Regenerative Endodontics Success Factors and their Overall Effectiveness: An Umbrella Review
Iranian Endodontic Journal,
Vol. 17 No. 3 (2022),
20 July 2022
Introduction: Regenerative endodontics is a developing field of dentistry and aims to recover the physiological and anatomical functions of the tooth for cases of severe dental caries, pulpal pathologies and dental trauma. Materials and Methods: This umbrella review seeks to discover the scientific evidence on the effectiveness and the factors result in successful regenerative endodontic therapies in teeth with necrotic pulps and with incomplete root development. The study was conducted following the PRISMA Guidelines. There were no restrictions regarding search period. A comprehensive literature search was carried out in EMBASE, LILACS, PubMed, Cochrane, Scopus, and Google Scholar. A quality evaluation was conducted by using AMSTAR-2. A descriptive analysis of the included systematic reviews and meta-analysis were conducted. Results: Thirteen descriptive systematic reviews and 7 meta-analyses were included. Three articles evidenced low methodological quality according to AMSTAR-2 tool. Overall success rates for the endodontic regeneration procedures ranged from 50% to 98% and the survival rates were between 94% and 100%. Pulp regeneration had a high success rate, evidenced by factors such as the resolution of symptoms, healing, increased root length, dentin thickening and recovery of sensitivity. Follow-up varied from 1 to 48 months for the original studies included in the systematic reviews and meta-analyses. Conclusions: Endodontic practice offers the clinician a good treatment option in case of necrotic pulp with immature roots such as the endodontic regeneration, that is supported by high and moderate quality scientific literature.
- Apexification; Regenerative Endodontics; Root Canal Therapy; Systematic Review; Umbrella Review
How to Cite
2. Trope M. Regenerative potential of dental pulp. J Endod. 2008;34(7 Suppl):S13-7.
3. Burczynska A, Struzycka I, Dziewit L, Wroblewska M. Periapical abscess - etiology, pathogenesis and epidemiology. Przegl Epidemiol. 2017;71(3):417-28.
4. Cymerman JJ, Nosrat A. Regenerative Endodontic Treatment as a Biologically Based Approach for Non-Surgical Retreatment of Immature Teeth. J Endod. 2020;46(1):44-50.
5. Shah N, Logani A, Bhaskar U, Aggarwal V. Efficacy of revascularization to induce apexification/apexogensis in infected, nonvital, immature teeth: a pilot clinical study. J Endod. 2008;34(8):919-25; Discussion 1157.
6. Vidal K, Martin G, Lozano O, Salas M, Trigueros J, Aguilar G. Apical Closure in Apexification: A Review and Case Report of Apexification Treatment of an Immature Permanent Tooth with Biodentine. J Endod. 2016;42(5):730-4.
7. Lin JC, Lu JX, Zeng Q, Zhao W, Li WQ, Ling JQ. Comparison of mineral trioxide aggregate and calcium hydroxide for apexification of immature permanent teeth: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Formos Med Assoc. 2016;115(7):523-30.
8. Morales Martínez D, Covo Morales E, Díaz Caballero A. Efectos adversos en el periápice relacionados con el uso del mineral trióxido agregado en apexificación: revisión sistemática. [Relationship between adverse effects on the peri apex with the use of mineral trioxide aggregate on apexification, systematic review]. Av Odontoestomatol. 2014;30(2):95-8.
9. Araújo PRDS, Silva LB, Neto APDS, Almeida De Arruda JA, Álvares PR, Sobral APV, et al. Pulp Revascularization: A Literature Review. Open Dent J. 2017;10(1):48-56.
10. Kahler B, Lin LM. A review of regenerative endodontics: current protocols and future directions. J Istanb Univ Fac Dent. 2017;51(3 Suppl 1):S41-S51.
11. Shamszadeh S, Asgary S, Nosrat A. Regenerative Endodontics: A Scientometric and Bibliometric Analysis. J Endod. 2019;45(3):272-80.
