The relationship between spiritual intelligence, optimism and happiness in university students
International Journal of Applied Behavioral Sciences,
Vol. 3 No. 3 (2016),
26 November 2017
Introduction :The Spiritual intelligence represents a different set of skills and abilities, each of which forms appear different in social and historical contexts. And it maybe used to promote optimism and happiness.The present study was designed to investigate the relationship between spiritual intelligence, optimism and happiness on Iranian university students. Methods: One hundred and fifty students (89 men and 61 women) were selected using cluster sampling and were asked to complete Scheirer and Carver's Life Orientation Test-Revised (LOTR), King's Spiritual Intelligence Self-Report Scale (SISRI) and Argyle, Martin, and Crossland's Oxford Happiness Inventory (OHI). Data were analyzed using t-tests and Pearson correlation coefficients and regression analysis. Results: Results of the current study provide additional evidence that based on spiritual intelligence can predict happiness and optimism. There was a significant relationship found between total spiritual intelligence scores and optimism (r =0.219 p > 0.05). Also, Stepwise regression showed that when happiness and spiritual intelligence were entered in the equation, coefficient of determination (R2) was 0.26. This means that happiness alone explains 26% of the total variance for spiritual intelligence. Conclusion: Results of the current study provide additional evidence for the role of spiritual intelligence between students. In the other words, the findings of the present study supports the role of spiritual intelligence in anticipation of optimism and happiness in students. On the other hand, by holding workshops to increase students' spiritual intelligence, can promote two behavioral features of happiness and optimism in them as well. Declaration of Interest: None
- Key words
- spiritual intelligence
How to Cite
- Courtenay WH. Constructions of masculinity and their influence on men's well-being: a theory of gender and health. Social science & medicine. 2000 May 16;50(10):1385-401. 2- Nasel D. Spiritual Orientation in Relation to Spiritual Intelligence a Consideration of Traditional Christianity and New Ageindividualistic Spirituality(Doctoral dissertation). 3-Noble Noble KD. Spiritual intelligence: A new frame of mind. Advanced Development. 2000;9:1-29. 4-Amram Y. The Seven Dimensions of Spiritual Intelligence: An Ecumenical Grounded Theory. Paper presented at the 115th Annual Conference of the American Journal of Human Resources Management Research 8 Psychological Association, San Francisco, CA. August.2007, 17-20. 5- Gardner H. Frames of mind: The theory of multiple intelligences. Basic books; 2011 Mar 29. 6- King DB, DeCicco TL. A viable model and selfreport measure of spiritual intelligence. International journal of transpersonal studies. 2009 Jun 1;28(1). 7- Chin ST, Anantharaman RN, Tong DY. The roles of emotional intelligence and spiritual intelligence at the workplace. Journal of Human Resources Management Research. 2011 Jan 1;2011:b1-9.. 8- Segerstrom SC. Optimism, goal conflict, and stressor-related immune change. Journal of behavioral medicine. 2001 Oct 1;24(5):44167.. 9- Moyer CA, Elsayed Y, Zhu Y, Wei Y, Engmann CM, Yang H. Is generalized maternal optimism or pessimism during pregnancy associated with unplanned cesarean section deliveries in China?. Journal of pregnancy. 2011 Jan 5;2010. 10-Carter CH. Raising Happiness. University of California Press, Berkely, USA,2008. 11- Lanier Pence P, Phillips Carson P, Carson KD, Hamilton III JB, Birkenmeier B. And all who jumped died: the Triangle Shirtwaist factory
