Iron Status and Febrile Seizure- A Case Control Study in Children Less Than 3 Years
Iranian Journal of Child Neurology,
Vol. 6 No. 4 (2012),
2 January 2013
How to cite this article: Sadeghzadeh M, Khoshnevis P, Mahboubi E. Iron Status and Febrile Seizure- A Case Control Study in Children Less Than 3 Years. Iran J Child Neurol Autumn 2012; 6(4):27-31.
Febrile seizure is one of the most common neurological conditions of childhood. Several theories, such as iron deficiency anemia have been proposed as the pathogenesis of this condition. The aim of this study was to find the association between iron deficiency anemia and febrile seizures in children aged 6 months to 3 years admitted in Valie Asr hospital in Zanjan.
Hemoglobin (Hb), mean corpuscular volume (MCV), serum iron (SI), total iron binding capacity (TIBC) and SI/TIBC ratio were assessed in one hundred children with febrile seizures and compared to the values of one hundred healthy children presenting in a heath care center in the same period as the control group.
A total of 6% of cases had iron deficiency anemia which was similar to the control group. In the case group SI/TIBC ratio below 12% was seen in 58% of children which was significantly higher than that of the control group (29%).
The results of this study suggest that although anemia was not common among febrile seizure patients, iron deficiency was more frequent in these patients.
- Bidabadi E, Mashouf M.. Association between iron deficiency anemia and first febrile convulsion: A case-control study. Seizure. 2009 Jan;18(5):347-51.
- Sadeghzadeh M, Khoshnevisasl P, Moussavinassab N, Koosha A, Norouzi M. The Relation Between Serum Zinc Level and Febrile Seizures in Children Admitted to Zanjan Valie-Asr Hospital. J Zanjan Uni Med Sci. 2011;19(74):17-24.
- Kumari PL, Nair MK, Nair SM, Kailas L, Geetha S. Iron deficiency as a risk factor for simple febrile seizures-a case control study. Indian Pediatr. 2012 Jan;49(1):17-9.
- Pisacane A, Sansone R, Impagliazzo N, Coppola A, Rolando P, D'Apuzzo A, Tregrossi C. Iron deficiency anaemia and febrile convulsions: case-control study in children under 2 years. BMJ. 1996 Aug;313(7053):343.
- Yadav D, Chandra J. Iron deficiency: beyond anemia. Indian J Pediatr. 2011 Jan;78(1):65-72.
- Sherjil A, us Saeed Z, Shehzad S, Amjad R. Iron deficiency anaemia-a risk factor for febrile seizures in children. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2010 Jul-Sep;22(3):71-3.
- Erikson KM, Jones BC, Hess EJ, Zhang Q, Beard JL. Iron deficiency decreases dopamine D1 and D2 receptors in rat brain. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2001 Jul-Aug;69(3-4):409-18.
- Beard JL, Chen Q, Connor J, Jones BC. Altered monoamine metabolism in caudate-putamen of iron-deficient rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1994 Jul;48(3):621-4.
- Chen Q, Beard JL, Jones BC. Abnormal rat brain monoamine metabolism in iron deficiency anemia. J Nutr Biochem. 1995;6(9):486-93.
- Youdim MB, Ben-Shachar D, Yehuda S. Putative biological mechanisms of the effect of iron deficiency on brain biochemistry and behavior. Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 Sep;50(3 Suppl):607-15.
- Felt BT, Beard JL, Schallert T, Shao J, Aldridge JW, Connor JR et al. Persistent
- 12. neurochemical and behavioral abnormalities in adulthood despite early iron supplementation for perinatal iron deficiency anemia in rats. Brain Behav Res. 2006 Aug;171(2):261-70.
- Beard JL, Felt B, Schallert T, Burhans M, Connor JR, Georgieff MK. Moderate iron deficiency in infancy: biology and behavior in young rats. Behav Brain Res. 2006 Jun 30;170(2):224-32.
- Beard JL, Connor JR. Iron status and neural functioning. Ann Rev Nutr. 2003;23:41-58.
- Johnston MV. Iron deficiency, febrile seizures and brain development. Indian Pediatr. 2012;49(16):13-4.
- Lozoff B, Georgieff MK. Iron deficiency and brain development. Semin Pediatr Neurol. 2006 Sep;13(3):158-65.
- Idro R, Gwer S, Williams TN, Otieno T, Uyoga S, Fegan G et al. Iron deficiency and acute seizures: results from children living in rural Kenya and a meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2010 Nov 16;5(11):e14001
- Salehi Omran MR, Tamaddoni A, Nasehi MM, Babazadeh H, Alizadeh navaei R. Iron status in febrile seizure: a case-control study. Iran J Child Neurol. 2009;3(3):39-42
- Momen AA, Hakimzadeh M. Case-control study of the relationship between anemia and febrile convulsion in children between 9 months to 5 years of age. Sci Med J Ahwaz Uni Med Sci. 2003;1(4):54-50.
- 19. Stoltzfus RJ, Mullany L, Black RE(2004). Iron deficiency anaemia. In: Ezzati M, Lopez AD, Rodgers A, et al. editors. Comparative quantification of health risks: global and regional burden of disease attributable to selected major risk factors. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2004. p. 163-209.
- Brotanek JM, Halterman JS, Auinger P, Flores G, Weitzman M. Iron deficiency, prolonged bottle-feeding, and racial/ethnic disparities in young children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005 Nov;159(11):1038-42.
- Hartfield DS, Tan J, Yager JY, Rosychuk RJ, Spady D, Haines C et al. The association between iron deficiency and febrile seizures in childhood. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2009 May;48(4):420-6.
- Daoud AS, Batieha A, Abu-Ekteish F, Gharaibeh N, Ajlouni S, Hijazi S. Iron status: a possible risk factor for the first febrile seizure. Epilepsia. 2002 Jul;43(7):740-3.
- Naveed-ur-Rehman, Billoo AG. Association between iron deficiency anemia and febrile seizures. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2005 Jun;15(6):338-40.
- Vaswani RK, Dharaskar PG, Kulkarni S, Ghosh K. Iron deficiency as a risk factor for first febrile seizure. Indian Pediatr. 2010 May;47(5):437-9.
- Ozaydin E, Arhan E, Cetinkaya B, Ozdel S, Değerliyurt A, Güven A et al. Differences in iron deficiency anemia and mean platelet volume between children with simple and complex febrile seizures. Seizure. 2012 Apr;21(3):211-4.
- Abdurrahman KN, Al-atrushi AM. The association between iron deficiency anemia and first febrile seizure: a case-control study. Duhok Med J. 2010;4(1):60-6.
- Amirsalari S, Keihani doust ZT, Ahmadi M, Sabouri A, Kavemanesh Z, Afsharpeyman SH et al. Relationship between iron deficiency anemia and febrile seizures. Iran J Child Neurol. 2010;4(1):27-30.
- Kobrinsky NL, Yager JY, Cheang MS, Yatscoff RW, Tenenbein M. Does iron deficiency raise the seizure threshold? J Child Neurol. 1995 Mar;10(2):105-9.
- Abbaskhanian A,Vahidshahi k, Parvinnejad N. The association between iron deficiency and the first episode of febrile seizure. J Babol Uni Med Sci.2009;11(3):32-6.
- Iron deficiency
- Abstract Viewed: 564 times
- PDF Downloaded: 164 times