Acute Necrotizing Encephalopathy of Childhood (ANEC): A Case Report
Iranian Journal of Child Neurology,
Vol. 11 No. 1 (2017),
1 January 2017
How to Cite This Article: Hassanzadeh Rad A, Aminzadeh V. Acute Necrotizing Encephalopathy of Childhood (ANEC): A Case Report. Iran
J Child Neurol. Winter 2017; 11(1):75-77.
Acute Necrotizing Encephalopathy of childhood (ANEC) is a specific type of encephalopathy. After viral infection, it can be diagnosed by bilateral symmetrical lesions predominantly observed in thalami & brainstem of infants & children.
Although, it is commonly occurred in Japanese and Taiwanese population. The goal of this article is to report a rare case of ANEC in a 15 months old girl infant from Thaleghani Hospital, Ramian, Gorgan, northern Iran.
1. Mizuguchi M, Mizuguchi M, Abe J, et al. Acute necrotising encephalopathy of childhood: a new syndrome presenting with multifocal, symmetric brain lesions. J Neurol, Neurosurg Psychiatr 1995;58(5):555-561.
2. Mizuguchi M. Acute necrotizing encephalopathy of childhood: a novel form of acute encephalopathy prevalent in Japan & Taiwan. Brain Dev 1997;19:81-82.
3. Narra R, Mandapalli A, Kamaraju SK. Acute Necrotizing Encephalopathy in an Adult. J Clin Imag Sci 2015;5:20. doi:10.4103/2156-7514.156117.
4. Kim JH1, Kim IO, Lim MK, et al. Acute necrotizing encephalopathy in Korean infants and children: imaging findings and diverse clinical outcome. Korean J Radiol 2004 Jul-Sep;5(3):171-7.
5. Salehiomran MR, Nooreddini H, Baghdadi F. Acute Necrotizing Encephalopathy of Childhood; A Case Report. Iran J Child Neurol 2013;7(2):51-54.
6. Protheroe SM ,Mellor DH. Imaging in influenza A encephalitis. Arch Dis Child 1991;66:702-705.
7. Barkovich AJ. Infections of the nervous system. Pediatic neuroimaging 3rd ed. Philadelphia:Lippincoot Williams &Wilkins, 2000:744-746.
8. Kumar S1, Misra UK, Kalita J, et al. MRI in Japanese encephalitis.Neuroradiology 1997:39:180-184.
9. Abe T1, Kojima K, Shoji H, et al. Japanese encephalitis. J MRI 1998;8:755-761.
10. Fenichel G. Clinical pediatric neurology; 4th ed. 2002:54.
- Brain Stem
How to Cite
- Abstract Viewed: 492 times