Visual acuity impairment in patients with retinitis pigmentosa
Researcher Bulletin of Medical Sciences,
Vol. 26 No. 1 (2021),
Purpose: To determine the visual acuity (VA) impairment in patients with retinitis pigmentosa (RP) in different age groups.
Materials and Methods: This descriptive study was extracted from the recorded data in the National Registry for Inherited Retinal Diseases (IRDs) in Iran (IRDReg®). The clinical records of 441 patients with a diagnosis of RP were investigated in the present study. The comprehensive visual and ocular examination with retinal imaging were conducted for all study subjects to ascertain the definite clinical diagnosis of RP. VA was classified based on the presenting VA (PGVA) of the better eye according to the International Classification of Diseases reported by the World Health Organization (WHO).
Results: In this study, a total of 441 RP patients with the mean age of 38.66 ± 14.24 years (range, 4 to 74) were included. Generally, the majority of RP patients in the age range of 20 to 40 years had visual impairment (80%; 95% CI, 74.3% to 84.9%). RP patients with younger ages had mild visual impairment (26.3%; 95% CI, 14.4% to 41.7%), while patients with no light perception was only found in older ages (3.4%; 95%CI, 1.4% to 6.8%), (P<0.001). The most frequency of RP patients suffering from visual impairment had disease onset at age ≤20 years (82.0%; 95% CI, 77% to 86.2%), and also severe visual impairment was observed in patients with earlier disease onset (2.6%; 95% CI, 1.2% to 5.1%), (P=0.001).
Conclusion: Based on our findings, more disease progression and subsequently visual acuity reduction was observed in RP patients who had older ages and disease onset in younger ages.
- Visual acuity; Visual impairment; Retinitis pigmento
How to Cite
2. Ayton LN, Guymer RH, Luu CD. Choroidal thickness profiles in retinitis pigmentosa. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2013;41(4):396-403.
3. Birtel J, Gliem M, Oishi A, Müller PL, Herrmann P, Holz FG, Mangold E, Knapp M, Bolz HJ, Charbel Issa P. Genetic testing in patients with retinitis pigmentosa: Features of unsolved cases. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2019;47(6):779-786.
4. Grover S, Fishman GA, Alexander KR, Anderson RJ, Derlacki DJ. Visual acuity impairment in patients with retinitis pigmentosa. Ophthalmology. 1996;103(10):1593-600.
5. Bertelsen M, Jensen H, Bregnhøj JF, Rosenberg T. Prevalence of generalized retinal dystrophy in Denmark. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2014;21(4):217-23.
6. Oh KT, Weleber RG, Stone EM, Oh DM, Rosenow J, Billingslea AM. Electroretinographic findings in patients with Stargardt disease and fundus flavimaculatus. Retina. 2004;24(6):920-8.
7. Yeoh J, Rahman W, Chen F, Hooper C, Patel P, Tufail A, Webster AR, Moore AT, Dacruz L. Choroidal imaging in inherited retinal disease using the technique of enhanced depth imagingoptical coherence tomography. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2010;248(12):1719-28.
8. Vezinaw CM, Fishman GA, McAnany JJ. Visual impairment in retinitis pigmentosa. Retina. 2019. [Epub ahead of print]
9. Dhoot DS, Huo S, Yuan A, Xu D, Srivistava S, Ehlers JP, Traboulsi E, Kaiser PK. Evaluation of choroidal thickness in retinitis pigmentosa using enhanced depth imaging optical coherence tomography. Br J Ophthalmol. 2013;97(1):66-9.
10. Heckenlively JR, Yoser SL, Friedman LH, Oversier JJ. Clinical findings and common symptoms in retinitis pigmentosa. Am J Ophthalmol. 1988;105(5):504-11.
11. Berson EL, Weigel-DiFranco C, Rosner B, Gaudio AR, Sandberg MA. Association of Vitamin A Supplementation With Disease Course in Children With Retinitis Pigmentosa. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2018;136(5):490-495.
12. Rayapudi S, Schwartz SG, Wang X, Chavis P. Vitamin A and fish oils for retinitis pigmentosa. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;(12):CD008428.
13. Beltran WA, Cideciyan AV, Boye SE, Ye GJ, Iwabe S, Dufour VL, Marinho LF, Swider M, Kosyk MS, Sha J, Boye SL, Peterson JJ, Witherspoon CD, Alexander JJ, Ying GS, Shearman MS, Chulay JD, Hauswirth WW, Gamlin PD, Jacobson SG, Aguirre GD. Optimization of Retinal Gene Therapy for X-Linked Retinitis Pigmentosa Due to RPGR Mutations. Mol Ther. 2017;25(8):1866-1880.
14. Grover S, Fishman GA, Anderson RJ, Tozatti MS, Heckenlively JR, Weleber RG, Edwards AO, Brown J Jr. Visual acuity impairment in patients with retinitis pigmentosa at age 45 years or older. Ophthalmology. 1999;106(9):1780-5.
15. Grover S, Fishman GA, Alexander KR, Anderson RJ, Derlacki DJ. Visual acuity impairment in patients with retinitis pigmentosa. Ophthalmology. 1996;103(10):1593-600.
16. Dandona L, Dandona R. Revision of visual impairment definitions in the International
Statistical Classification of Diseases. BMC Med. 2006;4:7.
17. Zhang Q. Retinitis Pigmentosa: Progress and Perspective. Asia Pac J Ophthalmol (Phila). 2016;5(4):265-71.
18. Latham K, Baranian M, Timmis MA, Fisher A, Pardhan S. Relative Difficulties of Daily Living Tasks with Retinitis Pigmentosa. Optom Vis Sci. 2017;94(3):317-328.
19. Herse P. Retinitis pigmentosa: visual function and multidisciplinary management. Clin Exp Optom. 2005;88(5):335-50.
20. Moschos M, Chatzirallis A, Chatziralli I. Psychological aspects and depression in patients with retinitis pigmentosa. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2015;25(5):459-62.
21. Na KH, Kim HJ, Kim KH, Han S, Kim P, Hann HJ, Ahn HS. Prevalence, Age at Diagnosis, Mortality, and Cause of Death in Retinitis Pigmentosa in Korea-A Nationwide Population-based Study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017;176:157-165.
22. Kim S, Shin DW, An AR, Lee CH, Park JH, Park JH, Oh MK, Hwang SH, Kim Y, Cho B, Lee HK. Mental health of people with retinitis pigmentosa. Optom Vis Sci. 2013;90(5):488-93.
23. Onakpoya OH, Adeoti CO, Oluleye TS, Ajayi IA, Majengbasan T, Olorundare OK. Clinical presentation and visual status of retinitis pigmentosa patients: a multicenter study in southwestern Nigeria. Clin Ophthalmol. 2016; 10: 1579–1583.
24. Eballe AO, Koki G, Emche CB, Bella LA, Kouam JM, Melong J. Blindness and visual impairment in retinitis pigmentosa: a Cameroonian hospital-based study. Clin Ophthalmol. 2010; 4: 661–665.
25. Ukponmwan CU, Atamah A. Retinitis pigmentosa in Benin, Nigeria. East Afr Med J. 2004;81:254–257.
26. Tsujikawa M, Wada Y, Sukegawa M, Sawa M, Gomi F, Nishida K, Tano Y. Age at onset curves of retinitis pigmentosa. Arch Ophthalmol. 2008;126:337–340.
27. Teri B. O'Neal; Euil E. Luther. Retinitis Pigmentosa. 2019.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- e11 Downloaded: 0 times