The effect of photobiomodulation therapy on the stability of orthodontic mini-implants in human and animal studies: A systematic review and meta-analysis
Journal of Lasers in Medical Sciences,
Vol. 13 (2022),
Purpose: The present study aimed is to systematically explore available literature on the possible impact of PBM therapy on stability and success of orthodontic mini-implants.
Methods:.A comprehensive electronic search was conducted in PubMed, ISI Web of Science, Scopus, Cochrane and Embase databases for human and animal studies published till July 2021.Two independent researchers reviewed the studies based on specific eligibility criteria.
Results: After a comprehensive search removing unrelated items, 15 studies were included in the systematic review. In the meta-analysis, 10 studies were included. 4 human RCT studies that evaluate the stability with Preriotest, 3 human RCT studies and 2 animal studies that evaluate the stability with implant stability quotient (ISQ) and 2 human RCT studies that examined the displacement of mini-implants. The analysis results of Periotest stability results showed a positive effect of PBM on mini-implant stability 30 and 60 days after implantation (P<0.05). In human studies using the ISQ method, an improvement was seen in PBMT group, however, this was not statistically significant. (CI=-1.92-2.70, SMD=0.39). In the studies that examined the displacement of mini-implants, no statistically significant difference was observed (CI= -1.92-2.70, SMD= 0.03). In the animal studies, which had used the ISQ method, the use of laser was effective in increasing the stability of micro-implants (SMD= 1.43, CI=1.00 - 1.85). Although positive effects were observed with PBM, however, further studies are still needed for establishing evidence-based dosing and irradiation protocols.
Conclusion: Photobiomodulation therapy can be suggested as an adjunctive clinical method to improve stability of mini-implant treatment.
Keywords: mini-implant, stability, photobiomodulation
- mini-implant, stability, photobiomodulation
How to Cite
2. Kim SS, Kim SH. Advantages of Miniscrew Usage for Pre‐and Post‐operative Orthodontics in Skeletal Class III Malocclusion Patients. Temporary Anchorage Devices in Clinical Orthodontics. 2020:697-707.
3. Flieger R, Gedrange T, Grzech-Leśniak K, Dominiak M, Matys J. Low-level laser therapy with a 635 nm diode laser affects orthodontic mini-implants stability: A randomized clinical split-mouth trial. Journal of clinical medicine. 2020;9(1):112.
4. Mattos CT, Ruellas ACdO, Elias CN. Is it possible to re-use mini-implants for orthodontic anchorage? Results of an in vitro study. Materials Research. 2010;13(4):521-5.
5. Colonna A, Drudi M, Spedicato GA, Mollica F, Mazzanti V, Paoletto E, et al. Assessment of stiffness and load deflection of orthodontic miniscrews used for palatal anchorage: An in vitro biomechanical study. International orthodontics. 2020;18(4):809-19.
6. Casaña-Ruiz MD, Bellot-Arcís C, Paredes-Gallardo V, García-Sanz V, Almerich-Silla JM, Montiel-Company JM. Risk factors for orthodontic mini-implants in skeletal anchorage biological stability: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Scientific reports. 2020;10(1):1-10.
7. Gholami L, Asefi S, Hooshyarfard A, Sculean A, Romanos GE, Aoki A, et al. Photobiomodulation in Periodontology and implant dentistry: Part 2. Photobiomodulation, photomedicine, and laser surgery. 2019;37(12):766-83.
8. Lopes CB, Pinheiro AL, Sathaiah S, Silva NSD, Salgado MA. Infrared laser photobiomodulation (λ 830 nm) on bone tissue around dental implants: a Raman spectroscopy and scanning electronic microscopy study in rabbits. Photomedicine and laser surgery. 2007;25(2):96-101.
9. Reza Fekrazad SA, Mahdi Allahdadi, and Katayoun A.M. Kalhori. Effect of Photobiomodulation on Mesenchymal Stem Cells. 2016.
10. John P. Heggers HE, Robert Garfield, Rick Goodheart, Dmitry Listengarten, Jiangang Zhao, and Linda G. Phillips. Effect of the Combination of Aloe vera, Nitroglycerin, and L-NAME on Wound Healing in the Rat Excisional Model. Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2007.
11. Arany ETaP. Photobiomodulation and implants: implications for dentistry. Periodontal and Implant Science 2013.
12. Sara Mahmoud Zayed 1 AAAH. Clinical Efficacy of Photobiomodulation on Dental Implant Osseointegration: A Systematic Review. 2020.
13. Hooijmans CR, Rovers MM, de Vries RBM, Leenaars M, Ritskes-Hoitinga M, Langendam MW. SYRCLE’s risk of bias tool for animal studies. BMC Medical Research Methodology. 2014;14(1):43.
