Bilateral Nephromegaly in a Child with Severe Iron-Deficiency Anemia
Journal of Pediatric Nephrology,
Vol. 9 No. 4 (2021),
10 Aban 2021
Nephromegaly in childhood can result from a wide variety of causes, yet iron-deficiency anemia has not been previously described. We report a child with severe iron-deficiency anemia associated with transient bilateral nephromegaly. We hypothesize that increased renal production of erythropoietin as well as greater cardiac output with subsequent glomerular hyperfiltration secondary to critical anemia explained the observed nephromegaly. The normalization of kidney size following resolution of anemia supports this hypothesis. Our case report suggests an additional etiology of bilateral nephromegaly in the pediatric population and thus merits attention among physicians.
- anemia; erythropoietin; hypoxia; nephromegaly
How to Cite
2. Organization, W.H., Worldwide prevalence of anaemia 1993-2005: WHO global database on anaemia. 2008.
3. Souma, T., N. Suzuki, and M. Yamamoto, Renal erythropoietin-producing cells in health and disease. Frontiers in physiology, 2015. 6: p. 167.
4. Jelkmann, W., Regulation of erythropoietin production. J Physiol, 2011. 589(Pt 6): p. 1251-8.
5. Haase, V.H., Hypoxia-inducible factors in the kidney. American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology, 2006. 291(2): p. F271-F281.
6. Mozos, I., Mechanisms linking red blood cell disorders and cardiovascular diseases. BioMed research international, 2015. 2015.
7. Wintrobe, M.M., The cardiovascular system in anemia: with a note on the particular abnormalities in sickle cell anemia. Blood, 1946. 1(2): p. 121-128.
8. Hirschberg, R., Glomerular hyperfiltration in sickle cell disease. 2010, Am Soc Nephrol.
9. Olaniran, K.O., et al., Sickle cell nephropathy in the pediatric population. Blood purification, 2019. 47(1-3): p. 205-213.
10. Nath, K.A. and R.P. Hebbel, Sickle cell disease: renal manifestations and mechanisms. Nature Reviews Nephrology, 2015. 11(3): p. 161.
11. Alhwiesh, A., An update on sickle cell nephropathy. Saudi Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation, 2014. 25(2): p. 249.
- Abstract Viewed: 238 times
- PDF Downloaded: 195 times