Bladder Cancer Incidence in Iran: Results of the Iranian National Population-Based Cancer Registry from 2014 to 2016
Vol. 19 No. 04 (2022),
Purpose: Bladder cancer is a common cancer in the world with the highest rates in Southern and Western Europe, North America, and Western Asia. It imposes a high economic burden to the health care system globally. The objective of this study is to provide the incidence of bladder cancer and its geographic distribution in Iran in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Results: We registered 5817, 5662 and 6630 new bladder cancer cases in 2014, 2015 and 2016, respectively with men counting 82% of cases in every year. The ASR of bladder cancer in total Iranian population was 8.50 (95% CI: 8.28-8.72), 8.05 (95% CI: 7.83-8.27) and 8.74 (95% CI: 8.52-8.96) per 100,000 in those years. The male to female ratio was 5 every year. Kerman has the highest ASR in each of the years, respectively 15.49, 13.07 and 12.46, and Ilam has the lowest ASR during 2014 to 2015, respectively 4.27 and 3.50, and Sistan and Baluchestan has the lowest rate in 2016 (ASR:3.56) in both sexes.
Conclusion: The highest incidence of bladder cancer was observed in Central, southern and northwestern parts of Iran. Through the analysis of the incidence patterns and the identification of risk factors associated with it, steps can be taken towards prevention and control measures.
- Bladder cancer; Incidence; Registry; Iran
How to Cite
2. Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Siegel RL, Torre LA, Jemal A. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. (1542-4863 (Electronic)). eng.
3. Antoni S, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Znaor A, Jemal A, Bray F. Bladder Cancer Incidence and Mortality: A Global Overview and Recent Trends. European urology. 2017 Jan;71(1):96-108. PubMed PMID: 27370177. Epub 2016/07/03. eng.
4. Mahdavifar N, Ghoncheh M Fau - Pakzad R, Pakzad R Fau - Momenimovahed Z, Momenimovahed Z Fau - Salehiniya H, Salehiniya H. Epidemiology, Incidence and Mortality of Bladder Cancer and their Relationship with the Development Index in the World. (2476-762X (Electronic)). eng.
5. Leal J, Luengo-Fernandez R, Sullivan R, Witjes JA. Economic Burden of Bladder Cancer Across the European Union. European urology. 2016 Mar;69(3):438-47. PubMed PMID: 26508308. Epub 2015/10/29. eng.
6. Koohi F, Salehiniya H. THE TREND OF INCIDENCE OF BLADDER CANCER IN IRAN, 2003-2009. URMIA MEDICAL JOURNAL. 2015;26(1):1-9. eng.
7. Rafiemanesh H, Lotfi Z, Bakhtazad S, Ghoncheh M, Salehiniya H. The epidemiological and histological trend of bladder cancer in Iran. Journal of cancer research and therapeutics. 2018 Apr-Jun;14(3):532-6. PubMed PMID: 29893311. Epub 2018/06/13. eng.
8. Mazdak H, Tolou-Ghamari Z. Preliminary study of prevalence for bladder cancer in Isfahan Province, Iran. (2090-598X (Print)). eng.
9. Registries ENoC. Bladder cancer (BLC) Factsheet Italy: European commision joint research centre Via E. Fermi 2749; 2012 [cited 2016]. Available from: https://www.encr.eu/sites/default/files/factsheets/ENCR_Factcheet_Bladder_Cancer_2016.pdf.
10. Sadeghi Gandomani H, Asgari Tarazoj A, Hadavand Siri F, Karimi Rooveh A, Hosseni S, Naseri Borujeni N. Essentials of bladder cancer worldwide: incidence, mortality rate and risk factors. Biomedical Research and Therapy. 2017;4(9):1638-55.
11. Mahdavi S, Amoori N, Salehiniya H, Almasi Z, Enayatrad M. Trend of bladder cancer mortality in Iran (2006 to 2010). International Journal of Epidemiologic Research. 2015;2(4):184-9.
12. Burger M, Catto JW, Dalbagni G, Grossman HB, Herr H, Karakiewicz P, et al. Epidemiology and risk factors of urothelial bladder cancer. European urology. 2013 Feb;63(2):234-41. PubMed PMID: 22877502. Epub 2012/08/11. eng.
13. Wong MCS, Fung FDH, Leung C, Cheung WWL, Goggins WB, Ng CF. The global epidemiology of bladder cancer: a joinpoint regression analysis of its incidence and mortality trends and projection. Scientific reports. 2018 Jan 18;8(1):1129. PubMed PMID: 29348548. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC5773684. Epub 2018/01/20. eng.
14. Jafari-Koshki T, Arsang-Jang S, Mahaki B. Bladder Cancer in Iran: Geographical Distribution and Risk Factors. Iranian Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2017 02/18;In Press.
15. Iran Sco. Iranian National census. Tehran: Statistical Center of Iran 2011.
16. Iran SCo. Iranian Census Center. Statistical Center of Iran, 2016.
17. Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, Dikshit R, Eser S, Mathers C. GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide. IARC CancerBase No. 11. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 2013.
