The Role of Pentraxin-3, Fetuin-A and Sirtuin-7 in the Diagnosis of Prostate Cancer
Vol. 19 No. 03 (2022),
Purpose: Prostate canceris the most commonly diagnosed type of cancer and one of the leading causes of cancer-related death in men.Numerous efforts have been made to improve existing diagnostic methods and develop a new biomarker to identify patients with prostate cancer. In line with current literature, we preferred new serum-based biochemical markers as Pentraxin-3, Fetuin-A and Sirtuin-7 in the present study.
Materials and Methods: A total of 174 patients aged 42-76 years were included in the study. Patients with prostate cancer (n=38) were enrolled as Group 1 and patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia (n=136) as Group 2. The serum levels of Pentraxin-3, Fetuin-A and Sirtuin-7 levels were compared between the groups.
Results: The mean age of the patients was 61.9±7.6 years (p= .001). The mean serum Prostate Specific Antigen levels 32.0±59.6 (2.6-336) ng/mL and 10.0±11.3 (2.5-77.4) ng/mL in Group 1 and 2, respectively (p= .029). The mean serum levels of Pentraxin-3 and Fetuin-Ain Group 1 were statistically significantlydifferent from Group 2(3.3±4.4 ng/mL vs 1.8±2.4 ng/mL, p= .002 and 466.8±11.0 µg/mL vs 513.3±11.0 µg/mL,p= .041,respectively). There was no significant difference between Group 1 and 2 according to serum levels of Sirtuin-7 (12.7±8.2 ng/mL vs 12.7±12.4 ng/mL respectively, p= .145).
Conclusion: Pentraxin-3, Fetuin-A and Sirtuin-7 may be effective in the diagnosis of prostate cancerin light of the current literature.In this study, it was found that Pentraxin-3 and Fetuin-A were significantly different in the diagnosis of prostate cancer.Larger-scale prospective studies are needed to determine the importance of Pentraxin-3 and Fetuin-A in the diagnosis of prostate cancer.
- pentraxin-3, fetuin-A, sirtuin-7, prostate cancer, biochemical marker
How to Cite
1. Feng S, Qian X, Li H, Zhang X. Combinations of elevated tissue miRNA-17-92 cluster expression and serum prostate-specific antigen as potential diagnostic biomarkers for prostate cancer. Oncol Lett. 2017;14(6):6943-9.
2. Center MM, Jemal A, Lortet-Tieulent J, et al. International variation in prostate cancer incidence and mortality rates. Eur Urol. 2012;61(6):1079-92.
3. Matthes KL, Limam M, Dehler S, Korol D, Rohrmann S. Primary Treatment Choice Over Time and Relative Survival of Prostate Cancer Patients: Influence of Age, Grade, and Stage. Oncol Res Treat. 2017;40(9):484-9.
4. Fredsoe J, Koetsenruyter J, Vedsted P, et al. The effect of assessing genetic risk of prostate cancer on the use of PSA tests in primary care: A cluster randomized controlled trial. PLoS Med. 2020;17(2):e1003033.
5. Stallone G, Cormio L, Netti GS, et al. Pentraxin 3: a novel biomarker for predicting progression from prostatic inflammation to prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2014;74(16):4230-8.
6. Garlanda C, Bottazzi B, Bastone A, Mantovani A. Pentraxins at the crossroads between innate immunity, inflammation, matrix deposition, and female fertility. Annu Rev Immunol. 2005;23:337-66.
7. Stallone G, Netti GS, Cormio L, et al. Modulation of complement activation by pentraxin-3 in prostate cancer. Sci Rep. 2020;10(1):18400.
8. Ochieng J, Nangami G, Sakwe A, et al. Impact of Fetuin-A (AHSG) on Tumor Progression and Type 2 Diabetes. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19(8).
9. Dabrowska AM, Tarach JS, Wojtysiak-Duma B, Duma D. Fetuin-A (AHSG) and its usefulness in clinical practice. Review of the literature. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub. 2015;159(3):352-9.
