Tobacco use preventional interventions among Iranian adolescents: A review study
16 February 2019
Background and Aims: Considering the increasing trend of tobacco usage among adolescents, effective interventions are necessary for smoking prevention in this group. We, therefore, decided to investigate the status of preventive interventions on tobacco usage among Iranian adolescents, especially the theory/model-based interventions.
Meanwhile, the authors surveyed among other related studies, and categorized them in terms of effect/no effect.
Materials and Methods: A literature review was performed. We selected studies to include in our analyses via a search of Scientific Information Database-SID and google scholar (as a supporter motor researcher) on November of 2017, using the keywords “Tobacco, Smoking, Hookahs” in the title and abstract of all published articles. After removing repetitive and unrelated cases, the full text of a series of articles on the prevention of tobacco in adolescents
was reviewed and the results were presented in terms of the phrases and tables.
Results: Out of 1078 extracted articles, 14 papers were finally evaluated. The interventions were divided into two
main categories. Totally, in 9 studies, health education models and theories were the basis for intervention, and other
approaches had been used in the remaining five studies.
Conclusion: In spite of the influence of both types of interventions, model/theoretic interventions have been used
more than other interventions in smoking prevention, which could be due to the more favorable and clearer effects of these interventions in changing the various behaviors of the health sector.
Keywords: tobacco, preventional intervention, adolescent, review study
- WHO. Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2010. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- A WHO/The union monograph on TB and tobacco control.[Availableat: whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789240686458_eng.pdf 2015].
- Jiménez-Ruiz CA, Andreas S, Lewis KE, Tonnesen P, van Schayck CP, Hajek P, et al. Statement on smoking cessation in COPD and other pulmonary diseases and in smokers with comorbidities who find it difficult to quit. European Respiratory Journal 2015; 46(1):61-79.
- Denkinger CM, Grenier J, Stratis AK, Akkihal A, Pant-Pai N, Pai M.Mobile health to improve tuberculosis care and control: A call worthmaking. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease2013; 17:719–27.
- Rahimzadeh M, Rastegar H, Fazel Kalkhoran J. Prevalence and Causes of tendency to cigarette and water pipe smoking among male and female physical education students in University of Kurdistan. Journal of Health 2016; 7(5):680-86 (InPersian).
- Moradi G, Delavari A, Mehrabi S, Pooladi A, Bahram Rezaie M. Epidemiologic study of smoking among population of 15 to 64 years old in Kurdistan province. Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences2007; 12(45):40-50 (InPersian).
- PanahiR, Ramezankhani A, Haerimehrizi AA, Tavousi M, Khalilipour Darestani M,Niknami SH. Which dimensions of health literacy predict the adoption of smoking preventive behaviors? Journal of Health in the Field 2018; 5(4):8-17 (InPersian).
- Khalilzad Behrozian S, Ahmadi E. The assesment of self-efficacyand thedimensions of quality of life on smokers and nonsmokers. The Journal of Urmia University Medical Sciences 2013; 24(4):257-62 (InPersian).
- Rezaei S, Akbari Sari A, Arab M, Majdzadeh R, Mohammadpoorasl A. Estimating economic burden of cancer deaths attributable to smoking in Iran. Journal of Research in Health Sciences 2015; 15(4):228-33 (InPersian).
- Moosazadeh M, Ziaaddini H, Mirzazadeh A, Ashrafi-Asgarabad A, Haghdoost AA. Meta-analysis of smoking prevalence in Iran. Addiction and Health2013; 5:140-53 (InPersian).
- Ebadi M, Vahdaninia MS, Azin SA, Aeinparast A, Omidvari S, Jahangiri K, et al. Prevalence of smoking: A study of health from the viewpoint of the Iranian people. Payesh 2011; 10(3):365-72 (InPersian).
- Ebrahimi H, Sahebihagh MH, Ghofranipour F, Tabrizi JS. Initiation and continuation of smoking in Iran: A qualitative content analysis. International Journal of Community Based Nursing and Midwifery2014; 2(4):220-30 (InPersian).
- Pirdehghan A, Aghakoochak A, Vakili M, Poorrezaee M. Determination of predicting factors of Hookah smoking among pre-university students in Yazd in 2015. PajouhanScientific Journal2016; 15(1):28-36 (InPersian).
- Panahi R, Ramezankhani A, Tavousi M, Koosehloo A, Niknami SH. Relationship of health literacy with knowledge and attitude toward the harms of cigarette smoking among University Students. Journal of Education andCommunityHealth2017; 3(4):38-44 (InPersian).
- Madani A, Aghamolaei T, Madani M, Zarei F. Prevalence of smoking and associated internal and external factors in high school students in Bandar Abbas, Iran. Journal of Preventive Medicine2016; 2(4):39-49 (InPersian).
