Efficacy of Potassium Citrate Solution in the Treatment of Renal Microlithiasis in Children 1 Month to 15 Years-old
Journal of Pediatric Nephrology,
Vol. 9 No. 4 (2021),
10 November 2021
Background and objective: The present research aims to determine efficacy of potassium citrate solution in the treatment of renal microlithiasis in children one month to 15 years old in Shahrekord Pediatric Nephrology Clinic.
Methodology: In this clinical trial study, 60 children aged 1 month to 15 years referred to Shahrekord Pediatric Nephrology Clinic who had one or two (microlithiasis) less than 3 mm in ultrasound; They were included in the study by available sampling. Children were randomly divided into 2 groups receiving placebo (water) and receiving potassium citrate solution. After 3 months, the number and size of stones and the consequences of stones were recorded in both groups and analyzed using SPSS software and relevant statistical tests.
Results: Out of 60 children studied, 34 were male (56.7%) and 26 were females (43.3%) with a mean age of 61.62 47 47.54 months. After 3 months of intervention, the mean number and size of stones in each group had a significant decrease (P <0.001) and this amount was lower in the group receiving potassium citrate than the group receiving placebo, but this difference was not statistically significant (<0.05). P). Also, the consequences of kidney stones in both groups were similar and there was no significant difference (P <0.05).
Conclusion: The results of this study showed that potassium citrate solution has no effect on the treatment of one or two microlithiasis in children and in these patients the use of supportive therapy is still sufficient.
Keywords: Kidney stones, Microlithiasis, Children, Potassium citrate
- potassium Citrate
How to Cite
2. Otukesh H, Hoseini R. Evidence based practice in pediatric urolithiasis. J Pediatr Nephrol. 2013;1:46-51.
3. Cameron MA, Sakhaee K, Moe OW. Nephrolithiasis in children. Pediatric Nephrology. 2005;20(11):1587-92.
4. Smith RC, Rosenfield AT, Choe KA, Essenmacher KR, Verga M, Glickman MG, et al. Acute flank pain: comparison of non-contrast-enhanced CT and intravenous urography. Radiology. 1995;194(3):789-94.
5. van’t Hoff WG. Aetiological factors in paediatric urolithiasis. Nephron Clinical practice. 2004;98(2):c45-c8.
6. Miyake O, Kakimoto K, Tsujihata M, Yoshimura K, Takahara S, Okuyama A. Strong inhibition of crystal–cell attachment by pediatric urinary macromolecules: a close relationship with high urinary citrate secretion. Urology. 2001;58(3):493-7.
7. Dursun I, Poyrazoglu HM, Dusunsel R, Gunduz Z, Gurgoze MK, Demirci D, et al. Pediatric urolithiasis: an 8-year experience of single centre. International urology and nephrology. 2008;40(1):3-9.
8. Sarica K. Pediatric urolithiasis: etiology, specific pathogenesis and medical treatment. Urological research. 2006;34(2):96-101.
9. Hulton S. Evaluation of urinary tract calculi in children. Archives of disease in childhood. 2001;84(4):320-3.
10. Fahlenkamp D, Noack B, Lebentrau S, Belz H. [Urolithiasis in children--rational diagnosis, therapy, and metaphylaxis]. Der Urologe Ausg A. 2008;47(5):545-50, 52-5.
11. Cohen TD, Ehreth J, King LR, Preminger GM. Pediatric urolithiasis: medical and surgical management. Urology. 1996;47(3):292-303.
12. Alon US, Zimmerman H, Alon M. Evaluation and treatment of pediatric idiopathic urolithiasis—revisited. Pediatric Nephrology. 2004;19(5):516-20.
13. Srivastava T, Alon US. Urolithiasis in adolescent children. Adolescent medicine clinics. 2005;16(1):87.
14. Dogan HS, Tekgul S. Management of pediatric stone disease. Current urology reports. 2007;8(2):163-73.
15. Van Savage JG, Palanca LG, Andersen RD, Rao GS, Slaughenhoupt BL. Treatment of distal ureteral stones in children: similarities to the American Urological Association guidelines in adults. The Journal of urology. 2000;164(3):1089-93.
16. Bilge I, Yilmaz A, Kayiran SM, Emre S, Kadioglu A, Yekeler E, et al. Clinical importance of renal calyceal microlithiasis in children. Pediatrics International. 2013;55(6):731-6.
17. Polito C, Apicella A, Marte A, Signoriello G, La Manna A. Clinical presentation and metabolic features of overt and occult urolithiasis. Pediatric Nephrology. 2012;27(1):101-7.
18. Fallahzadeh MA, Hassanzadeh J, Fallahzadeh MH. What do we know about pediatric renal microlithiasis? Journal of renal injury prevention. 2017;6(2):70.
19. Hoppe B, Kemper MJ. Diagnostic examination of the child with urolithiasis or nephrocalcinosis. Pediatric nephrology. 2010;25(3):403-13.
20. Malaki M. The comparison of ultrasound and non-contrast helical computerized tomography for children nephrolithiasis detection. Urology annals. 2014;6(4):309.
21. Polito C, Cioce F, La Manna A, Maiello R, Di Toro R. Renal calyceal microlithiasis: clinical presentation may precede sonographic evidence. Clinical pediatrics. 1999;38(9):521-4.
22. Milošević D, Batinić D, Turudić D, Batinić D, Topalović-Grković M, Gradiški IP. Demographic characteristics and metabolic risk factors in Croatian children with urolithiasis. European journal of pediatrics. 2014;173(3):353-9.
23. Sorkhi H HF, Bijani A. [Efficacy of potassium citrate solution in children with urolithiasis. J Babol Univ Med Sci. 2011;13(6):73-9.] Persian.
24. Sorkhi H, Hedaiati F, Bijani A. Efficacy of Potassium Citrate Solution in Children with Urolithiasis. Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences. 2011;13(6):73-9.
25. Mokhless IA, Sakr MA, Abdeldaeim HM, Hashad MM. Radiolucent renal stones in children: combined use of shock wave lithotripsy and dissolution therapy. Urology. 2009;73(4):772-5.
26. Sarica K, Erturhan S, Yurtseven C, Yaǧci F. Effect of potassium citrate therapy on stone recurrence and regrowth after extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy in children. Journal of endourology. 2006;20(11):875-9.
27. Tekin A, Tekgul S, Atsu N, Bakkaloglu M, Kendi S. Oral potassium citrate treatment for idiopathic hypocitruria in children with calcium urolithiasis. The Journal of urology. 2002;168(6):2572-4.
28. Miller NL, Lingeman JE. Management of kidney stones. Bmj. 2007;334(7591):468-72.
29. Mohammadjafari H, Kosaryan M, Tahernassab Z. Efficacy of Potassium Citrate in Treatment of Nephrolithiasis Less Than 7mm Diameter in Children without Any Metabolic or Infectious Risk Factors. Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences. 2017;27(152):40-9.
- Abstract Viewed: 224 times
- PDF Downloaded: 154 times