Preventive Effects of NSAIDs on Lung Tissue Oxidative Damage in an Animal Sepsis Model
Journal of Cellular & Molecular Anesthesia,
Vol. 7 No. 1 (2022),
Background/aim: Sepsis is a very heterogeneous syndrome that is caused by a dysregulated host response to infection. Inflammatory cascades have an important role in sepsis and can potentially be suppressed by anti-inflammatory compounds. So, this study was focused on the antiseptic effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) on lung injuries based on cecal ligation and puncture (CLP) surgery.
Materials and methods: Male wistar rats divided into 6 groups (n=50) as follows: Control, Laparotomy (LAP), CLP and three treatment groups. The rats were killed after 48 h and the lung tissue was subjected to antioxidant enzymes (LP (lipid peroxidation), MPO (myeloperoxidase), and GSH (Glutathione)) and inflammatory genes expression (cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), CD177 and MPO).
Results: The results indicated that CLP caused lung injury by changes in antioxidant enzymes and genes expression (P<0.05). Treatments with indomethacin, celecoxib and aspirin as anti-inflammatory compounds significantly improved antioxidant enzymes by reducing LP and MPO level as well as genes expression and increasing level of GSH (P<0.05).
Conclusion: Our results indicated that sepsis caused oxidative damage in the lung tissue, and the uses of NSAIDs were effective in preventing and improving these injuries.
- Sepsis, Anti-inflammatory compounds, Antioxidant enzymes, CLP
How to Cite
2. Strong VE, Mackrell PJ, Concannon EM, Naama HA, Schaefer PA, Shaftan GW, Stapleton PP, Daly JM. Blocking prostaglandin E2 after trauma attenuates pro-inflammatory cytokines and improves survival. Shock. 2000; 14: 374-379.
3. Lucas S. The pharmacology of indomethacin. Headache 2016; 56: 436-446.
4. Ricciotti E, FitzGerald GA. Prostaglandins and inflammation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011; 31: 986-1000.
5. Nissen SE, Yeomans ND, Solomon DH, Lüscher TF, Libby P, Husni ME, Graham DY, Borer JS, Wisniewski LM, Wolski KE, Wang Q. Cardiovascular safety of celecoxib, naproxen, or ibuprofen for arthritis. New England Journal of Medicine. 2016;375:2519-29.
6. Le Turnier P, Boutoille D, Joyau C, Veyrac G, Asseray N. Bacterial infections and NSAIDs exposure? Seek septic complications. Eur J Case Rep Intern Med. 2017; 41: e33-e34.
7. Floyd CN, Ferro A. Mechanisms of aspirin resistance. Pharmacol Ther. 2014; 141:69-78.
8. Eisen DP. Manifold beneficial effects of acetyl salicylic acid and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on sepsis. Intensive care medicine. 2012;38(8):1249-57.
9. Aronoff DM. Cyclooxygenase inhibition in sepsis: is there life after death?. Mediators of inflammation. 2012;2012.
10. Rhodes A, Evans LE, Alhazzani W, Levy MM, Antonelli M, Ferrer R, Kumar A, Sevransky JE, Sprung CL, Nunnally ME, Rochwerg B. Surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for management of sepsis and septic shock: 2016. Intensive care medicine. 2017;43(3):304-77.
11. Hotchkiss RS, Moldawer LL, Opal SM, Reinhart K, Turnbull IR, Vincent JL. Sepsis and septic shock. Nature reviews Disease primers. 2016 Jun 30;2(1):1-21.
12. Rubin BR, Burton R, Navarra S, Antigua J, Londono J, Pryhuber KG, Ozturk, ZE. Efficacy and safety profile of treatment with etoricoxib 120 mg once daily compared with indomethacin 50 mg three times daily in acute gout: a randomized controlled trial. Arthritis & Rheumatology. 2004; 50: 598-606.
13. Rasooli A, Ghafari E, SAEIDI H, Miri S. Expression changes of CD177 and MPO as novel biomarkers in lung tissue of CLP model rats. Turkish journal of medical sciences. 2018;48(6): 1321-1327.
14. Wang YC, Liu QX, Zheng Q, Liu T, Xu XE, Liu XH, Gao W, Bai XJ, Li ZF. Dihydromyricetin alleviates sepsis-induced acute lung injury through inhibiting NLRP3 inflammasome-dependent pyroptosis in mice model. Inflammation. 2019;42(4):1301-10
15. Polat G, Ugan RA, Cadirci E, Halici Z. Sepsis and septic shock: current treatment strategies and new approaches. The Eurasian journal of medicine. 2017;49(1):53.
