Heimdahl A, Nordenram A. Pathological changes related to long-term impaction of third molars. A radiographic study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1989;18(4):210-2.
6. Jaroń A, Trybek G. The Pattern of Mandibular Third Molar Impaction and Assessment of Surgery Difficulty: A Retrospective Study of Radiographs in East Baltic Population. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021;18(11).
7. Mokhtari MR, Pourgonabadi S, Bande Gharaee SE, Shahakbari R. Periodontal Problems of Second Molar Tooth after Surgical Removal of Maxillary Second Molar Tooth. Journal of Mashhad Dental School. 2019;43(1):83-90.
8. Hamasha AA, Al Qudah MA, Bataineh AB, Safadi RA. Reasons for third molar teeth extraction in Jordanian adults. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2006;7(5):88-95.
9. Schofield ID, Kogon SL, Donner A. Long-term comparison of two surgical flap designs for third molar surgery on the health of the periodontal tissue of the second molar tooth. J Can Dent Assoc. 1988;54(9):689-91.
10. Jiang H, Su Y, Xiong X, Harville E, Wu H, Jiang Z, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of periodontal disease among pre-conception Chinese women. Reprod Health. 2016;13(1):141.
11. Kamer AR, Pirraglia E, Tsui W, Rusinek H, Vallabhajosula S, Mosconi L, et al. Periodontal disease associates with higher brain amyloid load in normal elderly. Neurobiol Aging. 2015;36(2):627-33.
12. Xi B, He D, Hu Y, Zhou D. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome and its influencing factors among the Chinese adults: the China Health and Nutrition Survey in 2009. Prev Med. 2013;57(6):867-71.
13. Naseh m, gheibi n, jahanihashemi h, azizlou e, alizadeh tabari z. The effect of iranian propolis on dental plaque on dentistry students of qazvin, dental school. Journal of mashhad dental school. 2016;40(2):-.
14. KHABAZIAN A, Azarnoosh F, Sadeghi SM. Evaluation of the effect of non-surgical periodontal therapy on the quality of life associated with oral health in patients with periodontitis and gingivitis referred to periodontology department of Yazd dental school. JOURNAL OF DENTAL MEDICINE. 2020;33(2 #ng0045):-.
15. Ramezanian M. An assessment on the effects of mandibular impacted third molar surgery on the periodontium of the adjacent molar. Journal of Dental Medicine. 2003;16(1):76-81.
16. Karaca I, Simşek S, Uğar D, Bozkaya S. Review of flap design influence on the health of the periodontium after mandibular third molar surgery. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007;104(1):18-23.
17. Shahoun h, khademi j, majidi a. Evaluation of relationship between periodontal pocket on the distal surfaee of mandibular second molar and pattern and depth of third molar impaction. Journal of medical council of iri. 2010;28(1):-.
18. Arjmand monfared H, Khani M, Sharifzadeh G, Nourbakhsh SR. Evaluation of the position of mandibular third molar hidden teeth and its effect on second adjacent molar teeth in panoramic radiography in patients referring to Birjand Dental School in 2018-19. Journal of Birjand University of Medical Sciences. 2020;27(3):291-300.
19. Syed KB, Alshahrani FS, Alabsi WS, Alqahtani ZA, Hameed MS, Mustafa AB, et al. Prevalence of Distal Caries in Mandibular Second Molar Due to Impacted Third Molar. J Clin Diagn Res. 2017;11(3):Zc28-zc30.
20. Ghaeminia H, Hoppenreijs TJ, Xi T, Fennis JP, Maal TJ, Bergé SJ, et al. Postoperative socket irrigation with drinking tap water reduces the risk of inflammatory complications following surgical removal of third molars: a multicenter randomized trial. Clin Oral Investig. 2017;21(1):71-83.
21. Ezoddini Ardakani F, Safi Y, Jamali G. Morphometric evaluation of external root resorption of mandibular second molar teeth adjacent to the impacted third molars in CBCT imaging of Tehran's population between 2011-2014. The Journal of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences. 2017;25(1):63-72.
22. Fallahi HR, Dabaghi A, Almasi NK. Investigating the Relationship between the Type of Impaction of Mandibular Third Molars and the Caries of Distal Surface of Mandibular Second Molars. Jundishapur Scientific Medical Journal. 2017;16(5):547-53.
