Study of Violent Asphyxial Death
International Journal of Medical Toxicology and Forensic Medicine,
Vol. 3 No. 2(Spring) (2013),
10 Khordad 2013
Background:An increasing death rate as a result of violence constitutes a large group in medico-legal autopsies especially deaths due to asphyxia are one of the most important cause in violent deaths.
Method: It was a prospective study of all medico-legal autopsies performed between December 2008 and November 2010 at mortuary of Civil Hospital affiliated with B.J.Medical College, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. Out of the total autopsies conducted at the Mortuary of Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad, those where the victim died as a result of violent mechanical interference with respiration like hanging, strangulation, and drowning were included.
Results and Conclusion:Incidence of violent asphyxia deaths is 5.63% of total autopsies. Hanging (82.48%) is the most commonly encountered violent asphyxia death. Males are most common victims with male:female ratio 1.69:1. Most commonly involved age group is 21-30 years (128 cases forming 32.99% of total) with 200 victims (51.54%) aged 21-40 years. 312 out of 320 cases (97.5%) of hanging were suicidal and rest 8 (2.5%) were accidental in nature. Homicidal hanging is not recorded in present study. All 12 strangulation cases were of homicide, 32 out of 56 (57.14%) cases of drowning were accidental and remaining 24 (42.86%) were suicidal.
How to Cite
Avis S P. Homicide in Newfoundland: A Nine year review. Journal of Forensic Sciences. 1996;41(1):101-105.
Azmak D. Asphyxial deaths: A retrospective study and review of the literature. American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology.2006;27(2):134-44.
Betz P, Eisenmenger W. Frequency of Throat-Skeleton Fracture in hanging. American journal of forensic medicine & pathology 1996;17(3):191-93.
Franklin CA: Modi's text book of Medical Jurisprudence and Toxicology, 21st edition, N.M. TripathiPrivate Limited Bombay. 1988;188-220.
Gargi J, Gorea R K, Chanana A, Mann G. Violent asphyxial deaths. Journal of Indian Academy of Forensic Medicine. 1992;12(4):171-176.
Modi J P. Medical Jurisprudence and Toxicology, edited by K Mathiharan and Amrit K Patnaik, LexixNexis publishers, new delhi, 23rd edition 2008;565-614.
Mukherjee J B : Forensic Medicine and toxicology, edited by Karmakar RN, Academic publishers Kolkata, 3rd edition 2007;571-651.
Naik S K. A study of fracture of hyoid bone in cases of asphyxial deaths resulting from constricting force around neck. Journal of Indian Academy of Forensic Medicine. 2005;27(3):149-153.
Nandi A. Principles of forensic medicine, New central book agency Ltd. 2nd edition. 2007;315-343.
Nikolic S, Micic J, Antanasijevic T, Djokic V, and Djonic D. Analysis of neck injuries in hanging. American journal of forensic medicine & pathology. 2003;24(2):179-182.
Parikh C K. Textbook of Medical Jurisprudence, Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, CBS publishers New Delhi 6th edition 2002;3.33-3.40.
Reddy K S N: The essential of forensic medicine and toxicology, K.Sugunadevi, 28th edition 2009; 299-333.
Reutor F. -Fracture of hyoid bone is 60% in typical hanging and 30% in atypical hanging. Ztsch.Heitk. 1901; 22:112-145.
Sarangi M P. “Ligature marks” – in Forensic Pathologist’s Perspective. Journal Of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology. 1998;15(1):99-102.
Sharma B R. A study of ligature mark on neck: how informative? Journal of Indian Academy of Forensic Medicine. 2005;27(1):10-15.
Simonsen J. Pathoanatomic finding in neck structures in asphyxiation due to hanging: a survey of 80 cases. Forensic Sci. Int. 1988; 38:83-91.
Singh Amandeep. A study of demographic variables of violent asphyxial death : Journal of Punjab Academy of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology. 2003;3:32-34.
Singh Gambhir O. A study of violent mechanical asphyxial deaths in homicide; Journal of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology. 2008;25(2):34-35.
Smith, Sir Sydney and Fiddes F S. Fracture of hyoid bone is practically never occur in hanging. forensic medicine, 10th edition 1995. 252. London.Churchill.
Vijaynath V, Anitha MR, Rajan K. A study of autopsy profile in cases of hanging. Journal of Forensic Medicine and Toicology. 2009;26(1):34-36.
Weintraub C M. Fracture of hyoid bone is seen in 27% cases of hanging. Med-leg.J 1961. (Camb); 21: 209-216.
- Abstract Viewed: 2465 times
- PDF Downloaded: 5173 times