Are there neurological symptoms in the type 1of Gaucher disease?
Iranian Journal of Child Neurology,
Vol. 12 No. 2 (2018),
14 March 2018
Gaucher disease is the most common of the inborn error of metabolic disorder that known as lipid storage disorders. This disorder is caused by a deficiency of the enzyme glucocerebrosidase. .There for , glucocerebroside accumulate in multiple organs. Symptoms may begin at any age ( in early life until the adulthood )and include skeletal disorders, organomegally , and cytopenia. Gaucher disease is classified into three types. type 1 is the most common form and named non neuropatic form . Type 2 is named acute infantile neuropathic form,because severe neurological symptoms are apparent by 3 months of age. Type 3 is named chronic neuropathic form. Videlicet,this disorder is classified on the presence or absence of neurological symptoms .
Material and methods
In this study , We assesed neurological symptoms in our GD1patients and compared them with GD3 patients.
Three patients with GD3 and eight patients with GD1 entered in this study.
We found in this study that patients with GD1 had neurological problems including: Cognitive impairment,developmental disability ,behavioral disorder, microcephaly ,increased DTR,too.
Though,some symptoms including :seizure,supranuclear gaze palsy, cerebellar sign and ataxia only excist in GD3 patients .
In previous studies has mentioned that distinction between type 1 and 3 is by neurological symptoms but we found some neurological signs are seen in Type 1,too. Although, the neurological symptoms are most severe in type 3 and some symtoms only detected in GD3 . So, generally neurological symptoms alone can not differentiate the types of gauche disease.
- neurological symptom
- gauche type 1
- gauche type 3
How to Cite
-Silvia Linari ,Giancarlo Castaman ,Clinical manifestations and management of Gaucher disease, Clin Cases Miner Bone Metab,. 2015 May-Aug; 12(2): 157–164, Published online 2015 Oct 26. doi: 10.11138/ccmbm/2015.12.2.157 ,PMCID: PMC4625773
-, Ni-Chung Lee, Siew-Lee Wong, Yin-Hsiu Chien, Jiunn-Ming Sheen, Fuu-Jen Tsai, Shinn-Forng Peng, Outcome of early-treated type III Gaucher disease patientsBlood Cells, Molecules and Diseases journal homepage: www.elsevier.com/locate/bcmddoi:10.1016/j.bcmd.2014.05.007
- C. Scriver, A. Beaudet, W. Sly, D. Valle , , E. Beutler, G. Grabowski ,The Metabolic and Molecular Bases of Inherited Diseases Gaucher disease McGraw-Hill, New York (1995), pp. 2641–2670
- N.J. Weinreb, J. Charrow, H.C. Andersson, et al. Effectiveness of enzyme replacement therapy in 1028 patients with type 1 Gaucher disease after 2 to 5 years of treatment: a report from the Gaucher Registry Am. J. Med., 113 (2002), pp. 112–119
Charrow J, Andersson HC, Kaplan P, et al. The Gaucher Registry: demographics
and disease characteristics of 1698 patients with Gaucher
disease. Arch Internal Med. 2000;160:1754-1760.
Mistry PK, Sirrs S, Chan A, et al. Pulmonary hypertension in type 1
Gaucher’s disease: genetic and epigenetic determinants of phenotype
and response to therapy. Mol Genet Metab. 2002; 77:91-98.
Beutler E, Grabowsky GA. Gaucher Disease. In: The Metabolic and Molecular
Bases of Inherited Disease, 2001 Vol II (Ed. By Scriver CR, Sly
WS, Childs B, Beaudet AL, Valle D, Kinzler KW, Vogelstein B): 3635-
McGraw-Hill Inc., Columbus, USA.
- Annalisa Sechi , , Laura Deroma, Andrea Dardis, Giovanni Ciana, Nicole Bertin, Daniela Concolino, Silvia Linari, Long term effects of enzyme replacement therapy in an Italian cohort of type 3 Gaucher patients, Molecular Genetics and Metabolism 113 (2014) 213–218
-J Neurol. Strupp M, Kremmyda O, Adamczyk C, Böttcher N, Muth C, Yip CW, Bremova T Central ocular motor disorders, including gaze palsy and nystagmus 2014 Sep;261 Suppl 2:S542-58. doi: 10.1007/s00415-014-7385-9.
- B. Ukley , A. Bachhuber , W. Hermann, Zerebelläres Syndrom bei Morbus Gaucher, Der Nervenarzt ,Briefe An Die Herausgeber, October 2009, 80:1216 ,First online: 11 July 2009
- Mary L. Zupanc ,Progressive myoclonic epilepsy,The Cerebellum ,Scientific Papers ,December 2004, Volume 3, Issue 3, pp 156-171
-Alisdair McNeill, Raquel Duran, Christos Proukakis, Jose Bras, Derralyn Hughes, Atuhl Mehta, Hyposmia and Cognitive Impairment in Gaucher Disease Patients and Carriers
Movement Disorder. PMC 2014 Oct 7. 2012 Apr; 27(4): 526–532. Published online 2012 Feb 16. doi: 10.1002/mds.24945
-Silvia Linari,Giancarlo Castaman,Clinical manifestations and management
of Gaucher disease Clin Cases Miner Bone Metab. 2015 May-Aug; 12(2): 157–164. Published online 2015 Oct 26. doi: 10.11138/ccmbm/2015.12.2.157
- Abstract Viewed: 194 times