Assessment of the Prognostic Effect of Blood Urea Nitrogen to Serum Albumin Ratio in Patients with Fournier’s Gangrene in a Referral Center
23 February 2021
Purpose: To assess the prognostic effect of blood urea nitrogen to serum albumin ratio in patients with Fournier’s gangrene (FG) in a referral center in order to reduce the mortality of FG patients.
Materials and Methods: Patients with FG were admitted and enrolled consecutively in this study from March 2008 to April 2020. Statistical analysis was done to evaluate the differences between the two groups and to identify the best cutoff value to predict mortality and the need for intensive care.
Results: Of all 114 patients, 46 patients (40.35%) died in the course of hospitalization and 40 entered the study. No variable manifested a notable difference except for the BUN to albumin ratio, which was significantly different (P-value = 0.045). The ratio of BUN to albumin was not associated with any other variables and was independently a predictor of death in FG patients.
Conclusion: The ratio of BUN to albumin was significantly different among deceased and survived patients with FG. Therefore, more studies with a larger sample size are still needed to access this parameter properly.
- Fournier’s Gangrene, Blood Urea Nitrogen, Serum Albumin, Mortality
How to Cite
2. Tenório CE, Lima SV, Albuquerque AV, Cavalcanti MP, Teles F. Risk factors for mortality in fournier's gangrene in a general hospital: use of simplified founier gangrene severe index score (SFGSI). International braz j urol. 2018 Feb;44(1):95-101.
3. Chernyadyev SA, Ufimtseva MA, Vishnevskaya IF, Bochkarev YM, Ushakov AA, Beresneva TA, Galimzyanov FV, Khodakov VV. Fournier’s gangrene: literature review and clinical cases. Urologia internationalis. 2018;101:91-7.
4. Yanar H, Taviloglu K, Ertekin C, Guloglu R, Zorba U, Cabioglu N, Baspinar I. Fournier’s gangrene: risk factors and strategies for management. World journal of surgery. 2006 Sep 1;30(9):1750-4.
5. Danesh HA, Saboury M, Sabzi A, Saboury M, Jafary M, Saboury S. Don’t underestimate fournier’s gangrene: report of 8 cases in 10 month survey. Medical journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran. 2015;29:172.
6. Czymek R, Frank P, Limmer S, Schmidt A, Jungbluth T, Roblick U, Bürk C, Bruch HP, Kujath P. Fournier’s gangrene: is the female gender a risk factor?. Langenbeck's archives of surgery. 2010 Feb 1;395(2):173-80.
7. Kuzaka B, Wróblewska MM, Borkowski T, Kawecki D, Kuzaka P, Młynarczyk G, Radziszewski P. Fournier’s gangrene: Clinical presentation of 13 cases. Medical science monitor: international medical journal of experimental and clinical research. 2018;24:548.
8. Feng DY, Zhou YQ, Zou XL, Zhou M, Yang HL, Chen XX, Zhang TT. Elevated Blood Urea Nitrogen-to-Serum Albumin Ratio as a Factor That Negatively Affects the Mortality of Patients with Hospital-Acquired Pneumonia. Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases and Medical Microbiology. 2019;2019.
9. Jyothi S, Basavaraj B, Gurupadappa K. The prognostic implication of serum albumin and BUN/Albumin ratio in assessing severity and mortality in community acquired pneumonia (CAP). International Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Research. 2019;6:79-81.
10. Ugajin M, Yamaki K, Iwamura N, Yagi T, Asano T. Blood urea nitrogen to serum albumin ratio independently predicts mortality and severity of community-acquired pneumonia. International journal of general medicine. 2012;5:583.
11. Akpinar EE, Hosgun D, Doganay B, Gulhan M. The role of albumin level and blood urea nitrogen/albumin ratio in prediction of prognosis of community acquired pneuomonia. J Pulm Respir Med. 2013;3(159):2.
12. Yeniyol CO, Suelozgen T, Arslan M, Ayder AR. Fournier’s gangrene: experience with 25 patients and use of fournier’s gangrene severity index score. Elsevier Inc. 2004; 64:218-22.
13. Tuncel A, Aydin O, Tekdogan U, Nalcacioglu V, Capar Y, Atan A. Fournier’s Gangrene: Three Years of Experience with 20 Patients and Validity of the Fournier’s Gangrene Severity Index Score. European urology. 2006; 50:838–43.
14. Marco SL, Budía A, Capua CD, Broseta E, Cruz FJ. Evaluation of a severity score to predict the prognosis of Fournier’s gangrene. BJU INT’L. 2009; 106:373-6.
15. Corcoran AT, Smaldone MC, Gibbons EP, Walsh TJ, Davies BJ. Validation of the Fournier’s gangrene severity index in a large contemporary series. J Urol 2008; 180: 944–814
16. Laor E, Palmer LS, Tolia BM, Reid RE, Winter HI. Outcome prediction in patients with Fournier’s gangrene. J Urol. 1995; 154:89-92.
17. Kos M, Hocazade, C, Kos F, Uncu D, Karakaş E, Dogan M, et al. Association between blood urea nitrogen/albumin ratio and prognosis in non-small cell lung cancer. Acta Medica Mediterranea. 2015; 31:219-223.
18. Gundpatil DB, Somani BL, Saha TK, Banerjee M. Serum urea:albumin ratio as a prognostic marker in critical patients with non-chronic kidney disease. Indian journal of clinical biochemistry: IJCB, 2014;29(1):97–100. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12291-012-0274-z
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- Just Accepted/6556 Downloaded: 0 times