Robotic Excision of the Vagina in a 46 XX DSD Male Patient. First Pediatric Report
23 February 2021
The Disorders of Sex Differentiation (DSD) represent a wide range of congenital anomalies of the genitalia. Surgical treatment of these cases may become a challenge. We present a case of a 16-year-old boy with 46 XX DSD, SRY negative, presented with persistent dribbling incontinence, recurrent UTI and perineal pain. Past medical history included right orchiectomy, laparoscopic excision of uterus, fallopian tubes and left streak gonad at another institution at the age of 2 years. The native vagina was left in place. VCUG confirmed the presence of the residual vagina (8 cm in maximum length), connected with the bulbar urethra. Robotic-assisted laparoscopy of the vagina was performed with satisfying short and long-term results.
- Robotic surgery; DSD; UTI; pelvic surgery
How to Cite
2. Alqahtani A, Albassam A, Zamakhshary et al. Robot-assisted pediatric surgery: how far can we go? World J Surg, 2010;34:975-8.
3. Matthews CA. Applications of robotic surgery in gynecology. J Womens Health (Larchmt), 2010;19.863-7.
4. Onal B, Diamond DA, Retik AB, Cendrom M, Nguyen HT. Robot-assisted laparoscopic excision os symptomatica retrovescical cyst in boys and young adults. J Urol. 2011;186:2372-2378.
5. Estrada CR, Passerotti CC. Robotic surgery in pediatric urology. Arch. Esp. Urol. 2007;60:471-479.
6. Benmohamed B, Chaker K, Obringer L et al. Duplicated collecting system with ectopic prostatic implantation: Therapeutic conservative robot assisted approach, about a case report. Urol Case Rep. 2019 Nov 6;30.
7. Lima M, Maffi M, Di Salvo N et al. Robotic removal of Müllerian duct remnants in pediatric patients: our experience and a review of the literature. Pediatr Med Chir. 2018 May 30;40.
8. Ferong K, Waterschoot M, Sinatti C et al. Rare and special robotic surgery indications in the pediatric population: ectopic organs and differences of sexual development. World J Urol. 2019 Aug 22.
9. Benmohamed B, Chaker K, Obringer L et al. Duplicated collecting system with ectopic prostatic implantation: Therapeutic conservative robot assisted approach, about a case report. Urol Case Rep. 2019 Nov 6;30.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- Just Accepted/6470 Downloaded: 0 times