12. Duncan HF, Kobayashi Y, Shimizu E. Growth Factors and Cell Homing in Dental Tissue Regeneration. Curr Oral Health Rep. 2018;5(4):276-85.
13. Hashemi-Beni B, Khoroushi M, Foroughi MR, Karbasi S, Khademi AA. Tissue engineering: Dentin - pulp complex regeneration approaches (A review). Tissue Cell. 2017;49(5):552-64.
14. Kawashima N, Okiji T. Odontoblasts: Specialized hard-tissue-forming cells in the dentin-pulp complex. Congenit Anom (Kyoto). 2016;56(4):144-53.
15. Kim SG, Malek M, Sigurdsson A, Lin LM, Kahler B. Regenerative endodontics: a comprehensive review. Int Endod J. 2018;51(12):1367-88.
16. Peng C, Zhao Y, Wang W, Yang Y, Qin M, Ge L. Histologic Findings of a Human Immature Revascularized/Regenerated Tooth with Symptomatic Irreversible Pulpitis. J Endod. 2017;43(6):905-9.
17. Digka A, Sakka D, Lyroudia K. Histological assessment of human regenerative endodontic procedures (REP) of immature permanent teeth with necrotic pulp/apical periodontitis: A systematic review. Aust Endod J. 2020;46(1):140-53.
18. Martins LF, Costa RO, Pedro JR, Aguiar P, Serra SC, Teixeira FG, et al. Mesenchymal stem cells secretome-induced axonal outgrowth is mediated by BDNF. Sci Rep. 2017;7(1).
19. Abou Neel EA, Chrzanowski W, Salih VM, Kim H-W, Knowles JC. Tissue engineering in dentistry. J Dent. 2014;42(8):915-28.
20. Shi X, Mao J, Liu Y. Pulp stem cells derived from human permanent and deciduous teeth: Biological characteristics and therapeutic applications. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2020;9(4):445-64.
21. Orti V, Collart-Dutilleul PY, Piglionico S, Pall O, Cuisinier F, Panayotov I. Pulp Regeneration Concepts for Nonvital Teeth: From Tissue Engineering to Clinical Approaches. Tissue Eng Part B Rev. 2018;24(6):419-42.
22. Diogenes A, Ruparel NB, Shiloah Y, Hargreaves KM. Regenerative endodontics: A way forward. J Am Dent Assoc. 2016;147(5):372-80.
23. Ahmad P, Dummer PMH, Noorani TY, Asif JA. The top 50 most‐cited articles published in the International Endodontic Journal. Int Endod J. 2019;52(6):803-18.
24. Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG, Group P. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. Int J Surg. 2010;8(5):336-41.
25. Aromataris E, Fernandez R, Godfrey CM, Holly C, Khalil H, Tungpunkom P. Summarizing systematic reviews: methodological development, conduct and reporting of an umbrella review approach. Int J Evid Based Healthc. 2015;13(3):132-40.
26. Higgins JP, Thomas J. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. 6a ed: Wiley Online Library; 2019.
27. Centre for Reviews and Dissemination (CRD)- University of York. CDR Database [Available from: https://www.york.ac.uk/crd/.
28. Shea BJ, Reeves BC, Wells G, Thuku M, Hamel C, Moran J, et al. AMSTAR 2: a critical appraisal tool for systematic reviews that include randomised or non-randomised studies of healthcare interventions, or both. BMJ. 2017;358:j4008.
29. Pramila R, Muthu M. Regeneration potential of pulp-dentin complex: Systematic review. J Conserv Dent. 2012;15(2):97-103.
30. Kontakiotis EG, Filippatos CG, Agrafioti A. Levels of evidence for the outcome of regenerative endodontic therapy. J Endod. 2014;40(8):1045-53.
31. Antunes LS, Salles AG, Gomes CC, Andrade TB, Delmindo MP, Antunes LA. The effectiveness of pulp revascularization in root formation of necrotic immature permanent teeth: A systematic review. Acta Odontol Scand. 2016;74(3):161-9.