23. Khzam N, Fell A, Fisher A, Kim P, Khan UA, Bakr MM. A New Multi-Ingredient Recipe for the Treatment of Localized Advanced Periodontal Disease following the Surgical Removal of Impacted Wisdom Teeth. Case Rep Dent. 2016;2016:3847615.
24. De Biase A, Mazzucchi G, Di Nardo D, Lollobrigida M, Serafini G, Testarelli L. Prevention of Periodontal Pocket Formation after Mandibular Third Molar Extraction Using Dentin Autologous Graft: A Split Mouth Case Report. Case Rep Dent. 2020;2020:1762862.
25. Zhang Y, Chen X, Zhou Z, Hao Y, Li H, Cheng Y, et al. Effects of Impacted Lower Third Molar Extraction on Periodontal Tissue of the Adjacent Second Molar. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2021;17:235-47.
26. Corinaldesi G, Lizio G, Badiali G, Morselli-Labate AM, Marchetti C. Treatment of intrabony defects after impacted mandibular third molar removal with bioabsorbable and non-resorbable membranes. J Periodontol. 2011;82(10):1404-13.
27. Aniko-Włodarczyk M, Jaroń A, Preuss O, Grzywacz A, Trybek G. Evaluation of the Effect of Surgical Extraction of an Impacted Mandibular Third Molar on the Periodontal Status of the Second Molar-Prospective Study. J Clin Med. 2021;10(12).
28. Pham TAV, Nguyen NH. Periodontal Status of the Adjacent Second Molar after Impacted Mandibular Third Molar Surgical Extraction. Contemp Clin Dent. 2019;10(2):311-8.
29. Jasim M, Saini R, Ying N. Third Molar Socket Grafting after Surgical Extraction to prevent Periodontal Pocket Formation. International Journal of Experimental Dental Science. 2015;4:65-8.
30. Petsos H, Korte J, Eickholz P, Hoffmann T, Borchard R. Surgical removal of third molars and periodontal tissues of adjacent second molars. J Clin Periodontol. 2016;43(5):453-60.
31. Tian Y, Sun L, Qu H, Yang Y, Chen F. Removal of nonimpacted third molars alters the periodontal condition of their neighbors clinically, immunologically, and microbiologically. Int J Oral Sci. 2021;13(1):5.
32. Passarelli PC, Lajolo C, Pasquantonio G, D'Amato G, Docimo R, Verdugo F, et al. Influence of mandibular third molar surgical extraction on the periodontal status of adjacent second molars. J Periodontol. 2019;90(8):847-55.
33. Fereidooni M, Khakbaz O, Danesh Alukande N, Khafri S. Mandibular Second Molar Periodontal Parameters after Surgical Extraction of Adjacent Impacted Third Molar. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, Pathology and Surgery. 2016;5(3):1-4.
34. Katherine Daniela Luzuriaga Chávez SALJ. Periodontal status of the second molar adjacent to the third mandibular molar. International journal of medical and surgical sciences. 2020;7(Vol. 7 No. 4 (2020): December 2020).
35. Canullo L, Rossi-Fedele G, Camodeca F, Menini M, Pesce P. A Pilot Retrospective Study on the Effect of Bone Grafting after Wisdom Teeth Extraction. Materials (Basel). 2021;14(11).
36. Monaco G, Daprile G, Tavernese L, Corinaldesi G, Marchetti C. Mandibular third molar removal in young patients: an evaluation of 2 different flap designs. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;67(1):15-21.
37. Nunn ME, Fish MD, Garcia RI, Kaye EK, Figueroa R, Gohel A, et al. Retained asymptomatic third molars and risk for second molar pathology. J Dent Res. 2013;92(12):1095-9.
38. Korkmaz YT, Mollaoglu N, Ozmeriç N. Does laterally rotated flap design influence the short-term periodontal status of second molars and postoperative discomfort after partially impacted third molar surgery? J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015;73(6):1031-41.
39. Faria AI, Gallas-Torreira M, López-Ratón M. Mandibular second molar periodontal healing after impacted third molar extraction in young adults. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;70(12):2732-41.
40. Thapliyal GK. Peterson's Principles of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. Med J Armed Forces India. 62: . 2006. p. 89.
- Abstract Viewed: 16 times
- pdf Downloaded: 10 times