The Iranian Endodontic Journal welcomes articles related to the scientific or applied aspects of endodontics e.g. original articles, systematic reviews, meta-analyses, review articles, clinical trials, case series/reports, brief reports letters to the editor, etc.
Manuscripts should be sent through the online submission system: http://journals.sbmu.ac.ir/iej/login
Assignment of Authorship Responsibilities
Your article will not be published unless you warrant that “This article is an original work, has not been published before, and is not being considered for publication elsewhere in its final form either in printed or electronic form”.
A cover letter, containing the information outlined below must be sent to the editor:
1) The material has not been published previously and is not under consideration by another journal and is the work of the author(s).
2) The manuscript title, name and address (including e-mail) of the corresponding author and her/his signature. This author will be responsible for editing proofs and ordering reprints where applicable.
3) The author undersigned transfer, assign or otherwise convey all copyright ownership to the IAE in the event that such work is published in that Journal.
4) If the purpose of a paper is to evaluate a commercial product, then a separate statement must be included with the submission, which asserts that the product was used exactly according to manufacturers’ instructions. If this was not the case, a precise description of any variant use must be prominently stated in the abstract, methods and, if appropriate, in the title.
Conflict of interest
At submission, the authors must disclose any financial association that might pose a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted article in the title page.
Review of manuscripts
Manuscripts submitted to IEJ which do not adhere to the “Instructions for Authors” will be returned for appropriate revision to be in line with the instructions for authors. They may then be resubmitted. All manuscript correctly submitted to IEJ will first be reviewed by the Editor. Then through a double-blind peer review, the articles will be reviewed.
Preparation of manuscripts
The submission file must be prepared in Microsoft Word document file format (insert an EndNote citation into the manuscript). Submissions should be double-spaced word-processing files (.doc). The font should be times new roman. The top, bottom and side margins should be 30 mm. All pages should be numbered consecutively in the top right-hand corner, beginning with the title page. Numbers under10 should be spelt out, except for unit measurement age, or lists with other numbers (10 boxes)
The manuscripts must have the following sections:
Title page) Should be arranged as follows:
1) Title, which must be concise, descriptive, as short as possible without loss of clarity and without abbreviations
2) Full name of each author. The author list must conform to authorship criteria in the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals at www.icmje.org
3) Affiliations of all authors
4) Running title (no more than 40 characters).
5) Name, full postal address, telephone, fax number and e-mail address of author responsible for correspondence. Corresponding author will be responsible for proofreading. Also highlight the contribution of each author in the cover letter.
Note: The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
6) Acknowledgements may contain all contributors who do not meet the criteria for authorship e.g. editing help and departmental head who provided general support. Financial support must also be acknowledged and any conflict of interest noted.
Abstract) Should include:
1) Title of manuscript
2) A summary of the complete manuscript containing introduction, methods and materials, results and conclusion. It must be factual and comprehensive. Write the abstract in past tense because the study has been completed.
3) The abstract should not be more than 300 words
4) A maximum of five key words or phrases (based on MeSH and in alphabetical order) should be included at the end of the abstract.
Article Body) The submitted manuscript should contain:
1) Introduction should provide the reader with enough information to understand the objectives of the study.
2) Material and Methods should describe the detail of the study design, methods, materials/instrument/techniques used, and statistical methods. Ethical considerations should be mentioned here.
3) Results must describe the experimental findings of the study clearly.
4) Figures should be submitted as either a TIFF or JPEG file. Line art must have a resolution of at least 300 dpi (dots per inch). All scanned images including electronic photographs/radiographs, CT scans, etc., must have a resolution of at least 300 dpi. If fonts are used in the artwork, they must be converted to paths or outlines, or they must be embedded in the files. All figure legends should be typed on a separate page. Keep text in figure captions to a minimum but explain all abbreviation used
5) Tables are applicable when it is critical to present exact numeric values. Tables with its legend must be typed on a separate page at the end of the manuscript.
6) Discussion should focus on the findings in your current work and compare the results with other previous studies.
7) Conclusions should describe and summarize the major finding(s) of the study.
8) References should be numbered in the sequence in which they appear in the text by Arabic numerals. The references style (based on Vancouver style) can be learned from reading the past issues of IEJ. Write all references with ENDNOTE.
Types of Manuscripts
Original articles: Should contain a structured abstract, related keywords, introduction, materials and methods, results, discussion, conclusion, acknowledgement (if applicable), references, maximum 4 tables and 4 figures. The length should not exceed 3500 words excluding the references, abstract, figures and tables. These articles are limited to 40 references.