32. Conde MC, Chisini LA, Demarco FF, Nor JE, Casagrande L, Tarquinio SB. Stem cell-based pulp tissue engineering: variables enrolled in translation from the bench to the bedside, a systematic review of literature. Int Endod J. 2016;49(6):543-50.
33. Lolato A, Bucchi C, Taschieri S, Kabbaney AE, Fabbro MD. Platelet concentrates for revitalization of immature necrotic teeth: a systematic review of the clinical studies. Platelets. 2016;27(5):383-92.
34. Meschi N, Castro AB, Vandamme K, Quirynen M, Lambrechts P. The impact of autologous platelet concentrates on endodontic healing: a systematic review. Platelets. 2016;27(7):613-33.
35. Ragab RA, Abellatif AE, Eldokky NA. Regeneration of Necrotic ImmatureTeeth: Systematic Review. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016;9(40):1-15.
36. Bucchi C, Valdivia-Gandur I, Sánchez-Bizjak R, Tallón-Walton V, Manzanares-Céspedes C. Regenerative endodontic therapy: a systematic review of clinical protocols. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2017;10(3):2006-15.
37. Duggal M, Tong HJ, Al-Ansary M, Twati W, Day PF, Nazzal H. Interventions for the endodontic management of non-vital traumatised immature permanent anterior teeth in children and adolescents: a systematic review of the evidence and guidelines of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2017;18(3):139-51.
38. Kahler B, Rossi-Fedele G, Chugal N, Lin LM. An Evidence-based Review of the Efficacy of Treatment Approaches for Immature Permanent Teeth with Pulp Necrosis. J Endod. 2017;43(7):1052-7.
39. Nicoloso GF, Potter IG, Rocha RO, Montagner F, Casagrande L. A comparative evaluation of endodontic treatments for immature necrotic permanent teeth based on clinical and radiographic outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2017;27(3):217-27.
40. Tong HJ, Rajan S, Bhujel N, Kang J, Duggal M, Nazzal H. Regenerative Endodontic Therapy in the Management of Nonvital Immature Permanent Teeth: A Systematic Review-Outcome Evaluation and Meta-analysis. J Endod. 2017;43(9):1453-64.
41. Torabinejad M, Nosrat A, Verma P, Udochukwu O. Regenerative Endodontic Treatment or Mineral Trioxide Aggregate Apical Plug in Teeth with Necrotic Pulps and Open Apices: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. J Endod. 2017;43(11):1806-20.
42. Chisini LA, Grazioli G, Francia A, San Martin AS, Demarco FF, Conde MCM. Revascularization versus apical barrier technique with mineral trioxide aggregate plug: A systematic review. Giornale italiano di endodonzia. 2018;32(1):9-16.
43. Metlerska J, Fagogeni I, Nowicka A. Efficacy of Autologous Platelet Concentrates in Regenerative Endodontic Treatment: A Systematic Review of Human Studies. J Endod. 2019;45(1):20-30 e1.
44. Murray PE. Platelet-Rich Plasma and Platelet-Rich Fibrin Can Induce Apical Closure More Frequently Than Blood-Clot Revascularization for the Regeneration of Immature Permanent Teeth: A Meta-Analysis of Clinical Efficacy. Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2018;6(139).
45. do Couto AM, Espaladori MC, Leite APP, Martins CC, de Aguiar MCF, Abreu LG. A Systematic Review of Pulp Revascularization Using a Triple Antibiotic Paste. Pediatr Dent. 2019;41(5):341-53.
46. Nicoloso GF, Goldenfum GM, Pizzol T, Scarparo RK, Montagner F, de Almeida Rodrigues J, et al. Pulp Revascularization or Apexification for the Treatment of Immature Necrotic Permanent Teeth: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2019;43(5):305-13.
47. Rossi-Fedele G, Kahler B, Venkateshbabu N. Limited Evidence Suggests Benefits of Single Visit Revascularization Endodontic Procedures - A Systematic Review. Braz Dent J. 2019;30(6):527-35.
