Urodynamic Study in Children
Journal of Pediatric Nephrology,
Vol. 5 No. 2 (2017),
1 January 2018
A b s t r a c t:
Urodynamic study (UDS) is a serial of clinical tests, like uroflowmetry, filling cystometry, pressure-flow studies and assessment of urethral closure pressure. These tests include urethral pressure profilometry and also measurement of the leak-point pressure of lower urinary system. UDS is one of the essential clinical studies in children complaining of voiding dysfunction, neurogenic bladder, urine incontinence, enuresis and another lower urinary tract symptom. The aim of proper bladder management in these patients is to maintain the lower urinary tract to have good capacity, low pressure, preventing infection and incontinence. Long term goal is preventing any undue damage to the upper urinary tracts and intact kidneys function. This review article of pediatric urodynamic study provides a classified diagnostic approach to bladder dysfunctions in children.
- Lower urinary tract
- Neurogenic bladder
How to Cite
Danielle Reyes C, Gabriela Retamal, Pedro-Jose Lopez E. Urodynamic Study of Urinary Tract Diseases in Children, pediatric urology book
Anupam Gupta and Arun B Taly, Urodynamic profile of patients with neurogenic bladder following non-traumatic myelopathies, Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2013 Jan-Mar; 16(1): 42–46.
Divyesh Y. Desai, A review of urodynamic evaluation in children and its role in the management of boys with posterior urethral valves, Indian J Urol. 2007 Oct-Dec; 23(4): 435–442
Ellen Shapiro, Urodynamics in Children, Rev Urol. 2012; 14(1-2): 36–38
- Yeung CK. Pathophysiology of bladder dysfunction. In: Pediatric urology. Philadelphia: ; 2001. W.B. Saunders company
- Wen JG, Yeung CK, Djurhuus JC. Cystometry techniques in female infants and children. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2000; 11(2):103-12.
Kaufman MR, DeMarco RT, Pope JC, 4th, et al. High yield of urodynamics performed for refractory nonneurogenic dysfunctional voiding in the pediatric population. J Urol. 2006;176:1835–1837
-Guerra LA, Pike J, Milks J, et al. Outcome in patients who underwent tethered cord release for occult spinal dysraphism. J Urol. 2006;176(4 Pt 2):1729–1732
-Tomonori Yamanishia,*, Ryuji Sakakibarab, Tomoyuki Uchiyamac, Koichi Hirata, Role of urodynamic studies in the diagnosis and treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms, Urological Science 22 (2011) 120-128
-Nevéus T, von Gontard A, Hoebeke P, et al. The standardization of terminology of lower urinary tract function in children and adolescents: report from the Standardisation Committee of the International Children’s Continence Society. J Urol. 2006;176:314–324
- Nijman RJM, Bower W, Butler U, et al. Diagnosis and management of urinary incontinence and encopresis in childhood. In: P Abrams, L Cardozo, S Khoury, et al., editors. 3rd International Consultation on Incontinence. Paris: Health Publications Ltd; 2005. pp. 967–1057.
- Wen JG, Yang L, Xing L, Wang YL, Jin CN, Zhang Q. A Study on Voiding Pattern of Newborns with Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy. Urology. 2012 Apr 25.
- Lopez Pereira P, Martinez Urrutia MJ, Jaureguizar E. Initial and long-term management of posterior urethral valves. World J Urol. 2004;22:418–24.
- Lorenzo AJ, Wallis MC, Cook A, et al. What is the variability in urodynamic parameters with position change in children? Analysis of a prospectively enrolled
cohort. J Urol. 2007;178:2567–2570
- Bauer SB. Neurogenic bladder: etiology and assessment. Pediatr Nephrol. 2008;23:541–551
- Bael A, Lax H, de Jong TP, et al. The relevance of urodynamic studies for Urge syndrome and dysfunctional voiding: a multicenter controlled trial in children. J Urol. 2008;180:1486–1493. discussion 1494–1495
- C. J. Griffiths and R. S. Pickard, Review of invasive urodynamics and progress towards non-invasive measurements in the assessment of bladder outlet obstruction, Indian J Urol. 2009 Jan-Mar; 25(1): 83–91
-Rittig S, Kamperis K, Siggaard C, et al. Age related nocturnal urine volume and maximum voided volume in healthy children: reappraisal of International Children's Continence Society definitions. J Urol. 2010, 183(4):1561-1567
-Churchill B., Abramson R., Whal W. Disfunción de la parte baja de las vias urinarias y porcion distal del tubo digestivo en pacientes pediatricos con trastornos diagnosticados de la medula espinal, Clinicas Pediatricas de Norteamérica Urología 2001
- Hooman N. Validity and reliability of Persian translated version of Pediatric Lower Urinary Tract Scoring System Questionnaire for Iranian children.Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2013 Aug; 27(3): 147–152.PMCID: PMC3917488]
- Kajbafzadeh AM, Yazdi CA, Rouhi O, Tajik P, Mohseni P. Uroflowmetry nomogram in Iranian children aged 7 to 14 years. BMC Urol. 2005 Mar 16;5:3. PubMed PMID:
; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC1079892.
- Abstract Viewed: 624 times
- PDF Downloaded: 362 times