- Moeini B, Allahverdipour H. Cigarette use and its predicting factors among male high school students. Journal of Urmia Nursing and Midwifery Faculty 2010; 8(4):238-45 (InPersian).
- Hazavei SMM, Abasi H. The role of interventions in reduction of smoking in high school adolescents: A review study. Qom University of Medical Sciences Journal 2016; 10(9):89-103 (InPersian).
- Khazaee-Pool M, Zarei F, Pashaei T, Shojaeizadeh D. The effect of an educational intervention based on Health Belief Model on improving smoking preventive behaviors among high school male students in Nowshahr. Iranian Journal of Health Education and Health Promotion 2016; 4(4):300-308(InPersian).
- HeidarniaAR, Barati M, Niknami SH, Allahverdipour H, Bashirian S. Effect of a web-based educational program on prevention of tobacco smoking among male adolescents: An application of prototype willingness model. Journal of Education andCommunityHealth2016; 3(1):1-11 (InPersian).
- Solhi M, Abasi H, Hazavehei SMM, Roshanaei G. Effect of educational intervention on empowerment of high school student in prevention of smoking. Razi Journal of Medical Sciences2014; 21(118):52-63 (InPersian).
- Karimy M, Niknami SH, Heidarnia AR, Hajizadeh E. The effect of an educational program based on Kemp model on smoking refusal ability in the male adolescents. Daneshvar 2013; 20(106):55-62 (InPersian).
- Pakpour Hajiagha A, Mohamadi Zeidi I. The effect of education based on theory of planned behavior in reducing smoking intent in high school students. Journal of Research in Health Sciences 2013; 3(4):504-13 (InPersian).
- Karimy M, Niknami SH, Heidarnia AR, Hajizadeh E. The effect of an educational package on the attitude, self efficacy and tobacco use preventive behaviors of adolescents. Payesh 2013; 13(4):1-8 (InPersian).
- Rakhshani F, Esmaeili A, Charkazi A, Haftsavar M, Shahnazi H, Esmaeili AJ. The effect of education on smoking prevention in students of Zahedan. Health SystemResearch 2010; 6(2):267-75 (InPersian).
- Rahnavard Z, Mohammadi M, Rajabi F, Zolfaghari M. An educational intervention using health belief model on smoking preventive behavior among female teenagers. Hayat 2011; 17(3):15-26 (InPersian).
- Sharifi-rad GR, Hazavei SMM, Hasanzadeh A, Daneshamouz A. The effect of health education based on health belief model on preventive actions of smoking in grade one, middle school students. Arak Medical UniversityJournal 2007; 10(1):1-8 (InPersian).
- Jamali T, Maarefvand M, Hosseinzadeh S. The effectiveness of smoking prevention intervention with peer education approach on labor childrens toward smoking. Journal of Social Work 2015; 4(4):17-28 (InPersian).
- Gharlipour Z, Hazavehei SMM, Moeini B, Nazari M, Moghimbeygi A. Effectiveness of educational program on promotion of smoking preventive behaviors in adolescences. Health System Research 2013; 9(4):354-61 (InPersian).
- Panahali A, Shafiabadi A, Ghodsi A. The effectiveness of group reality therapy in attitude toward smoking among male students of high school. The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology2009; 4(16):63-84 (InPersian).
- Zareiyan Jahromi A, Maddah SSB, Ghofranipour FA. The effects of parental fighting program on smoking in adolescents in secondary school. Daneshvar 2006; 13(63):41-52 (InPersian).
- Delavar A, Rashid KH. The role of teaching assertiveness skills and problem solving in preventing and reducing smoking in Tehran's students. Psychological Studies 2003; 1(1):31-40 (InPersian).
- Allahverdipour H. The transition from traditional health education to the theory-based health education. Journal of Education and Health Promotion 2004; 1(3):75-79(InPersian).
- Fishbein M, Yzer MC. Using theory to design effective health behavior interventions. Communication Theory 2003; 13(2):164-83.
- Glanz K, Rimer BK, Lewis FM. Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice.3rd ed. San Francisco, Calif: Jossey-Bass, 2008.
- MokhtariLaleh N, Ghodsi H, Asiri SH, Kazemnejad E. Relationship between health belief model and smoking in male students of guilan university of medical sciences. Journal of Guilan University of Medical Sciences 2013; 22(85):33-41 (InPersian).
- Li K, Kay NS. Correlates of cigarette smoking among male Chinese college student in china: A preminary syudy. International Electronic Journal of Health Education 2009;12:59-71.
- Topa G, Moriano JA. Theory of planned behavior and smoking: Meta-analysis and SEM model. Substance Abuse and Rehabilitation 2010; 1:23-33.
