Effects of Androgen Deprivation Therapy on COVID-19 in Patients with Prostate Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
23 February 2021
Purpose: Transmembrane serine protease 2 (TMPRSS2) facilitates SARS-CoV-2 cellular entry. Androgens regulate this protein and may increase the risk of COVID-19. Therefore, androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) may protect patients with prostate cancer from SARS-CoV-2 infection or decrease the severity of the disease. Therefore, we conducted a meta-analysis to study the effect of androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) on COVID-19 in patients with prostate cancer.
Methods: We systematically searched PubMed, Embase, Scopus, and Cochrane databases. All records underwent a two-step screening process to identify the eligible studies. The registered PROSPERO number of this study was CRD42021228398. We evaluated the effect of ADT on the risk of infection, hospitalization, ICU admission, and mortality.
Results: Six studies met inclusion criteria and were evaluated in this study. We performed meta-analysis on four eligible studies. The overall incidence of COVID-19 was 2.65% among patients with prostate cancer receiving ADT. COVID-19 mortality rate was about 22.7% in ADT (+) patients. ADT did not decrease the risk of any of the major outcomes; infection risk (OR= 0.63, 95% CI= 0.27- 1.48, P= 0.29), hospitalization rate (OR= 0.51, 95% CI= 0.10- 2.53, P= 0.41), ICU admission (OR= 1.11, 95% CI= 0.43- 2.90, P= 0.82), and mortality risk (OR= 1.21, 95% CI= 0.34- 4.32, P= 0.77).
Conclusion: We did not observe a protective effect on the risk of infection, hospitalization, ICU admission, and mortality in patients receiving ADT; therefore, it should not be considered as a prophylactic or treatment for COVID-19. On the other hand, ADT did not increase the mortality and morbidity of COVID-19 and should be considered a safe treatment for patients with prostate cancer during the pandemic. Further studies are necessary to confirm our findings.
- Androgen deprivation therapy; Androgen targeted therapy; COVID-19; Prostate Cancer; SARS-CoV-2
How to Cite
2. Mehraeen E, Karimi A, Barzegary A, Vahedi F, Afsahi AM, Dadras O, et al. Predictors of mortality in patients with COVID-19-a systematic review. European journal of integrative medicine. 2020;40:101226.
3. Venkatesh V. Impacts of COVID-19: A research agenda to support people in their fight. International journal of information management. 2020;55:102197.
4. Bennani NN, Bennani-Baiti IM. Androgen deprivation therapy may constitute a more effective COVID-19 prophylactic than therapeutic strategy. Annals of Oncology. 2020;31(11):1585-6.
5. Cattrini C, Bersanelli M, Latocca MM, Conte B, Vallome G, Boccardo F. Sex hormones and hormone therapy during covid-19 pandemic: Implications for patients with cancer. Cancers. 2020;12(8):1-13.
6. Neil AB, Jillian O, Tanya D, Sumanta P, Neeraj A, Robert AF, et al. COVID-19 and androgen-targeted therapy for prostate cancer patients. Endocrine-Related Cancer. 2020;27(9):R281-R92.
7. O'Callaghan ME, Jay A, Kichenadasse G, Moretti KL. Androgen deprivation therapy in unlikely to be effective for treatment of COVID-19. Annals of Oncology. 2020;31(12):1780-2.
8. Mollica V, Rizzo A, Massari F. The pivotal role of TMPRSS2 in coronavirus disease 2019 and prostate cancer. Future Oncology. 2020;16(27):2029-33.
9. Deng Q, Rasool RU, Natesan R, Asangani IA. Therapeutic targeting of TMPRSS2 andACE2 as a potential strategy to combat COVID-19. Clinical Cancer Research. 2020;26(18 SUPPL).
10. Mjaess G, Karam A, Aoun F, Albisinni S, Roumeguère T. COVID-19 and the male susceptibility: the role of ACE2, TMPRSS2 and the androgen receptor. Progres en urologie : journal de l'Association francaise d'urologie et de la Societe francaise d'urologie. 2020;30(10):484-7.
11. John J, Kesner K. COVID-19: the androgen hypothesis. Afr J Urol. 2020;26(1).
12. Hoffmann M, Kleine-Weber H, Schroeder S, Krüger N, Herrler T, Erichsen S, et al. SARS-CoV-2 Cell Entry Depends on ACE2 and TMPRSS2 and Is Blocked by a Clinically Proven Protease Inhibitor. Cell. 2020;181(2):271-80.e8.
13. Matsuyama S, Nao N, Shirato K, Kawase M, Saito S, Takayama I, et al. Enhanced isolation of SARS-CoV-2 by TMPRSS2-expressing cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2020;117(13):7001-3.