16. Cadirci E, Ugan RA, Dincer B, Gundogdu B, Cinar I, Akpinar E, Halici Z. Urotensin receptors as a new target for CLP induced septic lung injury in mice. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's archives of pharmacology. 2019;392(2):135-45. 17. Albayrak A, Halici Z, Polat B, Karakus E, Cadirci E, Bayir Y, Kunak S, Karcioglu SS, Yigit S, Unal D, Atamanalp SS. Protective effects of lithium: a new look at an old drug with potential antioxidative and anti-inflammatory effects in an animal model of sepsis. International immunopharmacology. 2013;16(1):35-40.
18. Cadirci E, Halici Z, Odabasoglu F, Albayrak A, Karakus E, Unal D, Atalay F, Ferah I, Unal B. Sildenafil treatment attenuates lung and kidney injury due to overproduction of oxidant activity in a rat model of sepsis: a biochemical and histopathological study. Clinical & Experimental Immunology. 2011 166(3):374-84.
19. Wu GJ, Lin YW, Tsai HC, Lee YW, Chen JT, Chen RM. Sepsis-induced liver dysfunction was ameliorated by propofol via suppressing hepatic lipid peroxidation, inflammation, and drug interactions. Life sciences. 2018;213:279-86.
20. Goudarzi M, Khodayar MJ, Hosseini Tabatabaei SM, Ghaznavi H, Fatemi I, Mehrzadi S. Pretreatment with melatonin protects against cyclophosphamide‐induced oxidative stress and renal damage in mice. Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2017; 31: 625-35.
21. Ehsani V, Amirteimoury M, Taghipour Z, Shamsizadeh A, Bazmandegan G, Rahnama A, Khajehasani F, Fatemi I. Protective effect of hydroalcoholic extract of Pistacia vera against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Renal failure. 2017; 39: 519-25.
22. Miri S, Hajihosseini R, Saedi H, Vaseghi M, Rasooli A. Fermented soybean meal extract improves oxidative stress factors in the lung of inflammation/infection animal model. Annals of Microbiology. 2019:1-9.
23.Zhao H, Luo F, Li H, Zhang L, Yi Y, Wan J. Antinociceptive effect of tetrandrine on LPS-induced hyperalgesia via the inhibition of IKKβ phosphorylation and the COX-2/PGE2 pathway in mice. PLoS One. 2014; 9: e94586.
24. Huang YH, Tsai PS, Huang CJ. Bupivacaine inhibits COX-2 expression, PGE2, and cytokine production in endotoxin-activated macrophages. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2008; 52: 530-535.
25. Yonezawa K, Horie O, Yoshioka A, Matsuki S, Tenjin T, Tsukamura Y, Yoneda M, Shibata K, Koike Y, Nomura T et al. Association between the neutrophil myeloperoxidase index and subsets of bacterial infections. Int J Lab Hematol 2010; 32:
26. Bai M, Grieshaber-Bouyer R, Wang J, Schmider AB, Wilson ZS, Zeng L, Halyabar O, Godin MD, Nguyen HN, Levescot A, Cunin P. CD177 modulates human neutrophil migration through activation-mediated integrin and chemoreceptor regulation. Blood, The Journal of the American Society of Hematology. 2017 Nov 9;130(19):2092-100.
27. Floyd CN, Ferro A. Mechanisms of aspirin resistance. Pharmacol Ther. 2014; 141:69-78.
28. Shan Y, Zhao R, Geng W, Lin N, Wang X, Du X, Wang S. Protective effect of sulforaphane on human vascular endothelial cells against lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory damage. Cardiovascular toxicology. 2010;10(2):139-45.
29. Houshmand G, Mansouri MT, Naghizadeh B, Hemmati AA, Hashemitabar M. Potentiation of indomethacin-induced anti-inflammatory response by pioglitazone in carrageenan-induced acute inflammation in rats: Role of PPARγ receptors. Int Immunopharmacol. 2016; 38: 434-42.
30. Saito M, Nameda S, Miura NN, Adachi Y, Ohno N. Effect of SPG/indomethacin treatment on sepsis, interleukin-6 production, and expression of hepatic cytochrome P450 isoforms in differing strains of mice. J Immunotoxicol. 2009; 6: 42-48.
- Abstract Viewed: 37 times
- PDF Downloaded: 71 times