Clinical and Para clinical Manifestations of Tuberous Sclerosis: A Cross Sectional Study on 81 Pediatric Patients
Iranian Journal of Child Neurology,
Vol. 6 No. 3 (2012),
24 July 2012
How to Cite this Article: Tonekaboni SH, Tousi P, Ebrahimi A, Ahmadabadi F, keyhanidoust Z, Zamani Gh, Rezvani M, Amirsalari S, Tavassoli A, Rounagh A, Rezayi A. Clinical and Para clinical Manifestations of Tuberous Sclerosis: A Cross Sectional Study on 81 Pediatric Patients. Iran J Child Neurol 2012; 6(3): 25-31.
Migraine is a disabling illness that causes absence from school andaffects the quality of life. It has been stated that headache may representan epileptic event. EEG abnormality is a prominent finding in childrenwith migraine. The aim of this study was to evaluate EEG abnormalitiesin children with migraine.
Materials & Methods
Two-hundred twenty-eight children were enrolled into the study.Evaluation and following of cases was performed by one physician,paraclinical tests were used to increase the accuracy. The study wasconducted under the supervision of pediatric neurology masters and theselected cases were from different parts of the country.
Comparing EEG abnormalities in different types of migraine revealedthat there is an association between them. There was also a significantdifference between EEG abnormalities in different types of aura. Migrainetype was associated with the patient’s age. Sleep disorders were morecommon in patients with a positive family history of seizure.
Our study dosclosed migraine as a common problem in children withabnormalities present in approximately 20% of the patients. Migraineand abnormal EEG findings are significantly associated.
- Bundey S, Evans K. Tuberous sclerosis: a genetic study. J Neurol Neurosurg. Psychiatry 1969 Dec;32(6):591-603.
- Staley BA, Vail EA, Thiele EA. Tuberous sclerosis complex: diagnostic challenges, presenting symptoms,and commonly missed signs. Pediatrics 2011 Jan;127(1):e117-25.
- Thiele EA, Korf BR. Phakomatoses and allied conditions.In: Swaiman KF, Ashwal S, Ferriero DM. Swaimans pediatric neurology. 5th ed. China: Elsevier Saunders;2012. p. 504-9.
- Lendvay TS, Marshall FF. The tuberous sclerosis complex and its highly variable manifestations. J Urol2003 May;169(5):1635-42.
- Curatolo P, Jóźwiak S, Nabbout R; on behalf of the participants of the TSC Consensus Meeting for SEGA and Epilepsy Management. Management of epilepsy associated with tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC):Clinical recommendations. Eur J Paediatr Neurol 2012Jun;16(1):83-5.
- Jansen FE, Van Huffelen AC, Van Rijen PC, LeijtenFS,Jennekens-Schinkel A, Gosselaar P et al. Epilepsy surgeryin tuberous sclerosis: the Dutch experience. Seizure 2007Jul;16(5):445-53.
- Turgut M, Akalan N, Ozgen T, Ruacan S, Erbengi A. Subepandymal giant cell astrocytoma associated with tuberous sclerosis: diagnostic and surgical characteristics of five cases with unusual features. Clin Neurol Neurosurg1996 Aug;98(3):217-21.
- Coppola G, Klepper J, Ammendola E, Fiorillo M, dellaCorte, Capano G. The effects of the ketogenic diet in refractory partial seizures with reference to tuberous sclerosis. Eur J Pediatr Neurol 2006 May;10(3):148-51.
- Jozwia S, Kotulska K, Domanska-Pakiela D, LojszczykB, Syczewska M et al. Antiepileptic treatment before the onset of seizure reduces epilepsy severity and risk of mental retardation in infants with tuberous sclerosis complex. Eur J Paediatr Neurol 2011 Sep;15(5):424-31.
- Konishi Y, Ito M, Okuno T, Hojo H, Okuda R, Nakano Yet al. Tuberous sclerosis: early neurologic manifestations and CT features in 18 patients. Brain Dev 1979;1(1):31-7.
- Gerard G, Weisberg L. Tuberous sclerosis: CT findings and differential diagnosis. Comput Radiol 1987 Jul-Aug;11(4):189-92.
- Pompili G, Zirpoli S, Sala C, Flor N, Alfano RM, Volpi A et al. Magnetic resonance imaging of renal involvementin genetically studied patients with tuberous sclerosis complex. Eur J Radiol 2009 Nov;72(2):335-41.
- Fleury P, de Groot Wp, Delleman JW, Verbeeten B Jr,Frankenmolen-Witkiezwicz IM. Tuberous sclerosis: theincidence of sporadic cases versus familial cases. BrainDev 1980;2(2):107-17.
- Saadat M, Ansari-Lari M, Farhud DD. Consanguineous marriage in Iran. Ann Hum Biol 2004 Mar-Apr;31(2):263-9.
- Roach ES, Sparagana SP. Diagnosis of tuberous sclerosis complex. J Child Neurol 2004 Sep;19(9):643-9.
How to Cite
- Abstract Viewed: 583 times