Long-Term Outcome of Kidney Transplantation in Children According to Type of Transplantation in Mashhad, Iran The outcome of kidney transplantation in Mashhad
Journal of Pediatric Nephrology,
Vol. 9 No. 4 (2021),
10 November 2021
Background and Aim: Kidney transplantation is the preferred treatment modality for end-stage renal disease (ESRD) in children. Despite its benefits and advances that have been accomplished, pediatric kidney transplantation remains a challenge in terms of achieving a satisfactory outcome. We sought to evaluate the outcome of pediatric kidney transplantation in Mashhad.
Methods: Data were acquired retrospectively from children below 18 years old who underwent kidney transplantation in three main hospitals of Mashhad from 2000 to 2014. After obtaining written informed consent from parents, data were collected using a questionnaire and analyzed with the SPSS software.
Results: Of 52 children, 51.9% were boys and 48.1% were girls with a mean age of 13.3 ± 4.3 years. Among them, 8 (15.4%) children received transplants from relative live donors, 16 (30.8%) from non-relative live donors, and 28 (53.8%) from deceased donors. The most common etiology leading to ESRD in these children was reflux nephropathy in 18 (34.6%) patients. After a 5-year follow-up period, the graft survival rate was 69.2% with infection being the most common cause of transplant rejection. Moreover, 13.5% of children died, mostly due to surgical complications.
Conclusion: We found that to increase the survival rate of pediatric kidney transplantation in Mashhad, first the surgical methods should be enhanced as they were recognized as the most common cause of death. In addition, infection control in children, as the most common cause of transplant rejection, should be improved.
How to Cite
2. Harambat J, Cochat P. Growth after renal transplantation. Pediatr Nephrol. 2009;24(7):1297-306.
3. Qvist E. Outcome of renal transplantation in early childhood. 2002.
4. Gheissari A, Hemmatzadeh S, Merrikhi A, Tehrani SF, Madihi Y. Chronic kidney disease in children: A report from a tertiary care center over 11 years. J nephropathol. 2012;1(3):177.
5. Naderi G, Latif A, Karimi S, Tabassomi F, Esfahani S. The long-term outcome of pediatric kidney transplantation in Iran: Results of a 25-year single-center cohort study. Int j organ transplant med. 2017;8(2):85.
6. Hart A, Smith J, Skeans M, Gustafson S, Wilk A, Castro S, et al. OPTN/SRTR 2017 annual data report: kidney. Am J Transplant. 2019;19:19-123.
7. Dharnidharka VR, Fiorina P, Harmon WE. Kidney transplantation in children. N Eng J Med. 2014;371(6):549-58.
8. Badet L, Matillon X, Codas R, Timsit M, Thuret R, Kleinclauss F, et al. Pediatric kidney transplantation. Progres en urologie : journal de l'Association francaise d'urologie et de la Societe francaise d'urologie. 2016;26(15):1045.
9. Bilginer Y, Aki F, Topaloglu R, Tekgul S, Demirkaya E, Düzova A, et al. Renal transplantation in children with lower urinary tract dysfunction of different origin: a single-center experience. Transplant proc. 2008;40(1):85-6.
10. Benfield MR, McDonald RA, Bartosh S, Ho P, Harmon W. Changing trends in pediatric transplantation: 2001 annual report of the North American Pediatric Renal Transplant Cooperative Study. Pediatr transplant. 2003;7(4):321-35.
11. Kranz B, Vester U, Nadalin S, Paul A, Broelsch CE, Hoyer PF. Outcome after kidney transplantation in children with thrombotic risk factors. Pediatr transplant. 2006;10(7):788-93.
12. Minnick ML, Boynton S, Ndirangu J, Furth S. Sex, race, and socioeconomic disparities in kidney disease in children. Semin nephrol. 2010;30(1):26-32.
13. Longshan L, Huanxi Z, Qian F, Liping C, Chuanhou S, Yunyi X, et al. Current status of pediatric kidney transplantation in China: data analysis of Chinese Scientific Registry of Kidney Transplantation. Chin med j. 2014;127(3):506-10.
14. Otukesh H, Hoseini R, Rahimzadeh N, Fereshtehnejad SM, Simfroosh N, Basiri A, et al. Outcome of renal transplantation in children: A multi‐center national report from Iran. Pediatr transplant. 2011;15(5):533-8.
15. Harambat J, Ranchin B, Bertholet‐Thomas A, Mestrallet G, Bacchetta J, Badet L, et al. Long‐term critical issues in pediatric renal transplant recipients: a single‐center experience. Transplant Int. 2013;26(2):154-61.
16. Otukesh H, Basiri A, Simfrosh N, Hoseini R, Sharifian M, Sadigh N, et al. Outcome of pediatric renal transplantation in Labfi Nejad Hospital, Tehran, Iran. Pediatr Nephrol. 2006;21(10):1459-63.
17. Hazza I, Al-Mardini R, Salaita G. Pediatric renal transplantation: Jordan's experience. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transplant. 2013;24(1):157.
18. Vasudevan A, Iyengar A, Jose B, Phadke K. Pediatric renal transplantation: a single-center experience. Transplant proc. 2008;40(4):1095-8.
19. Harambat J, Van Stralen K, Schaefer F, Grenda R, Jankauskiene A, Kostic M, et al. Disparities in policies, practices and rates of pediatric kidney transplantation in Europe. Am J Transplant. 2013;13(8):2066-74.
20. Kiberd JA, Acott P, Kiberd BA. Kidney transplant survival in pediatric and young adults. BMC nephrol. 2011;12(1):54.
21. Van Arendonk KJ, Boyarsky BJ, Orandi BJ, James NT, Smith JM, Colombani PM, et al. National trends over 25 years in pediatric kidney transplant outcomes. Pediatr. 2014;133(4):594-601.
22. Assadi F. Pediatric Kidney Transplantation Kids are Different. Iran j kidney dis. 2013;7(6).
23. Torkaman M, Khalili-Matin-Zadeh Z, Azizabadi-Farahani M, Moghani-Lankarani M, Assari S, Pourfarziani V, et al. Outcome of living kidney transplant: pediatric in comparison to adults. Transplant proc. 2007;39(4):1088-90.
24. Allain‐Launay E, Roussey‐Kesler G, Ranchin B, Guest G, Maisin A, Novo R, et al. Mortality in pediatric renal transplantation: a study of the French pediatric kidney database. Pediatr transplant. 2009;13(6):725-30.
25. Kute VB, Trivedi HL, Vanikar AV, Shah PR, Gumber MR, Patel HV, et al. Long‐term outcome of deceased donor renal transplantation in pediatric recipients: A single‐center experience from a developing country. Pediatr transplant. 2012;16(6):651-7.
- Abstract Viewed: 233 times
- PDF Downloaded: 163 times