Site selection of rural waste landfill using the AHP model and GIS software (Case study: the central part of Ejroud city)
1 December 2018
Background and Aims: Site selection and management of a landfill site is one of the main pillars of sustainable development. Selection of an appropriate site for the burial of rural wastes is of utmost importance in rural areas. At present there is no coherent management in the field of rural wastes. Selecting the right place for landfilling requires considering several complex factors and thus the need for use of spatial information technologies and their incorporation to other managing and planning issues are raised.
Materials and Methods: In this study, nine important affecting parameters in locating the waste burial site including the slope, aspect, elevation, distance to the rural points, distance to the channels, distance to the roads, distance to the faults, erosion, and land use were considered to assess the appropriate site for burial of the rural wastes of the central part of Ejroud city. The identified parameters were compared by incorporating the Analytic Hierarchy Analysis (AHP) method in a pairwise manner and the corresponding weight of each factor, which indicates the effect of that factor, was calculated utilizing the Expert Choice software. All stages of this research were conducted ethically.
Results: Through the incorporation of weight layers obtained in the ArcGIS environment, the final locating map for burial of the rural wastes in the study area was prepared and categorized into 5 classes (completely inappropriate, inappropriate, intermediate, appropriate and completely appropriate).
Conclusion: The results showed that the appropriate and completely appropriate zones with 251.1 and 158.1 square kilometers had respectively the highest prefer ability for burial of the wastes in this categorization. Totally, about 41.8% of the total area of the town, was prioritized for the waste burial plans.
- Anabestani A, Javanshiri M. Locating of suitable burial place of hysteresis in rural settlements (Case study: Villages of Khaf County). Journal of Geography and Environmental Hazards 2013; 2(6):103-22.
- Faraji S, Salmani H, Fereydooni M, Karimzade F, Rahimi H. Rural hygiene landfill location by using Analytical Network Process model (Case study: Rural regions of Ghouchan). Journal of Spatial Planning (Modarres Quarterly) 2010; 14(1):127-49.
- Abdoli MA, ghiyasi nejad H .The strategic mining regulations on minimum coverage required in the case of solid waste landfills in the country. Journal of Environmental Studies 2006; 32(40):9-18 (In Persian).
- Hadiani Z, Ahadnejad M, Kazemizade S, Shahali A. Location of solid urban landfill by using fuzzy logic in GIS environment. Journal of Geographical Space 2011; 12(30):116-33 (In Persian).
- Pourahmad A, Habibi K, Zahraie M, Nazari Adli S. Using fuzzy algorithms and GIS for urban equipment location, Case Study: Landfill of Babolsar City. Journal of Environmental Studies 2007; 33(42):31-42 (In Persian).
- Goudarzi L, Akhondali AM, Zarei H. Identification of sites suitable for artificial recharging using GIS and AHP techniques (Case study: Oshtorinan Plain). RS & GIS for Natural Resources 2013; 4(2):53-67 (In Persian).
- Jafari HR, Rafiee Y, Ramezani Mehrian M, Nasiri H. Urban Landfill Site Selection Using AHP and SAW in GIS Environment (Case Study: Kohkiluye-o-Boyer Ahmad Province, Iran). Journal of Environmental Studies 2012; 38(1):131-40 (In Persian).
- Wang G, Qin L, Li G, Chen L. Landfill site selection using spatial information technologies and AHP: a case study in Beijing, China. Journal of Environmental Management 2009; 90(8):2414-21.
- Yahaya S, Ilori C, Whanda S, Edicha J. Landfill site selection for municipal solid waste management using geographic information system and multicriteria evaluation. American Journal of Scientific Research 2010; 10:34-49.
- Chang N-B, Parvathinathan G, Breeden JB. Combining GIS with fuzzy multicriteria decision-making for landfill siting in a fast-growing urban region. Journal of Environmental Management 2008; 87(1):139-53.
- Hasan MR, Tetsuo K, Islam SA. Landfill demand and allocation for municipal solid waste disposal in Dhaka city—an assessment in a GIS environment. Journal of Civil Engineering (IEB) 2009; 37(2):133-49.
- Şener Ş, Sener E, Karagüzel R. Solid waste disposal site selection with GIS and AHP methodology: a case study in Senirkent–Uluborlu (Isparta) Basin, Turkey. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 2011; 173(1-4):533-54.
- Mahamid I, Thawaba S. Multi Criteria and Landfill Site Selection Using Gis: A Case Study From Palestine. Open Environmental Engineering Journal 2010; 3:33-41.
- Oyinloye MA. Using GIS and Remote Sensing in urban waste disposal and management: A focus on Owo LGA, Ondo State, Nigeria. European International Journal of Science and Technology 2013; 2(7):106-18.
- Ebistu TA, Minale AS. Solid waste dumping site suitability analysis using geographic information system (GIS) and remote sensing for Bahir Dar Town, North Western Ethiopia. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 2013; 7(11):976-89.
- Safeepour M, Mokhtari Chelche S, Hosseini SR, Soleymanirad I. Locating the Rural Waste Landfills by Using Integrating Multi-Criteria Decision-Making Model in GIS Environment (Case Study: Shahrekord County). Journal of Research and Rural Planning 2016; 4(4):57-75 (In Persian).
- Yamani M, Alizadeh S. Site locating landfill in Hashtgerd area by using Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) and Geographic Information System (GIS). Geographical Data 2016; 24(96):79-90 (In Persian).
- Jafari M, Jafari A. Locating an appropriate landfill for rural wastes using the AHP model and GIS software (Case study: Mahneshan town). Journal of Research in Environmental Health 2016; 2(3):245-54 (In Persian).
- Nikzada V, Amiri M, Moarab Y, Foroughi N. Using Fuzzy Logic Analysis and Fuzzy ANP (FANP) method in GIS for landfill site selection (Case Study: Aliabad City). Geography and Environmental Hazards 2017; 6(21), 67-87 (In Persian).
- Mirabadi M, Abdi AH. Landfill locate in Bukan by Boolean logic and Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP). Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 2017; 19(1):149-68 (In Persian).
- Saaty TL. The Analytic Hierarchy Process: Planning, Priority Setting, Resource Allocation. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1980.
- Ramasht M, Hatami Fard R, Mosavy SH. Site selection of municipal solid waste disposal using AHP Model and GIS technique (Case Study: Kouhdasht City). Geography and Planning 2013; 17(44):119-38 (In Persian).
- Sadr Mosavy M, Moosakhani K, Abazrlou Sh AS. Optimal municipal solid waste landfill site selection using Analytical Hierarchy Model AHP (Case study: Zanjan city). Journal Management System 2012; 6(20):65-87 (In Persian).
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 204 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 97 بار