Isolation of Cancer Stem Cells and Astrocytes from Human Glioblastoma: Morphological Characterization of Two Cells Types
International Clinical Neuroscience Journal,
Vol. 8 No. 1 (2021),
30 December 2020
Background: Glioblastoma multiforme is the most aggressive astrocytoma in adults. Glioblastoma is a heterogenous tumor formed from various cells including astrocyte and cancer stem cells. Here, we explain the isolation, culture, morphology and specific markers of human glioblastoma astrocyte and stem cells.
Methods: We isolated astrocyte and cancer stem cells from human glioblastoma tissue. The obtained glioblastoma tissues were digested and cultured in DMEM12, B27 supplemented with basic fibroblast growth factor and epidermal growth factor . The morphology and specific markers were assessed in astrocyte and cancer stem cell of human glioblastoma through immunochemistry.
Results: Results indicated that there were two morphology types in cell culture including epithelioid morphology and fibroblastic morphology. The astrocyte confirmed via expression of the GFAP protein. Cancer stem cells were round and floating in the culture medium. Immunocytochemical staining indicated that nestin and SOX2 antigens were positively expressed in primary neurospheres.
Conclusion: The expression of glial and stem cell markers show that both cells are in the human glioblastoma.
- Gliblastoma multiforme
- Cancer stem cell
How to Cite
2. Stupp R, Mason WP, van den Bent MJ, Weller M, Fisher B, Taphoorn MJ, Belanger K, Brandes AA, Marosi C, Bogdahn U, et al. Radiotherapy plus concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide for glioblastoma. N Eng J Med. 2005;352:987-96. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa043330.
3. DeAngelis LM. Brain tumors. N Eng J Med. 2001;344:114-23. DOI: 10.1056/ NEJM 200 10 11 13 440207.
4. Holland EC. Gliomagenesis: genetic alterations and mouse models. Nat Rev Genet. 2001;2:120-29.
5. Gage FH. Mammalian neural stem cells. Science. 2000;287(5457):1433-38. DOI: 10.1126/ science .287.5457.1433.
6. Lacar B, Young SZ, Platel JC and Bordey A. Imaging and recording subventricular zone progenitor cells in live tissue of postnatal mice. Front. Neurosci. 2010;4:1-16. doi.org/10.3389/fnins.2010.00043.
7. Kurt Jellinger. Adult Neurogenesis: Stem cells and neuronal development in the adult brain. Euro J Neurol. 2007;14(3):1-10. DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-1331.2007.01730.x.
8. Aboody KS, Brown A, Rainov NG, Bower KA, Liu S, Yang W, Small JE, Herrlinger U, Ourednik V, Black PM. et al. Neural stem cells display extensive tropism for pathology in adult brain: evidence from intracranial gliomas. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2000;97(23):12846-851. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.97.23.12846.
9. Kato H, Takahashi A, Itoyama Y. Cell cycle protein expression in proliferating microglia and astrocytes following transient global cerebral ischemia in the rat. Brain Res Bull. 2003;60(3):215-21. doi:10.1016/S0361-9230(03)00036-4.
10. Vescovi AL, Galli R, Reynolds BA. Brain tumour stem cells. Nat Rev Cancer. 2006; 6(6):425-36. DOI: 10.1038/nrc1889
11. Zhou BB, Zhang H, Damelin M, Geles KG, Grindley JC, Dirks PB. Tumour-initiating cells: challenges and opportunities for anticancer drug discovery. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2009;8(10):806-23. DOI: 10.1038/nrd2137.
12. Hoffman RM. The potential of nestin-expressing hair follicle stem cells in regenerative medicine. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2007;7(3):289–91. DOI: 10.1517/147125126.96.36.1999
13. Hwang HS, Cho NH, Maeng YS, Kang MH, Park YW, Kim YH. Differential expression of nestin in normal and pre-eclamptic human placentas. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2007;86(8):909–14. DOI: 10.1080/00016340701417018.
14. Ghods AJ, Irvin D, Liu G, Yuan X, Abdulkadir IR, Tunici P, Konda B, Wachsmann-Hogiu S, Black KL, Yu JS. Spheres isolated from 9L gliosarcoma rat cell line possess chemoresistant and aggressive cancer stem-like cells. Stem Cells. 2007;25(7):1645–53. DOI: 10.1634/stemcells.2006-0624.
15. Galli,R., Binda,E., Orfanelli,U., Cipelletti,B., Gritti,A., De Vitis,S., Fiocco,R., Foroni,C., Dimeco,F., and Vescovi,A. Isolation and characterization of tumorigenic, stem-like neural precursors from human glioblastoma. Cancer Res. 2004;64:7011-21. DOI: 10.1158/0008-5472.
16. Jin F, Zhao L, Zhao HY, Guo SG, Feng J, Jiang XB, Zhang SL, Wei YJ, Fu R, Zhao JS. Paradoxical expression of anti-apoptotic and MRP genes on cancer stem-like cell isolated from TJ905 glioblastoma multiforme cell line. Cancer Investigation.2008; 26(4):338-43. Doi: 10.1080 /073579 007 017 88 064.
17. Passegue E, Ailles LE, Weissman IL. Normal and leukemic hematopoiesis: are leukemias a stem cell disorder or a reacquisition of stem cell characteristics? Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2003 ;100:11842–9. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.2034201100
- Abstract Viewed: 227 times
- PDF Downloaded: 232 times