10. He L, Shi X, Liu Z, et al. Roles Of EAAT1, DHFR, And Fetuin-A In The Pathogenesis, Progression And Prognosis Of Chondrosarcoma. Onco Targets Ther. 2019;12:8411-20.
11. Ding M, Jiang CY, Zhang Y, Zhao J, Han BM, Xia SJ. SIRT7 depletion inhibits cell proliferation and androgen-induced autophagy by suppressing the AR signaling in prostate cancer. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2020;39(1):28.
12. Romain Haider FM, Lisa Kaminski, Stephan Clavel, et al. Sirtuin 7: a new marker of aggressiveness in prostate cancer. Oncotarget. 2017;8(44):77309-16.
13. Becerra MF, Atluri VS, Bhattu AS, Punnen S. Serum and urine biomarkers for detecting clinically significant prostate cancer. Urol Oncol. 2020.
14. Kohaar I, Petrovics G, Srivastava S. A Rich Array of Prostate Cancer Molecular Biomarkers: Opportunities and Challenges. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(8).
15. Koseoglu E, Tuncel A, Balci M, et al. Netrin 1 and Alpha-Methyl Acylcoenzim-A Racemase in diagnosis of prostate cancer. Colomb Med (Cali). 2018;49(2):164-8.
16. Hendriks RJ, van Oort IM, Schalken JA. Blood-based and urinary prostate cancer biomarkers: a review and comparison of novel biomarkers for detection and treatment decisions. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2017;20(1):12-9.
17. Giacomini A, Ghedini GC, Presta M, Ronca R. Long pentraxin 3: A novel multifaceted player in cancer. Biochim Biophys Acta Rev Cancer. 2018;1869(1):53-63.
18. Matarazzo S, Melocchi L, Rezzola S, et al. Long Pentraxin-3 Follows and Modulates Bladder Cancer Progression. Cancers (Basel). 2019;11(9).
19. Ronca R, Alessi P, Coltrini D, et al. Long pentraxin-3 as an epithelial-stromal fibroblast growth factor-targeting inhibitor in prostate cancer. J Pathol. 2013;230(2):228-38.
20. Scimeca M, Bonfiglio R, Urbano N, et al. Programmed death ligand 1 expression in prostate cancer cells is associated with deep changes of the tumor inflammatory infiltrate composition. Urol Oncol. 2019;37(5):297 e19- e31.
21. Nangami GN, Sakwe AM, Izban MG, et al. Fetuin-A (alpha 2HS glycoprotein) modulates growth, motility, invasion, and senescence in high-grade astrocytomas. Cancer Med. 2016;5(12):3532-43.
22. Icer MA, Yıldıran H. Effects of fetuin-A with diverse functions and multiple mechanisms on human health. Clinical biochemistry. 2020.
23. Guillory B, Sakwe AM, Saria M, et al. Lack of fetuin-A (alpha2-HS-glycoprotein) reduces mammary tumor incidence and prolongs tumor latency via the transforming growth factor-beta signaling pathway in a mouse model of breast cancer. Am J Pathol. 2010;177(5):2635-44.
24. Mintz PJ, Rietz AC, Cardo-Vila M, et al. Discovery and horizontal follow-up of an autoantibody signature in human prostate cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112(8):2515-20.
25. Zhan K, Liu R, Tong H, et al. Fetuin B overexpression suppresses proliferation, migration, and invasion in prostate cancer by inhibiting the PI3K/AKT signaling pathway. Biomed Pharmacother. 2020;131:110689.
26. Haigis MC, Sinclair DA. Mammalian sirtuins: biological insights and disease relevance. Annu Rev Pathol. 2010;5:253-95.
27. Kiran S, Anwar T, Kiran M, Ramakrishna G. Sirtuin 7 in cell proliferation, stress and disease: Rise of the Seventh Sirtuin! Cell Signal. 2015;27(3):673-82.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- 6626/pdf Downloaded: 0 times