Dorsal Versus Ventral Dartos Flap to Prevent Fistula Formation in Tubularized Incised Plate Urethroplasty for Hypospadias
Vol. 19 No. 04 (2022),
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to evaluate the results of two different flap procedures for prevention of urethrocutaneous fistula in hypospadias patients undergoing tubularized incised plate urethroplasty .
Patients and Methods: We retrospectively reviewed 89 patients who underwent hypospadias repair. The standard technique of tubularized incised plate urethroplasty was used. There were 45 patients in Group 1 and 44 patients in Group 2, in which ventral and dorsal dartos flaps were used to cover the neourethra respectively. Surgical complications were assessed as the main outcomes. The results were analyzed with Chi-square and Mann-whitney u tests.
Results: There was no significiant difference between the groups in terms of age and meatus location. We observed postoperative surgical complications in 15 (33.3 %) patients in Group 1 and in 4 (9.1 %) patients in Group 2. The complications noted in the Group 1 were urethrocutaneous fistula in 10 patients ( 22.2 %) and meatal stenosis in 5 patients ( 11.1 %). In Group 2, fistula was observed in 2 patients (4.6 %) and stenosis in again 2 patients (4.6 %). Urethrocutaneous fistulas occurred statistically more frequently when ventral based dartos flaps were used (P < .05).
Conclusion: Several flap procedures and their modifications have been suggested to avoid fistula formation. Within these procedures, dartos flaps are reported to be very useful for primary distal or proximal hypospadias repair and reoperations. In this study, we concluded that ; vascularized dorsal preputial dartos flap procedure is safe and more effective than ventral based flap in prevention of fistula formation.
- Hypospadias, tubularized incised plate urethroplasty, urethrocutaneous fistula, dartos flap.
How to Cite
2. Manzoni G, Bracka A, Palminter E, Marrocco G. Hypospadias surgery: When, what and by whom. BJU Int. 2004; 94:1188-95
3. Snodgrass W. Tubularized incised plate urethroplasty for distal hpospadias. J Urol 1994; 151:464-65
4. Guralnick ML, al-Shammari A, Williot PE, Leonard MP. Outcome of hypospadias repair using the tabularized incised plate urethroplasty. Can J Urol 2000; 7: 986-91
5. Elicevik M, Tireli G, Sander S. Tubularized incisd plate urethroplasty: 5 years experience Eur Urol 2004; 46: 655-59
6. Djordjevic Ml, Perovic SV, Slavkovic Z, Djakovic N. Longitudinal dorsal dartos flap for prevention of fistula after a Snodgrass Hypospadias procedure. Eur Urol 2006; 50: 53-7
7. Bakan V, Yildiz A. Dorsal double-layer dartos flap for preventing fistula formation in the Snodgrass technique Urol Int. 2007; 78: 241-44
8. Hayashi Y, Kojima Y, Nakane A, Karakoma S, Tozawa K, Kohri K. Ventral based dartos flap for the prevention of the urethrocutaneous fistula urethroplasy. Int J Urol 2007; 14:725-28
9. Soygur T, Arikan N, Zumrutbas AE, Gulpinar O. Snodgrass hypospadias repair with ventral based dartos flap in combination with mucosal collars Eur Urol 2005; 47: 879-84
10. Baccala AA, Ross J, Detore N, Kay R Modified tabularized incised plate urethroplasty (Snodgrass) procedure for hypospadias repair Urology 2005; 66:1305-06
11. Snodgrass W, Yucel S. Tubularızed incised plate for midshaft and proximal hypospadias repair. J Urol 2007;177:698-702
12. Mustafa M. The concept of tubularized incised plate hypospadias repair for different types of hypospadias. Int Urol Nephrol 2005; 37:89-91
13. Borer JG, Bauer SB, Peter CA, et al: Tubularized incised plate urethroplasty: expanded use in primary and repeat surgery for hypospadias. J Urol. 2001; 165: 581-85
14. Nguyen MT, Snodgrass W. Tubularized incised plate hypospadias reoperation J Urol. 2004; 171: 2404-06
15. Telfer JR, Quaba AA, Kwai Ben I, et al: An investigation into the role of waterproofing in a two-stage hypopsadias repair. Br Plast Surg. 1998; 51:542-46
16. Sozubir S, Snodgrass WT: A new algorithm for primary hypospadias repair based on TIP urethroplasty. J Pediatr Surg 2003; 38:1157-61
17. Smith D. A de-epithelialized overlap, flap technique in the repair of hypospadias. Br J Plast Surg 1973; 26:106-08.
18. Shanberg AM, Sanderson K, Duel B. Re- operative hypospadias repair using Snodgrass incised plate urethroplasty. BJU Int. 2000; 87: 544-47
19. Furness PD III. Successful hypospadias repair with a ventral based vascular drtos pedicle for urethral coverage. J Urol. 2003; 169:1825-27
20. Savanelli A, Esposito C, Settimi A. A Prospective randomized comparative study on the use of ventral subcutaneous flap to prevent fistulas in the Snodgrass repair for distal hypospadias. World J Urol. 2007; 25: 641-45
21. Smith DP. A comprehensive analysis of a tabularized incised plate hypospadias repair. Urology 2001; 57:778-82
22. Snodgrass W, Koyle M, Manzoni G, Hurwitz R, Caldomone A, Erlich R. Tubularized incised plate hypospadias repair: Results of a multicenter experience J Urol. 1996; 156: 839-41
23. Cheng EY, Vemulapalli SN, Kropp BP. et al. Snodgrass hypospadias repair with vascularized dartos flap: the perfect repair for virgin cases of hypospadias. J Urol. 2002; 168:1723-26
24. Kamal BA. Double dartos flap in tabularized incised plate hypospadias repair. Urology 2005; 66:1095-98
25. Jia W, Liu G, Zhang L, et. al. Comparison of tubularized incised plate urethroplasty combined with a meatus-based ventral dartos flap or dorsal dartos flap in hypospadias. Pediatr Surg Int. 2016;32(4):411-15 doi: 10.1007/s00383-016-3860-y.
26. Fahmy O, Khairıl-Asri MG, Schwentner C, et al. Algorithm for Optimal Urethral Coverage in Hypospadias and Fistula Repair: A Systematic Review. Eur Urol. 2016;70(2):293-98 doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2015.12.047.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- 7098/pdf Downloaded: 0 times