Microbiological Efficacy of Photodynamic Therapy as an Adjunct to Non-surgical Periodontal Treatment: A Clinical Trial
Journal of Lasers in Medical Sciences,
Vol. 7 No. 2 (2016),
15 March 2016
Introduction: The efficiency of routine scaling and root planning is negatively influenced by the tooth anatomy and residual bacteria all possibly affecting the treatment outcomes in future. The present study compared the microbiologic effectiveness of the photodynamic therapy (PDT) as an adjunctive treatment modality for nonsurgical treatment in chronic periodontitis.
Methods: In this randomized controlled clinical trial, 18 chronic periodontitis patients were selected. Four quadrants were randomly treated by scaling and root planning (SRP), diode laser (810n m wavelength, 1.5 W and 320 μm fiber, contact and sweeping technique), SRP + PDT (with diode laser 808 nm, 0.5 W) and laser + SRP (with diode laser 808 nm, 1 W) in each patient. Presence of periodontal pathogen species in the treated areas were measured before the treatment, at 1 and 3 months afterwards. The identification and reproduction of the specific genes of pathogen bacteria were done by means of polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technique. Presence of oral pathogen bacteria in the treatment groups were analyzed by chi-square test. A semi quantitative analysis was used to measure the intensity of white light in each band. This was calculated by number of pixels in each band.
Results: In the qualitative analysis, Fusobacterium nucleatum (Fn) and Treponema denticola (Td) species were killed after 1 month in all treatment modalities. PDT had more effects to decrease Prevotella intermedia (Pi) species than SRP while Tannerella forsythensis count (Tf) species increased in all treatments. Furthermore, Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans (Aa) species decreased in all treatments and Porphyromonas gingivalis (P.g) species increased in all treatments after 1 and 3 months.
Conclusion: It can be concluded that PDT was more effective as an adjunctive treatment to SRP than SRP alone; however, no distinct differences were found between both treatment modalities regarding reduction of certain pathogen bacteria.
- Photodynamic therapy
How to Cite
Armitage GC. Development of a classification system for periodontal diseases and conditions. Ann Periodontol. 1999;4:1-6. doi:10.1902/annals.19126.96.36.199.
O’Leary TJ. The impact of research on scaling and root planing. J Periodontol. 1986;57:69-75. doi: 10.1902/ jop.19188.8.131.52.
Cugini MA, Haffajee AD, Smith C, Kent RL Jr, Socransky SS. The effect of scaling and root planing on the clinical and microbiological parameters of periodontal diseases: 12-month results. J Clin Periodontol. 2000;27(1):30-36. doi:10.1034/j.1600-051x.2000.027001030.x.
Caruso U, Nastri L, Piccolomini R, d’Ercole S, Mazza C, Guida L. Use of diode laser 980 nm as adjunctive therapy in the treatment of chronic periodontitis. A randomized controlled clinical trial. New Microbiologica. 2008;31:513- 518.
Harris DM, Yessik M. Therapeutic ratio quantifies laser antisepsis: ablation of Porphyromonas gingivalis with dental lasers. Lasers Surg Med. 2004;35(3):206-213. doi:10.1002/lsm.20086.
Karlsson MR, Diogo Lofgren CI, Jansson HM. The effect of laser therapy as an adjunct to non-surgicalperiodontal treatment in subjects with chronic periodontitis: a systematic review. J Periodontol. 2008;79(11):2021-2028. doi:10.1902/jop.2008.080197
Chan Y, Lai CH. Bactericidal effects of different laser wavelengths on periodonto-pathic germs in photodynamic therapy. Lasers Med Sci 2003;18(1):51-55.
O’Neill JF, Hope CK, Wilson M. Oral bacteria inmulti-species biofilms can be killed by red light inthe presence of toluidine blue. Lasers Surg Med. 2002;31(2):86-90. doi:10.1002/lsm.10087.
Raab O. The effect of fluorescent agents oninfusoria (in German). Z Biol. 1900;39:524-526.
Raghavendra M, Koregol A, Bhola S. Photodynamic therapy: a targeted therapy in periodontics. Aust Dent J. 2009;54(1):102-109. doi:10.1111/j.1834- 7819.2009.01148.x.
Hope C, Wilson M. Induction of lethal photosensitization in biofilms using a confocal scanning laser as the excitation source. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2006;57(6):1227-1230. doi:10.1093/jac/dkl096.
Garcez A, Ribeiro M, Tegos G, Nunez S, Jorge A, Hamblin M. Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy combined with conventional endodontic treatment to eliminate root canal biofilm infection. Lasers Surg Med. 2007;39(1):59-66. doi:10.1002/lsm.20415.
Braun A, Dehn C, Krause F, Jepsen S. Short-term clinical effects of adjunctive antimicrobial photodynamic therapy in periodontal treatment: a randomized clinical trial. J Clin Periodontol. 2008;35(10):877-884. doi:10.1111/j.1600- 051x.2008.01303.x.
