Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2E Due to a Novel Large Deletion in SGCB Gene
Iranian Journal of Child Neurology,
Vol. 11 No. 3 (2017),
3 July 2017
How to Cite This Article: Ghafouri-Fard S, Hashemi-Gorji F, Fardaei M, Miryounesi M. Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2E Due to a Novel Large Deletion in SGCB Gene. Iran J Child Neurol. Summer 2017; 11(3):57-60.
Autosomal recessive limb-girdle muscular dystrophies (LGMD type 2) are a group of clinically and genetically heterogeneous diseases with the main characteristics of weakness and wasting of the pelvic and shoulder girdle muscles. Among them are sarcoglycanopathies caused by mutations in at least four genes named SGCA, SGCB, SGCG and SGCD. Here we report a consanguineous Iranian family with two children affected with LGMD type 2E.
Mutation analysis revealed a novel homozygous exon 2 deletion of SGCB gene in the patients with the parents being heterozygous for this deletion. This result presents a novel underlying genetic mechanism for LGMD type 2E.
1. Lo HP, Cooper ST, Evesson FJ, Seto JT, Chiotis M, Tay V et al. Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy: diagnostic evaluation, frequency and clues to pathogenesis. Neuromuscul Disord 2008;18(1):34-44.
2. Bushby KM, Beckmann JS. The 105th ENMC sponsored workshop: pathogenesis in the non-sarcoglycan limbgirdle muscular dystrophies, Naarden, April 12-14, 2002. Neuromuscul Disord 2003;13(1):80-90.
3. Zatz M, de Paula F, Starling A, Vainzof M. The 10 autosomal recessive limb-girdle muscular dystrophies. Neuromuscul Disord 2003;13(7-8):532-44.
4. Araishi K, Sasaoka T, Imamura M, Noguchi S, Hama H, Wakabayashi E et al. Loss of the sarcoglycan complex and sarcospan leads to muscular dystrophy in beta-sarcoglycan-deficient mice. Hum Mol Genet 1999;8(9):1589-98.
5. Pegoraro E, Hoffman EP. Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy overview. GeneReviews® [Internet]. Seattle (WA): University of Washington, Seattle; 1993-2017. 2012.
6. Straub V, Bushby K. The childhood limb-girdle muscular dystrophies. Semin Pediatr Neurol 2006;13(2):104-14.
7. Kaindl AM, Jakubiczka S, Lucke T, Bartsch O, Weis J, Stoltenburg-Didinger G, et al. Homozygous microdeletion of chromosome 4q11-q12 causes severe limb-girdle muscular dystrophy type 2E with joint hyperlaxity and contractures. Hum Mut 2005;26(3):279- 80.
8. Trabelsi M, Kavian N, Daoud F, Commere V, Deburgrave N, Beugnet C et al. Revised spectrum of mutations in sarcoglycanopathies. European journal of human genetics. Europ J Hum Gene 2008;16(7):793- 803.
9. Rivas E, Teijeira S, dos Santos MR, Porrit I, Leturcq F, Fernandez JM et al. Beta-sarcoglycanopathy (LGMD 2E) in a Spanish family. Acta Myol 2004;23(3):159-62.
10. Barresi R, Di Blasi C, Negri T, Brugnoni R, Vitali A, Felisari G et al. Disruption of heart sarcoglycan complex and severe cardiomyopathy caused by beta sarcoglycan mutations. J Med Gene 2000;37(2):102-7.
- Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy
How to Cite
- Abstract Viewed: 585 times