18. Curado M. Cancer incidence in five continents-volume IX. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 2008.
19. Standards for Cancer Registries Volume III. North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR), 2008.
20. Fritz A, Percy C, Jack A, Shanmugaratnam K, Sobin L, Parkin D. International classification of diseases for oncology (ICD-O) – 3rd edition, 1st revision. Malta: World Health Organization, 2013.
21. (IARC) IAfRoC. International rule for Multiple Primary Cancers. France: International Agency for Research on Cancers (IARC), Lyion, 2004.
22. (IARC) IAfRoC. CHECK AND CONVERSION PROGRAMS FOR CANCER REGISTRIES (IARC/IACR Tools for Cancer Registries). 2005.
23. Registries IAoC. CanReg5 Lyon, France2019. Available from: www.iacr.com.fr.
24. Segi M. Cancer mortality for selected sites in 24 countries (1950-57).. Sendai: Department of Public Health, 1960.
25. O.M. Jensen, D.M. Parklin, R. MacLennan. Cancer Registration: Principles and Methods. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 1991.
26. Letašiová S, Medveďová A, Šovčíková A, Dušinská M, Volkovová K, Mosoiu C, et al. Bladder cancer, a review of the environmental risk factors. Environmental Health. 2012 2012/06/28;11(1):S11.
27. Zeegers MP, Kellen E, Buntinx F, van den Brandt PA. The association between smoking, beverage consumption, diet and bladder cancer: a systematic literature review. World journal of urology. 2004 Feb;21(6):392-401. PubMed PMID: 14685762. Epub 2003/12/20. eng.
28. Lakkis NA, Adib SM, Hamadeh GN, El-Jarrah RT, Osman MH. Bladder Cancer in Lebanon: Incidence and Comparison to Regional and Western Countries. Cancer Control. 2018 Jan-Dec;25(1):1073274818789359-. PubMed PMID: 30027755. eng.
29. Freedman ND, Silverman Dt Fau - Hollenbeck AR, Hollenbeck Ar Fau - Schatzkin A, Schatzkin A Fau - Abnet CC, Abnet CC. Association between smoking and risk of bladder cancer among men and women. (1538-3598 (Electronic)). eng.
30. survey of risk factors (STEPS Fact sheet) Iran: Non-communicable diseases Research Center; 2016. Available from: www.vizit.report.
31. Cancer IAfRo. Carcinogenicity of opium consumption Lyon, France2020. IARC Monogr Identif Carcinog Hazards Hum (in press)]. Available from: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(20)30611-2/fulltext.
32. Sheikh M, Shakeri R, Poustchi H, Pourshams A, Etemadi A, Islami F, et al. Opium use and subsequent incidence of cancer: results from the Golestan Cohort Study. The Lancet Global Health. 2020;8(5):e649-e60.
33. Naghibzadeh-Tahami A, Marzban M, Yazdi-Feyzabadi V, Dabiri S, Mohseni S, Abbasi Rayeni R, et al. Is opium use associated with an increased risk of lung cancer? A case-control study. BMC Cancer. 2020 2020/08/26;20(1):807.
34. Afshari M, Janbabaei G, Bahrami MA, Moosazadeh M. Opium and bladder cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis of the odds ratios for opium use and the risk of bladder cancer. PLoS One [Internet]. 2017 2017; 12(6):[e0178527 p.]. Available from: http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/28586371, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0178527, https://europepmc.org/articles/PMC5460843, https://europepmc.org/articles/PMC5460843?pdf=render.
35. Shahesmaeili A, Malekpour Afshar R, Sadeghi A, Bazrafshan A. Cancer Incidence in Kerman Province, Southeast of Iran: Report of an ongoing Population-Based Cancer Registry, 2014. Asian Pacific journal of cancer prevention : APJCP. 2018 Jun 25;19(6):1533-41. PubMed PMID: 29936728. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC6103577. Epub 2018/06/26. eng.
36. Akbari M, Naghibzadeh-Tahami A, Khanjani N, Baneshi MR, Kamali E, Hesampour M, et al. Opium as a Risk Factor for Bladder Cancer: A Population-based Case-control Study in Iran. Archives of Iranian medicine. 2015 Sep;18(9):567-71. PubMed PMID: 26317596. Epub 2015/09/01. eng.
37. Delclos GL, Lerner SP. Occupational risk factors. Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology. 2008 2008/01/01;42(sup218):58-63.
38. Farzaneh F, Mehrparvar AH, Lotfi MH. Occupations and the Risk of Bladder Cancer in Yazd Province: A Case-Control Study. The international journal of occupational and environmental medicine. 2017 Oct;8(4):191-8. PubMed PMID: 28970593. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC6679604. Epub 2017/10/04. eng.
39. Barghi MR, Hajimohammadmehdiarbab A Fau - Moghaddam SMMH, Moghaddam Sm Fau - Kazemi B, Kazemi B. Correlation between human papillomavirus infection and bladder transitional cell carcinoma. (1471-2334 (Electronic)). eng.
40. Malats N, Real FX. Epidemiology of Bladder Cancer. Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America. 2015 2015/04/01/;29(2):177-89.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- 6760/pdf Downloaded: 0 times