The Effectiveness of Group Choice Theory and Reality Therapy Training on Reducing the Aggression in Female Students
International Journal of Applied Behavioral Sciences,
Vol. 3 No. 4 (2016),
29 January 2018
Background: Nowadays violence and aggression are one of the problems that have been seen in several levels and dimensions in the world. The present study investigated the effect of group choice theory and reality therapy training on the reduction of aggression among female students.Materials and Methods: The study employed a quasi-experimental method and a pretest- posttest with control group design. The population included all female high school students in academic year 2015-2016. Research instruments was Buss and Perry Aggression Questionnaire (BPAQ). 34 participants who achieve higher scores on BPAQ were randomly selected and assigned into one experimental and one control group (each group17 students). Experimental group received eight sessions of 1/2 hours training and control group receive no intervention till the end of the study. Data analyzed by using ANCOVA test.Results: Findings showed that group reality therapy training, significantly decreased aggression scores in experimental group (P<0.05).Conclusion: This study confirmed the effect of group choice theory and reality therapy on the reduction of aggression among high school aggressive female students.
- Group Training
- Choice theory
- Reality therapy
- Taghvaei D, Badiyi S. Analyzing the effect of teaching responsibility on the basis of reality therapy on reducing the aggression in Arak female students. European Journal of Experimental Biology.2014; 4(1):153-159.
- Roberton, T., Daffern, M., & Bucks, R. S. Emotion regulation and aggression. Aggression and violent behavior.2012; 17(1): 72-82.
- Lynch RJ, Kistner JA, Stephens HF, David-Ferdon C. Positively Biased Self-Perceptions of Peer Acceptance and Subtypes of Aggression in Children. Aggressive behavior. 2016;42(1):82-96. doi:10.1002/ab.21611.
- Webster, GD. Low self-esteem is related to aggression, but especially when controlling for gender: A replication and extension of Donnellan et al. Representative Research in Social Psychology.2006; 29: 12-25.
- Ehrenreich SE, Beron KJ, Brinkley DY, Underwood MK. Family Predictors of Continuity and Change in Social and Physical Aggression from Ages 9 – 18. Aggressive behavior. 2014;40(5):421-439.
- Sedaghat A, Moradi A, Ahmadian H. The effectiveness of group cognitive - behavioral of anger control on aggression among the aggressive female students. Journal of Medical Sciences, Islamic Azad University. 2014; 24 (4): 215-220.
- Attari Y, Haghighi J, KhanehKeshi Z. The Relationship between the level of emotional stability, community-oriented and aggressive behavior with academic performance between girls and boys of the third grade-guidance in the city of Ahvaz. Journal of Education and Psychology, University of Shahid Chamran.2002; 3(9):1-12.
- Kellam S, Ialongo N, Brown H, Laudolff J, Mirsky A, Anthony B, et al. Attention Problems in First Grade and Shy and Aggressive Behaviors as Antecedents to Later Heavy or Inhibited Substance Use. Problems of Drug Dependence. 1989; 368-369.
- Shakeri J, JaberQaderi N, Rezaei M, Saidie M, Naleini M, Molodi AS. Status of psychosocial factors in patients with coronary artery disease in Kermanshah. Journal of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences Journal.2012; 16(3):20-27.
- Warner-Czyz AD, Loy BA, Evans C, Wetsel A, Tobey EA. Self-Esteem in Children and Adolescents With Hearing Loss. Trends in Hearing. 2015;19:2331216515572615.
- Malakpour M, Zanganeh, S, Aghababaei S. Psychometric properties of the short form questionnaire Novako anger in the Esfahan city. Journal of Cognitive and Behavioral Sciences.2012; 1(2):25-35.
- Sadock BJ, Sadock VA. Kaplan and Sadock's synopsis of psychiatry: Behavioral sciences/clinical psychiatry: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins;2011.
- Duba, JD, Graham M, Brizman M, Minatrea N. Introducing the" Basic Needs Genogram" in Reality Therapy-based Marriage and Family Counseling. International Journal of Reality Therapy. 2009; 2:15–19.
- Faber AW, Patterson DR, Bremer M. Repeated Use of Immersive Virtual Reality Therapy to Control Pain during Wound Dressing Changes in Pediatric and Adult Burn Patients. Journal of burn care & research : official publication of the American Burn Association. 2013;34(5):563-568.
- Lohse KR, Hilderman CGE, Cheung KL, Tatla S, Van der Loos HFM. Virtual Reality Therapy for Adults Post-Stroke: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Exploring Virtual Environments and Commercial Games in Therapy. Quinn TJ, ed. PLoS ONE. 2014;9(3):e93318.
- Wubbolding RE. Reality therapy. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association;2010.
- Wubbolding R.E., Brickell J, Imhof L., Kim R, Lojk L., Al-Rashidi B. Reality therapy: A global perspective. International Journal for the advancement of counselling.2004; 26(3): 219-228.
- Wubbolding RE. Reality therapy/Choice theory. Counseling and psychotherapy: Theories and interventions.2011; 1:263-285.
- Law FM, Guo GJ. Who is in charge of your recovery? The effectiveness of reality therapy for female drug offenders in Taiwan. International journal of offender therapy and comparative criminology.2014; 58(6): 672-696.
- Jahromi MK, Mosallanejad L. The Impact of Reality Therapy on Metacognition, Stress and Hope in Addicts. Global Journal of Health Science. 2014;6(6):281-287.
- Glasser W. Choice theory. Translated by Sahebi Ali. Tehran: Ayeh Sokhan;2013.
- Mohammadi N. A preliminary study on the psychometric indices buss-Perry Aggression Questionnaire. Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities Shiraz University.2006; 25(4):30-35.
- Pooravari M, Habibi M, Salehi S. (in press) Investigation the Psychometric Properties of Buss and Perry Aggression Questionnaire: In Non-Clinical Group.
- Mstary Farahani Y. The effect of teaching responsibility with reality therapy on aggression in male adolescents in Saveh. Master's thesis, Allameh Tabatabaei University;2012.
- Lee Sk. A study on a counseling program for Decrease of Aggression through Reality Therapy. International Journal of Reality Therapy.2011; 2(2):401-410.
- Abstract Viewed: 607 times
- PDF Downloaded: 713 times