Andersen R, Loebel N, Hammond D, Wilson M. Treatment of periodontal disease by photo-disinfection compared to scaling and root planning. J Clin Dent. 2007;18(2):34-38.
15. Christodoulides N, Nikolidakis D, Chondros P, et al. Photodynamic therapy as an adjunct to non-surgical periodontal treatment: a randomized, controlled clinical trial. J Periodontol. 2008;79(9):1638-1644. doi:10.1902/ jop.2008.070652.
16. Yilmaz S, Kuru B, Kuru L, Noyan U, Argun D, Kadir T. Effect of gallium arsenide diode laser on human periodontal disease: a microbiological and clinical study. Lasers Surg Med. 2002;30(1):60-66. doi:10.1002/lsm.10010.
17. de Oliveira RR, Schwartz-Filho HO, Novaes AB. Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy in the non-surgical treatment of aggressive periodontitis: cytokine profile in gingival crevicular fluid, preliminary results. J Periodontol. 2009;80:98-105. doi:10.1902/jop.2009.070465.
18. Polansky R, Haas M, Heschl A, Wimmer G. Clinical effectiveness of photodynamic therapy in the treatment of periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 2009;36(7):575-580. doi:10.1111/j.1600-051x.2009.01412.x.
19. Alwaeli HA, Al-Khateeb SN, Al-Sadi A. Long-term clinical effect of adjunctive antimicrobial photodynamic therapy in periodontal treatment: a randomized clinical trial. Lasers Med Sci. 2015;30(2):801-807. doi:10.1007/s10103-013- 1426-y.
20. Berakdar M, Callaway A, Fakhr Eddin M, Rob A, Willershausen B. Comparison between scaling-root planing (srp) and srp/photodynamic therapy: six-months study. Head Face Med. 2012;8:12. doi:10.1186/1746- 160x-8-12.
21. De Micheli G, de Andrade AK, Euzebio Alves VT, Seto M, Pannuti CM, Cai S. Efficacy of high intensity diode laser as an adjunct to non-surgical periodontal treatment: a randomized controlled trial. Lasers Med Sci. 2011;26:43-48. doi:10.1007/s10103-009-0753-5.
22. Lulic M, Leiggener Görög I, Salvi GE, Ramseier CA, Mattheos N, Lang NP. One-year outcomes of repeated adjunctive photodynamic therapy during periodontal maintenance: a proof of principle randomized-controlled clinical trial. J Clin Periodontol. 2009;36(8):661-666.
23. Dukić W, Bago I, Aurer A, Roguljić M. Clinical effectiveness of diode laser therapy as an adjunct to non-surgical periodontal treatment: a randomized clinical study. J Periodontol. 2013;84(8):1111-1117.
24. Shiloah J, Patters MR. DNA probe analyses of the survival of selected periodontal pathogens following scaling, root planing, and intra-pocket irrigation. J Periodontol. 1994;65(6):568-575. doi:10.1902/jop.19184.108.40.2068.
25. Darby IB, Hodge PJ, Riggio MP, Kinane DF. Clinical and microbiological effect of scaling and root planing in smoker and non-smoker chronic and aggressive periodontitis patients. J Clin Periodontol. 2005;32(2):200- 206. doi:10.1111/j.1600-051x.2005.00644.x.
26. Haffajee AD, Teles RP, Socransky SS. The effect of periodontal therapy on the composition of the subgingival microbiota. Periodontology 2000. 2006;42(1):219-258. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0757.2006.00191.x.
27. Renvert S, Wikstrom M, Dahlen G, Slots J, Egelberg J. On the inability of root debridement and periodontal surgery to eliminate Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans from periodontal pockets. J Clin Periodontol. 1990;17(6):351- 355. doi:10.1111/j.1600-051x.1990.tb00030.x.
28. Mombelli A, Schmid B, Rutar A, Lang NP. Persistence patterns of Porphyromonas gingivalis, Prevotella intermedia/nigrescens, and Actinobacillus actinomyetemcomitans after mechanical therapy of periodontal disease. J Periodontol. 2000;71(1):14-21. doi:10.1111/j.1600-051x.1990.tb00030.x.
29. Theodoro LH, Silva SP, Pires JR, et al. Clinical and microbiological effects of photodynamic therapy associated with nonsurgical periodontal treatment: a 6-month follow-up. Lasers Med Sci. 2012;27(4):687-693. doi:10.1007/ s10103-011-0942-x.
30. Aimetti M, Romano F, Torta I, Caposio P, Romagnoli R. Debridement and local application of tetracycline-loaded fibres in the management of persistent periodontitis: results after 12 months. J Clin Periodontol. 2004;31(3):166- 172. doi:10.1111/j.0303-6979.2004.00457.x.
- Abstract Viewed: 836 times
- PDF Downloaded: 385 times