How to Find Abutment Screw Channel of a Cement-retained Implant Supported Restoration? A Literature Reviews
Journal of "Regeneration, Reconstruction & Restoration" (Triple R),
Vol. 6 (2021),
13 March 2021
Introduction: Screw loosening is the most common technical complication in cement-retained dental implants. To retrieve screw loosened dental abutment, making abutment screw channel (ASC) is a useful method to access the abutment screw. This article reviews the methods for preparing ASC of cement-retained implant supported restoration.
Materials and Methods: The search was conducted on PubMed, Google Scholar, and Scopus. The keywords were screw loosening, cement-retained implant restoration, screw access hole, abutment screw channel and retrieving.
Results: Having applied the inclusion and exclusion criterion, 24 articles, 21 technical notes, 1 case report, and 2 reviews were found.
Conclusion: The techniques reviewed were categorized into 3 groups of marking techniques, customized guides, and imaging techniques with different outcomes.
- Abutment screw channel
- Implant restoration
- Retrieving; Screw loosening
- Screw access hole
How to Cite
2. Shadid R, Sadaqa N. A comparison between screw- and cement-retained implant prostheses. A literature review. J Oral Implantol. 2012;38(3):298-307.
3. Hamed MT, Abdullah Mously H, Khalid Alamoudi S, Hossam Hashem AB, Hussein Naguib G. A Systematic Review of Screw versus Cement-Retained Fixed Implant Supported Reconstructions. Clin Cosmet Investig Dent. 2020;12:9-16.
4. Hebel KS, Gajjar RC. Cement-retained versus screw-retained implant restorations: achieving optimal occlusion and esthetics in implant dentistry. J Prosthet Dent. 1997;77(1):28-35.
5. Duncan JP, Nazarova E, Vogiatzi T, Taylor TD. Prosthodontic complications in a prospective clinical trial of single-stage implants at 36 months. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2003;18(4):561-5.
6. Radi IA, Alfahd A. A technique for retrieving cement-retained implant prostheses. J Prosthet Dent. 2016;116(6):848-50.
7. Schoenbaum TR, Chang YY, Klokkevold PR. Screw-access marking: a technique to simplify retrieval of cement-retained implant prostheses. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2013;34(3):230-6.
8. Janardanan K, Varkey V, Lovely M, Anuroopa A. Coronal disassembly systems and techniques: An overview. Journal of Interdisciplinary Dentistry. 2014;4(1):33-40.
9. Wicks R, Shintaku WH, Johnson A. Three-dimensional location of the retaining screw axis for a cemented single tooth implant restoration. J Prosthodont. 2012;21(6):491-3.
10. Okamoto M, Minagi S. Technique for removing a cemented superstructure from an implant abutment. J Prosthet Dent. 2002;87(2):241-2.
11. Mai HN, Kim KR, Lee DH. Non-Radiological Method for Fabrication of a Screw-Channel Drilling Guide in Cement-Retained Implant Restorations Using Intraoral Digital Scanning and Imaging Superimposition: A Clinical Report. J Prosthodont. 2017;26(1):88-92.
12. Schwedhelm ER, Raigrodski AJ. A technique for locating implant abutment screws of posterior cement-retained metal-ceramic restorations with ceramic occlusal surfaces. J Prosthet Dent. 2006;95(2):165-7.
13. Ahmed A, Maroulakos G, Garaicoa J. Acrylic resin guide for locating the abutment screw access channel of cement-retained implant prostheses. J Prosthet Dent. 2016;115(5):560-3.
14. Lautensack J, Weber V, Wolfart S. Template to determine the position and angulation of the abutment screw channel for implant-supported, cement-retained restorations. J Prosthet Dent. 2012;107(2):134-6.
15. Hill EE. A simple, permanent index for abutment screw access for cemented implant-supported crowns. J Prosthet Dent. 2007;97(5):313-4.
16. Doerr J. Simplified technique for retrieving cemented implant restorations. J Prosthet Dent. 2002;88(3):352-3.
17. Tarlow JL. A modified technique to locate the abutment screw access opening of a cemented implant-supported restoration. J Prosthet Dent. 2012;108(1):58-9.
18. Wadhwani C, Chung KH. Simple device for locating the abutment screw position of a cement-retained implant restoration. J Prosthet Dent. 2013;109(4):272-4.
19. Lee DH. CAD/CAM-fabricated template for locating implant abutment screws in cement-retained anatomic zirconia restorations. J Prosthet Dent. 2015;114(3):343-5.
20. Kang HW, Lee DH. Using a guide template with a handpiece sleeve to locate the abutment screw position of a cement-retained implant restoration. J Prosthet Dent. 2015;114(3):339-42.
21. Mai HN, Kim KR, Lee DH. Double-Step Image Superimposition Technique for Fabricating a Drilling Guide to Access the Abutment Screw in Implant Prostheses. Int J Prosthodont. 2016;29(4):406-8.
22. Asiri W, Domagala D, Cho SH, Thompson GA. A method of locating the abutment screw access channel with cone-beam computed tomography and a 3D-printed drilling guide. J Prosthet Dent. 2018;119(2):210-3.
23. Park JI, Yoon TH. A three-dimensional image-superimposition CAD/CAM technique to record the position and angulation of the implant abutment screw access channel. J Prosthet Dent. 2013;109(1):57-60.
24. Patil PG. A technique for repairing a loosening abutment screw for a cement-retained implant prosthesis. J Prosthodont. 2011;20(8):652-5.
25. Figueras-Alvarez O, Cedeño R, Cano-Batalla J, Cabratosa-Termes J. A method for registering the abutment screw position of cement-retained implant restorations. J Prosthet Dent. 2010;104(1):60-2.
26. Figueras-Alvarez O, Cano-Batalla J. An alternative method for registering the abutment screw position of cement-retained implant restorations. J Prosthet Dent. 2014;112(5):1304-5.
27. Daher T1 MS. The use of digital photographs to locate implant abutment screws for implant-supported cement-retained restorations. 2008 Sep.
28. Oh KC, Moon HS. Combining digital photography with cylinder-type magnets to record the screw access hole in a cement-retained implant prosthesis. J Prosthet Dent. 2016;115(5):643-4.
29. Lee JH. A technique for recording the abutment screw angulation of cement-retained implant prostheses. J Prosthet Dent. 2015;114(5):741-2.
30. Daher T, Morgano SM. The use of digital photographs to locate implant abutment screws for implant-supported cement-retained restorations. J Prosthet Dent. 2008;100(3):238-9.
31. Schoenbaum TR, Chang YY, Stevenson RG. Screw Access Mark for Cemented Implant Crowns: A Universal Technique to Simplify Retrievability. J Oral Implantol. 2018;44(1):71-3.
- Abstract Viewed: 39 times
- PDF Downloaded: 21 times