The Effect of Long Service Life on the Accuracy of Dentaport ZX Electronic Apex Locator
Iranian Endodontic Journal,
Vol. 17 No. 4 (2022),
Introduction: Electronic apex locators are among the most acceptable instruments for determining root canal length. The present study aimed to evaluate the effect of long service life on the accuracy of the Dentaport Root ZX (DP ZX) electronic apex locator (EAL). Materials and Methods: In this study, fifty single-rooted freshly extracted human teeth were used. After determining the root canal length with a K-file and a dental operative microscope, the canals were measured with four separate DP ZX apex locators (two with more than 6 years of life service while two others had less than 6 years of life service). Data were analyzed by repeated ANOVA measurement. Results: No significant difference was found between the EALs with different years of life services (P=0.62). All EALs could determine root canal length with high accuracy of more than 94%. Conclusion: Based on the results of this in vitro study, the long service life had no significant impact on the accuracy of DP ZX EALs in terms of root canal length determination.
- Apex Locator; Apical Foramen; Endodontics; Root Canal Preparation; Root Canal Therapy
How to Cite
1. Ng YL, Mann V, Rahbaran S, Lewsey J, Gulabivala KJIej. Outcome of primary root canal treatment: systematic review of the literature–Part 2. Influence of clinical factors. International endodontic journal. 2008;41(1):6-31.
2. Nekoofar M, Ghandi M, Hayes S, Dummer PJIej. The fundamental operating principles of electronic root canal length measurement devices. 2006;39(8):595-609.
3. Kim YJ, Chandler NJIej. Determination of working length for teeth with wide or immature apices: a review. International endodontic journal. 2013;46(6):483-91.
4. de Morais ALG, de Alencar AHG, de Araújo Estrela CR, Decurcio DA, Estrela CJIej. Working length determination using cone-beam computed tomography, periapical radiography and electronic apex locator in teeth with apical periodontitis: a clinical study. Iranian endodontic journal. 2016;11(3):164.
5. Segato AVK, Piasecki L, Nuñovero MFI, da Silva Neto UX, Westphalen VPD, Gambarini G, et al. The accuracy of a new cone-beam computed tomographic software in the preoperative working length determination ex vivo. Journal of endodontics. 2018;44(6):1024-9.
6. Martins JN, Marques D, Mata A, Caramês JJJoe. Clinical efficacy of electronic apex locators: systematic review. Journal of endodontics. 2014;40(6):759-77.
7. Tsesis I, Blazer T, Ben-Izhack G, Taschieri S, Del Fabbro M, Corbella S, et al. The precision of electronic apex locators in working length determination: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature. Journal of endodontics. 2015;41(11):1818-23.
8. Aminoshariae A, Su A, Kulild JC. Determination of the location of the mental foramen: a critical review. Journal of endodontics. 2014;40(4):471-5.
9. Khandewal D, Ballal NV, Saraswathi MVJJoe. Comparative evaluation of accuracy of 2 electronic apex locators with conventional radiography: an ex vivo study. Journal of endodontics. 2015;41(2):201-4.
10. Piasecki L, dos Reis PJ, Jussiani EI, Andrello ACJJoe. A Micro–computed Tomographic Evaluation of the Accuracy of 3 Electronic Apex Locators in Curved Canals of Mandibular Molars. Journal of endodontics. 2018;44(12):1872-7.
11. Connert T, Judenhofer M, Hülber‐J M, Schell S, Mannheim J, Pichler B, et al. Evaluation of the accuracy of nine electronic apex locators by using Micro‐CT. International endodontic journal. 2018;51(2):223-32.
12. Tufenkci P, Kalaycı A. Evaluation of the accuracy of different apex locators in determining the working length during root canal retreatment. Journal of dental research, dental clinics, dental prospects. 2020;14(2):125-9.
13. Yolagiden M, Ersahan S, Suyun G, Bilgec E, Aydin C. Comparison of Four Electronic Apex Locators in Detecting Working Length: An Ex Vivo Study. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2018;19(12):1427-33.
14. Duran‐Sindreu F, Gomes S, Stöber E, Mercadé M, Jané L, Roig MJIej. In vivo evaluation of the iPex and Root ZX electronic apex locators using various irrigants. International endodontic journal. 2013;46(8):769-74.
15. Çınar F, Üstün Y. Ex Vivo Evaluation of the Accuracy of 3 Electronic Apex Locators in Different Environments: A Micro-Computed Tomography Study. European endodontic journal. 2020;5(3):226-30.
16. Chukka RR, Bellam MD, Marukala NR, Dinapadu S, Konda NK, Nagilla J. Efficiency of an Integrated Apex Locator in Determining Working Length in Various Irrigating Solutions: An In Vivo Study. Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences. 2020;12(Suppl 1):S410-s4.
17. Marek E, Łagocka R, Kot K, Woźniak K, Lipski M. The influence of two forms of chlorhexidine on the accuracy of contemporary electronic apex locators. BMC oral health. 2019;20(1):3.
