DIAGNOSTIC AND PREDICTIVE VALUES OF PHOTO ALBUMS AND VIDEOCLIPS IN PEDIATRIC NEUROLOGY CLINICS
Iranian Journal of Child Neurology,
Vol. 1 No. 2 (2006),
Photo-albums and video-clips are simple means for diagnosis of diverseneurologic disorders in children. Most families either own or can borrow a still or video camera. Even when a purchase is required, it is more costeffective than brain imaging as well as other sophisticated studies, and the family has something useful to show for expenditure. On the other hand many families have a photo-album which could be very informative for pediatric neurologists. These useful and simple means are invaluable in:
- Differentiation of progressive from static diseases of central nervous system in children.
- Helping in diagnosis of diverse types of seizures in pediatric epileptic patients.
- Differential diagnosis of epilepsy like disorders (e.g. sleep disorders) vs. epilepsy in children.
- Diagnosis as well as differential diagnosis of movement disorders in children.
- Therapeutic follow-up in many disorders (i.e. epilepsy, movement and sleep disorders) in children.
In my review article, I have indicated the importance of photo-albums and video-clips as invaluable means of diagnosis and prediction in child neurology by giving simple examples in this regard.