- Barati M, AllahVerdipor H, Moini B, Farhadinasab A, Mahjob H. The effectiveness of teaching based on theory of planned behavior in preventingMDMA abuse in students. Medical Journalof Tabriz University of Medical Sciences 2011; 33(3):20-29 (InPersian).
- Bashirian S, Hidarnia AR, Allahverdipour H, Hajizadeh E. Application of the theory of planned behavior to predict drug abuse related behaviors among adolescents. Journal of Research in Health Sciences 2012; 12(1):54-60 (InPersian).
- Karimy M, Niknami SH, Heidarnia AR, Hajizadeh E. Preventing tobacco use among Iranian male adolescents: An application of the Theory of Planned Behavior. Payesh 2013; 12(4):423-31 (InPersian).
- Gerrard M, Gibbons FX, Houlihan AE, Stock ML, Pomery EA. A dual-process approach to health risk decision making: The proto-type willingnes model. Developmental Review 2008;28(1):29-61.
- Hukkelberg SS, Dykstra JL. Using the Prototype/Willingness model to predict smokingbehavioramongNorwegianadolescents. Addictive Behavior 2009;34(3):270-76.
- 43- Abedini S, MorowatiSharifabad M, Chaleshgar Kordasiabi M, Ghan-barnejad A.Predictors of non-hookah smoking among high-school students based onprototype/willingnessmodel.HealthPromotionPerspectives2014;4(1):46-53.
-Barati M, Allahverdipour H, Hidarnia AR, Niknami SH. Predicting tobacco smoking among male adolescents in Hamadan City, west of Iran in 2014:an application of the prototype willingness model. Journal of Research in Health Sciences 2015; 15(2): 113-18(InPersian).
- Saffari M, Shojaeizadeh D, Ghofranipour F, Heidarnia AR, Pakpour Hajiagha A. Health education & promotion: Theories, Models &Methods. Tehran: Asare Sobhan Publisher 2009 (InPersian).
-Adolfsson ET, Smide B, Gregeby E, Fernstrom L, Wikblad K. Implementing empowerment group education in diabetes. Patient EducationCounseling 2004; 53(3): 319-24.
- Funnell MM, Anderson RM. Empowerment and self-management of diabetes. Clinical Diabetes 2004; 22(3): 123-27.
- Fardanesh H. Theoretical Foundations of Instructional Technology. 8, Editor. Tehran, Samt, 2006(InPersian).
- Tavousi M, Heidarnia AR, Montazeri A, Taremian F, Akbari H, HaeriMehrizi AA. Distinction Between Two Control Constructs: An Application of the Theory of Planned Behavior for Substance Abuse Avoidance in Adolescents. Horizon of Medical Sciences 2009; 15(3): 36-44.
-Karimy M, Niknami SH, Heidarnia AR, HajizadehE. Intention to start cigarette smoking among Iranian male adolescents: usefulness of an extended version of the theory of planned Behavior. Heart Asia 2012; 4(1): 120–24.
-Li X, Mao R, Stanton B, Zhao Q. Parental, Behavioral, and Psychological Factors Associated with Cigarette Smoking among Secondary School Students in Nanjing, China. Journal of Child and Family Studies 2010; 19(3): 308-17.
- Karimy M, Niknami SH, Heidarnia AR, Hajizadeh I. Assessment of Knowledge, Health Belief and Patterns of Cigarette Smoking Among Adolescents. Journal of Fasa University ofMedical Sciences 2011; 1(3): 142-48(InPersian).
- Karimy M, Niknami SH, Heidarnia AR, Hajizadeh E, Montazeri A. Prevalence and determinants of male adolescents' smoking in Iran: an explanation based on the theory of planned behavior. Iranian Red Crescent MedicalJournal2013;15(3):187-93.
- Isfahani Z, Rezazadeh M, sigari S, Farhoudi B, Sheibani SH, Taghizadehasl R, et al. Education prevention of HIV/AIDS to people exposed to riski sexual behavior, especially coaches. First ed. Tehran: Resaneh Takhasosi Publications; 2011: 143-56 (InPersian).
- Rotheram-Borus MJ, Gwadz M, Fernandez ML, Srinivasan S. Timing of HIV Interventions on Reductions in Sexual Risk Among Adolescents. American Journal of Community Psychology 1998; 26(1): 73-96.
- Medley A, Kennedy C, O'Reilly K, Sweat M. Effectiveness of peer education interventions for HIV prevention in developing countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS education and prevention: official publication of the International Society for AIDS Education 2009; 21(3): 181-206.
- Taghdisi MH, Nouri Sistani M, Merghati Khoei F, Asgharnejad AA. The effect of peer Approach on the knowledge and practice of mental health of adolescent girls. TOLOO-E-BEHDASHT
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 96 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 52 بار