fire. Management Decision. 2003 May 1;41(4):407-21. 12- Barnes D. A comparative analysis of emotional intelligence and job performance among case managers working in community-based mental health settings (Doctoral dissertation, University of Cincinnati). 13- Vaughan F. What is spiritual intelligence?. Journal of humanistic psychology. 2002 Apr;42(2):16-33. 14- Monk-Turner E, Turner C. Does yoga shape body, mind and spiritual health and happiness: Differences between yoga practitioners and college students. International journal of yoga. 2010 Jul 1;3(2):48. 15-Jones M. Psychology of happiness and unhappiness: A case study of the mindset and behavior of happy and unhappy personalities.2012, International Institute of Management Executive Electronic Journal (available at http://www.iimedu.org/psychologyofhappiness/index.htm). 16- Carr A. Positive psychology: The science of happiness and human strengths. Routledge; 2011. 17- Allport GW. The nature of personality: selected papers. Greenwood Press; 1950. 18-Asgari P, Roshani K, Adryani M.M. Relationship between religious believes and optimism with spiritual well-being. (Persian text) Journal of New Discoveries in Psychology.2010, 5, 27 - 39. 19- Seligman ME. Learned optimism: How to change your mind and your life. Vintage; 2011 Aug 10. 20- Morgenstern LB, Sánchez BN, Skolarus LE, Garcia N, Risser JM, Wing JJ, Smith MA, Zahuranec DB, Lisabeth LD. Fatalism, optimism, spirituality, depressive symptoms, and stroke outcome. Stroke. 2011 Dec 1;42(12):3518-23. 21- Bekhet AK, Zauszniewski JA, Nakhla WE. Happiness: theoretical and empirical considerations. InNursing Forum 2008 Jan 1 (Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 12-23). Blackwell Publishing Inc .22-Wolman, R. (2001). Thinking With Your Soul: Spiritual Intelligence and Why it Matters. Harmony Publications, NY, USA. 23- Scheier MF, Carver CS, Bridges MW. Distinguishing optimism from neuroticism (and trait anxiety, self-mastery, and selfesteem): a reevaluation of the Life Orientation Test. Journal of personality and social psychology. 1994 Dec;67(6):1063.
- Argyle M, Martin M, Crossland J. Happiness as a function of personality and social encounters. Recent advances in social psychology: An international perspective. 1989:189-203. 25-Bagheri F, Akbarizadeh F, Hatami H. The relationship between nurses' spiritual intelligence and happiness and demographic variables. Journal of South Medicine.2010, 4, 256-263. 26- Mookerjee R, Beron K. Gender, religion and happiness. The Journal of Socio-Economics. 2005 Oct 31;34(5):674-85. 27- Shaw I. Society and mental health: the place of religion. Mental Health Review Journal. 2008 Mar 1;13(1):4-7. 28- Abdel-Khalek AM. Happiness, health, and religiosity: Significant relations. Mental Health, Religion & Culture. 2006 Mar 1;9(1):85-97. 29- Babanazary L, Askari P. Relationship between intelligence, spirituality and happiness in medical students. Paper presented at the Sixth National Seminar on Students' Mental Health, Guilan University, Iran,2012. 30-Yaghobi A.Relation between spiritual intelligence and happiness in students. Research in Education Systems.2011, 8, 92105. 31- Kramer U. Coping and defence mechanisms: What's the difference?–Second act. Psychology and psychotherapy: theory, research and practice. 2010 Jun 1;83(2):20721. 32- Seligman ME, Csikszentmihalyi M. Positive psychology: An introduction. Springer Netherlands; 2014. 33-Frish M.B.Quality of Life Therapy.John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, USA,2006. 34- Lyubomirsky S, Sheldon KM, Schkade D. Pursuing happiness: The architecture of sustainable change. Review of general psychology. 2005 Jun;9(2):111. 35- Qodsi R. Extreme Happiness: happy-oriented management, knowledge management, and achieving success. Hashemi Soodmand, first print, Tabriz. 2009. 36-Shahrori M. The Relationship between happiness and academic achievement from Hae'l University students: Perspective in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, European Journal of Social Sciences.2012, 6, 59-68. 37-Aghababaee, N., et al. Check sensing characteristics in a short questionnaire spiritual intelligence, Journal of Psychological Science.2010.9,(34), 180-169.
The relationship between spiritual intelligence, optimism…
- International Journal of Applied Behavioral Sciences (IJABS) volume 3 number 3 Summer 2016. Journals. smbu.ac.ir/ijabs
-Alipour, A., Nurbala, A.A. A preliminary study of the reliability and validity of happiness Oxford university students in Tehran.2000, Journal of Thought and Behavior,5,(1,2),6455.
- Abstract Viewed: 1057 times
- PDF Downloaded: 879 times