18. Altunbaş D, Kuştarcı A, Toyoğlu MJJoe. The influence of various irrigants on the accuracy of 2 electronic apex locators in locating simulated root perforations. Journal of endodontics. 2017;43(3):439-42.
19. Saatchi M, Iravani S, Khaleghi MA, Mortaheb AJIej. Influence of root canal curvature on the accuracy of root ZX electronic foramen locator: An in vitro study. Iranian endodontic journal. 2017;12(2):173.
20. Chaudhary S, Gharti A, Adhikari BJC, cosmetic, dentistry i. An in vivo comparison of accuracy of two electronic apex locators in determining working length using stainless steel and nickel titanium files. Clinical, cosmetic
21. Orosco FA, da Silva GF, Weckwerth PH, Lopes MTM, Garcia AM, Duarte MAH, et al. Influence of different sized files on the accuracy of two electronic apex locators. Australian Endodontic Journal. 2018;44(3):251-4.
22. Saatchi M, Rahimi I, Khademi A, Farhad AR, Nekoofar MH, Dummer PMJAOS. Influence of tooth length on the accuracy of the Root ZX electronic apical foramen locator: an ex vivo study. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica. 2015;73(2):101-6.
23. Jafarzadeh H, Beyrami M, Forghani MJIej. Evaluation of conventional radiography and an electronic apex locator in determining the working length in C-shaped canals. Iranian endodontic journal. 2017;12(1):60.
24. Abdelsalam N, Hashem N. Impact of Apical Patency on Accuracy of Electronic Apex Locators: In Vitro Study. J Endod. 2020;46(4):509-14.
25. Parirokh M, Manochehrifar H, Abbott PV, Borna R, Haghdoost AAJIEJ. Effect of Various Electronic Devices on the Performance of Electronic Apex Locator. 2019;14(4):278-82.
26. Duran-Sindreu F, Stöber E, Mercadé M, Vera J, Garcia M, Bueno R, et al. Comparison of in vivo and in vitro readings when testing the accuracy of the Root ZX apex locator. Journal of endodontics. 2012;38(2):236-9.
27. Cianconi L, Angotti V, Felici R, Conte G, Mancini MJJoe. Accuracy of three electronic apex locators compared with digital radiography: an ex vivo study. Journal of endodontics. 2010;36(12):2003-7.
28. Piasecki L, Carneiro E, da Silva Neto UX, Westphalen VPD, Brandão CG, Gambarini G, et al. The use of micro–computed tomography to determine the accuracy of 2 electronic apex locators and anatomic variations affecting their precision. Journal of endodontics. 2016;42(8):1263-7.
29. Stöber EK, de Ribot J, Mercadé M, Vera J, Bueno R, Roig M, et al. Evaluation of the Raypex 5 and the Mini Apex Locator: an in vivo study. Journal of endodontics. 2011;37(10):1349-52.
30. Yılmaz F, Kamburoğlu K, Şenel BJJoe. Endodontic working length measurement using cone-beam computed tomographic images obtained at different voxel sizes and field of views, periapical radiography, and apex locator: a comparative ex vivo study. Journal of endodontics. 2017;43(1):152-6.
31. Wrbas K, Ziegler A, Altenburger M, Schirrmeister JJIej. In vivo comparison of working length determination with two electronic apex locators. International endodontic journal. 2007;40(2):133-8.
32. Pommer O, Stamm O, Attin TJJoe. Influence of the canal contents on the electrical assisted determination of the length of root canals. Journal of endodontics. 2002;28(2):83-5.
33. Bilaiya S, Patni PM, Jain P, Pandey SH, Raghuwanshi S, Bagulkar B. Comparative Evaluation of Accuracy of Ipex, Root Zx Mini, and Epex Pro Apex Locators in Teeth with Artificially Created Root Perforations in Presence of Various Intracanal Irrigants. European endodontic journal. 2020;5(1):6-9.
34. Jadhav GR, Mittal P, Patil V, Kandekar P, Kulkarni A, Shinde S, et al. Accuracy of Different Apex Locators in Teeth with Simulated Apical Root Resorption: an In Vitro Study. Folia medica. 2018;60(4):624-31.
35. Briseño-Marroquín B, Frajlich S, Goldberg F, Willershausen BJJoe. Influence of instrument size on the accuracy of different apex locators: an in vitro study. Journal of endodontics. 2008;34(6):698-702.
36. Dinapadu S, Pasari S, Admala SR, Marukala NR, Gurram S, Peddi RJTjocdp. Accuracy of electronic apex locator in enlarged root canals with different root canal irrigants: an in vitro study. The journal of contemporary dental practice. 2013;14(4):649.
37. Bolbolian M, Golchin S, Faegh S. In vitro Evaluation of the Accuracy of the Root Zx in the Presence of Naocl 2.5% and Chlorhexidine 0.2. Journal of clinical and experimental dentistry. 2018;10(11):e1054-e7.
38. Markvart M, Fransson H, EndoReCo, Bjørndal LJAOS. Ten-year follow-up on adoption of endodontic technology and clinical guidelines amongst Danish general dental practitioners. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica. 2018;76(7):515-9.
- Abstract Viewed: 113 times
- PDF Downloaded: 68 times