Consort randomized clinical trials (RCT): The format is similar to original articles. Must strictly adhere to the Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trials (CONSORT) minimum guidelines for publication of randomized clinical trials (http://www.consort-statement.org). RCTs should be registered in appropriate trial registries approved by the WHO and their registration number should be mentioned in the title page.
Brief reports: Should contain a non-structured abstract, 3-5 keywords, introduction, materials and methods, results, discussion, conclusion, acknowledgement (if applicable), references, maximum 2 tables and figures. However, the word count should not exceed 2000 words. 10-15 references should be stated.
Case series/reports: Should contain a non-structured abstract, 3-5 keywords, introduction, case presentation, discussion, conclusion, acknowledgement (if applicable), references, maximum 1 table and maximum 3 figures. Case reports should optimally be accompanied by relevant figures to document findings. These articles are limited to 20 references.
Review articles/Narrative reviews: There are no limits in the number of references for review articles. Abstract should be non-structured. The word count should not exceed 4500 words. Narrative reviews should contain the critical assessment of the current knowledge of the field.
Systematic reviews/meta-analysis of RCTs or Observational studies will be accepted by the journal. The protocol of the study should adhere to PRISMA or MOOSE guidelines of systematic reviews of RCTs or Observational studies, respectively. Abstract should be structured. There are no limits in the number of references for these articles.
Letters to the Editor should be less than 750 words. Letters discussing articles published in the IEJ should be submitted at most within 4 months after the publication of the main article. Letter will undergo peer review and will be edited for clarity. Up to 5 references may be stated.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission’s compliance with all of the following items; submissions may be returned to authors if do not adhere to these guidelines.
1- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration
2- The submission file is in Microsoft Word
3- Where appropriate, URLs for the references are provided
4- The text is double-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses).
5- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines. It is of particular importance that references are formatted as ENDNOTES.
6- The submission includes author name(s), affiliations, and contact information.
7) Research involving human subjects must have been performed in accordance with the “Declaration of Helsinki” and must have been approved by an appropriate ethics committee. A statement detailing this, including the name of the ethics committee and the reference number where appropriate, must appear in all manuscripts reporting such research.
Language and Style
Contributions should be in either American or British English. The text must be clear and concise, conforming to accepted standards of English style and usage. Non-native English speakers are advised to seek professional help with the language. Abbreviations should be standard and used just in necessary cases, after complete explanations in the first usage. Follow internationally accepted rules and conventions: use the international system of units (SI). If other units are mentioned, please give their equivalent in SI.
The editorial office reserves the right to edit the submitted manuscripts in order to comply with the Journal’s style. In any case, the authors are responsible for the published material.
All manuscript selected for publication will be reviewed for the appropriateness and accuracy of the statistical methods used and the interpretation of statistical results. All papers submitted should provide in their “Materials and Methods” section a subsection detailing the statistical methods, including the specific method used to summarize the data, the methods used to test their hypothesis testing and (if any) the level of significance used for hypothesis testing.
Authors should sign a copyright form stating that the article is an original work, has not been published before and is not being considered for publication elsewhere in its final form either in printed or electronic form. The same research must not be published in more than one journal.
Page proofs will be sent to the corresponding author. Please provide an e-mail address to enable page proofs to be sent as PDF files via e-mail. These should be checked thoroughly for any possible changes or typographic errors. Significant alterations instigated at this stage by the author will be charged to the author. It is the intention of the Editor to review, correct and publish your article as quickly as possible. To achieve this it is important that all of corrections are returned to editorial office in one all-inclusive email. Subsequent additional corrections will not be possible, so please ensure that your first communication is complete.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public to support a greater global exchange of knowledge.
This journal charges the following author fees which is used for publication, editing process, pagination and indexing.
Article Publication: 450.00 (USD). جهت نویسندگان عضو انجمن اندودانتیستهای ایران 600 هزار تومان
If this paper is accepted for publication, subsequently you will be asked to pay an “Article Publication Fee” to cover the costs.
Fast-Track Review: 250.00 (USD). With the payment of this fee, the review, editorial decision, and author notification on the manuscript is guaranteed to take place within 4 weeks.
Note: obviously, publishing fees or waiver status should not influence editorial decision making.
Author fees as well as ICER support the IEJ.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of IEJ and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
For further information, please contact the Editorial Office:
Tel: +98-21 26802920