14. Shang J, Wan Y, Luo C, Ye G, Geng Q, Auerbach A, et al. Cell entry mechanisms of SARS-CoV-2. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2020;117(21):11727-34.
15. Heurich A, Hofmann-Winkler H, Gierer S, Liepold T, Jahn O, Pöhlmann S. TMPRSS2 and ADAM17 cleave ACE2 differentially and only proteolysis by TMPRSS2 augments entry driven by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus spike protein. Journal of virology. 2014;88(2):1293-307.
16. Strope JD, Chau CH, Figg WD. Are sex discordant outcomes in COVID-19 related to sex hormones? Semin Oncol. 2020;47(5):335-40.
17. Yanez ND, Weiss NS, Romand J-A, Treggiari MMJBPH. COVID-19 mortality risk for older men and women. 2020;20(1):1-7.
18. Sharma G, Volgman AS, Michos EDJCR. Sex differences in mortality from COVID-19 pandemic: are men vulnerable and women protected? 2020;2(9):1407-10.
19. Dana PM, Sadoughi F, Hallajzadeh J, Asemi Z, Mansournia MA, Yousefi B, et al. An insight into the sex differences in COVID-19 patients: what are the possible causes? 2020;35(4):438-41.
20. Pagliarulo V, Bracarda S, Eisenberger MA, Mottet N, Schröder FH, Sternberg CN, et al. Contemporary Role of Androgen Deprivation Therapy for Prostate Cancer. European Urology. 2012;61(1):11-25.
21. Sharifi N, Gulley JL, Dahut WL. Androgen Deprivation Therapy for Prostate Cancer. JAMA. 2005;294(2):238-44.
22. Rusthoven CG, Jones BL, Flaig TW, Crawford ED, Koshy M, Sher DJ, et al. Improved survival with prostate radiation in addition to androgen deprivation therapy for men with newly diagnosed metastatic prostate cancer. 2016;34(24):2835-42.
23. Keating NL, Malley AJO, Smith MR. Diabetes and cardiovascular disease during androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2006;24:4448-56.
24. Saylor PJ, Smith MR. Adverse effects of androgen deprivation therapy: defining the problem and promoting health among men with prostate cancer. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. 2010;8:211-23.
25. Klotz L, Boccon-Gibod L, Shore ND, Andreou C, Persson BE, Cantor P, et al. The efficacy and safety of degarelix: a 12-month, comparative, randomized, open-label, parallel-group phase III study in patients with prostate cancer. BJU International. 2008;102:1531-8.
26. Attard G, Reid AH, Yap TA, Raynaud F, Dowsett M, Settatree S, et al. Phase I clinical trial of a selective inhibitor of CYP17, abiraterone acetate, confirms that castration-resistant prostate cancer commonly remains hormone driven. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2008;26:4563-71.
27. Donnell AO, Judson I, Dowsett M, Raynaud F, Dearnaley D, Mason M, et al. Hormonal impact of the 17alpha-hydroxylase/C(17,20)-lyase inhibitor abiraterone acetate (CB7630) in patients with prostate cancer. British Journal of Cancer. 2004;90:2317-25.
28. Klein EA, Li J, Milinovich A, Schold JD, Sharifi N, Kattan MW, et al. Androgen Deprivation Therapy in Men With Prostate Cancer Does Not Affect Risk of Infection With SARS-CoV-2. The Journal of urology. 2020:101097JU0000000000001338.
29. Koskinen M, Carpen O, Honkanen V, Seppänen MRJ, Miettinen PJ, Tuominen JA, et al. Androgen deprivation and SARS-CoV-2 in men with prostate cancer. Annals of Oncology. 2020;31(10):1417-8.
30. Montopoli M, Zumerle S, Vettor R, Rugge M, Zorzi M, Catapano CV, et al. Androgen-deprivation therapies for prostate cancer and risk of infection by SARS-CoV-2: a population-based study (N = 4532). Annals of Oncology. 2020;31(8):1040-5.
31. Patel VG, Zhong X, Liaw B, Tremblay D, Tsao CK, Galsky MD, et al. Does androgen deprivation therapy protect against severe complications from COVID-19? Annals of Oncology. 2020;31(10):1419-20.
32. Caffo O, Zagonel V, Baldessari C, Berruti A, Bortolus R, Buti S, et al. On the relationship between androgen-deprivation therapy for prostate cancer and risk of infection by SARS-CoV-2. Annals of Oncology. 2020;31(10):1415-6.
33. Caffo O, Gasparro D, Di Lorenzo G, Volta AD, Guglielmini P, Zucali P, et al. Incidence and outcomes of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer. European Journal of Cancer. 2020;140:140-6.
34. Nima S, James LG, William LD. An update on androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. Endocrine-Related Cancer. 2010;17(4):R305-R15.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- Just Accepted/6691 Downloaded: 0 times