14. Uysal T, Ekizer A, Akçay H, EuQz O, Guray E. Resonance frequency analysis of orthodontic miniscrews subjected to light-emitting diode photobiomodulation therapy. European journal of orthodontics. 2012;34 1:44-51.
15. Abohabib AM, Fayed MM, Labib AH. Effects of low-intensity laser therapy on the stability of orthodontic mini-implants: a randomised controlled clinical trial. Journal of orthodontics. 2018;45(3):149-56.
16. Marañón-Vásquez GA, Lagravère MO, Borsatto MC, de Souza SS, Watanabe PC, Matsumoto MA, et al. Effect of photobiomodulation on the stability and displacement of orthodontic mini-implants submitted to immediate and delayed loading: a clinical study. Lasers in medical science. 2019;34(8):1705-15.
17. Ekizer A, Türker G, Uysal T, Güray E, Taşdemir Z. Light emitting diode mediated photobiomodulation therapy improves orthodontic tooth movement and miniscrew stability: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Lasers in surgery and Medicine. 2016;48(10):936-43.
18. Matys J, Świder K, Grzech-Leśniak K, Dominiak M, Romeo U. Photobiomodulation by a 635nm diode laser on peri-implant bone: primary and secondary stability and bone density analysis—a randomized clinical trial. BioMed research international. 2019;2019.
19. Osman A. Effect of Low Level Laser on Miniscrew Displacement during Canine Retraction.(A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial). EC Dental Science. 2019;18:194-202.
20. Matys J, Flieger R, Świder K, Gedrange T, Hutchings G, Dyszkiewicz-Konwińska M, et al. A Clinical Trial of Photobiomodulation Effect on Orthodontic Microscrews Stability Using a 635 nm Red Laser Light. Photobiomodulation, photomedicine, and laser surgery. 2020;38(10):607-13.
21. Yücesoy T, Seker ED, Cenkcı E, Yay A, Alkan A. Histologic and Biomechanical Evaluation of Osseointegrated Miniscrew Implants Treated with Ozone Therapy and Photobiomodulation at Different Loading Times. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2019;34(6):1337-45.
22. Osman A, Moneim AA, El Harouni N, Shokry M. Long-term evaluation of the effect of low-level laser therapy on orthodontic miniscrew stability and peri-implant gingival condition: A randomized clinical trial. Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontists. 2017;6(3):109-14.
23. Garcez AS, Suzuki SS, Martinez EF, Iemini MG, Suzuki H. Effects of low-intensity laser therapy over mini-implants success rate in pigs. Lasers in medical science. 2015;30(2):727-32.
24. Yanaguizawa MS, Suzuki SS, Martinez EF, Suzuki H, Pelegrin MCJ, Garcez AS. Effects of low-level laser therapy in orthodontic patients on immediate inflammatory response after mini-implants insertion: a preliminary report. Photomedicine and laser surgery. 2017;35(1):57-63.
25. Moon CH, Park, H. K., Nam, J. S., Im, J. S. & Baek, S. H. . Relationship between vertical skeletal pattern and success rate of orthodontic mini-implants. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Ortho. 2010;138:51–7.
26. Papageorgiou SN, Zogakis IP, Papadopoulos MA. Failure rates and associated risk factors of orthodontic miniscrew implants: a meta-analysis. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2012;142(5):577-95. e7.
27. Zein R, Selting W, Hamblin MR. Review of light parameters and photobiomodulation efficacy: dive into complexity. Journal of biomedical optics. 2018;23(12):120901.
28. Chung H, Dai T, Sharma SK, Huang Y-Y, Carroll JD, Hamblin MR. The nuts and bolts of low-level laser (light) therapy. Annals of biomedical engineering. 2012;40(2):516-33.
29. Omasa S, Motoyoshi M, Arai Y, Ejima K-I, Shimizu N. Low-level laser therapy enhances the stability of orthodontic mini-implants via bone formation related to BMP-2 expression in a rat model. Photomedicine and laser surgery. 2012;30(5):255-61.
30. Goymen M, Isman E, Taner L, Kurkcu M. Histomorphometric evaluation of the effects of various diode lasers and force levels on orthodontic mini screw stability. Photomedicine and laser surgery. 2015;33(1):29-34.
31. Uysal T, Ekizer A, Akcay H, Etoz O, Guray E. Resonance frequency analysis of orthodontic miniscrews subjected to light-emitting diode photobiomodulation therapy. The European Journal of Orthodontics. 2012;34(1):44-51.
- Abstract Viewed: 177 times
- PDF Downloaded: 190 times