48. Koc S, Del Fabbro M. Does the Etiology of Pulp Necrosis Affect Regenerative Endodontic Treatment Outcomes? A Systematic Review and Meta-analyses. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2020;20(1):101400.
49. Stang A. Critical evaluation of the Newcastle-Ottawa scale for the assessment of the quality of nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses. Eur J Epidemiol. 2010;25(9):603-5.
50. Barends E, Rousseau DM, B BR. CEBMa Guideline for Critically Appraised Topics in Management and Organizations. Amsterdam: The Center for Evidence-Based Management; 2017.
51. Setzer FC, Kim S. Comparison of Long-term Survival of Implants and Endodontically Treated Teeth. J Dent Res. 2014;93(1):19-26.
52. Feigin K, Shope B. Regenerative Endodontics. J Vet Dent. 2017;34(3):161-78.
53. Guerrero F, Mendoza A, Ribas D, Aspiazu K. Apexification: A systematic review. J Conserv Dent. 2018;21(5):462-5.
54. Chen SJ, Chen LP. Radiographic outcome of necrotic immature teeth treated with two endodontic techniques: A retrospective analysis. Biomed J. 2016;39(5):366-71.
55. Rafter M. Apexification: a review. Dent Traumatol. 2005;21(1):1-8.
56. Torabinejad M, Parirokh M, Dummer PMH. Mineral trioxide aggregate and other bioactive endodontic cements: an updated overview - part II: other clinical applications and complications. Int Endod J. 2018;51(3):284-317.
57. Yamada Y, Nakamura-Yamada S, Kusano K, Baba S. Clinical Potential and Current Progress of Dental Pulp Stem Cells for Various Systemic Diseases in Regenerative Medicine: A Concise Review. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(5).
58. Saidi A, Naaman A, Zogheib C. Accuracy of Cone-beam Computed Tomography and Periapical Radiography in Endodontically Treated Teeth Evaluation: A Five-Year Retrospective Study. J Int Oral Health. 2015;7(3):15-9.
59. Campello AF, Gonçalves LS, Guedes FR, Marques FV. Cone-beam computed tomography versus digital periapical radiography in the detection of artificially created periapical lesions: A pilot study of the diagnostic accuracy of endodontists using both techniques. Imaging Sci Dent. 2017;47(1):25-31.
60. Maia Filho EM, Calisto AM, De Jesus Tavarez RR, de Castro Rizzi C, Bezerra Segato RA, Bezerra da Silva LA. Correlation between the Periapical Index and Lesion Volume in Cone-beam Computed Tomography Images. Iran Endod J. 2018;13(2):155-8.
61. Alobaid AS, Cortes LM, Lo J, Nguyen TT, Albert J, Abu-Melha AS, et al. Radiographic and Clinical Outcomes of the Treatment of Immature Permanent Teeth by Revascularization or Apexification: A Pilot Retrospective Cohort Study. J Endod. 2014;40(8):1063-70.
62. Fuks AB, Nuni E. Pulp therapy for the young permanent dentition. Pediatric Dentistry: Elsevier; 2019. p. 482-96.
63. Lee L-W, Hsiao S-H, Chang C-C, Chen L-K. Duration for Apical Barrier Formation in Necrotic Immature Permanent Incisors Treated With Calcium Hydroxide Apexification Using Ultrasonic or Hand Filing. J Formos Med Assoc. 2010;109(8):596-602.
64. Silujjai J, Linsuwanont P. Treatment Outcomes of Apexification or Revascularization in Nonvital Immature Permanent Teeth: A Retrospective Study. J Endod. 2017;43(2):238-45.
65. Shah D, Lynd T, Ho D, Chen J, Vines J, Jung H-D, et al. Pulp–Dentin Tissue Healing Response: A Discussion of Current Biomedical Approaches. J Clin Med. 2020;9(2):434.
66. Nageh M, Ahmed GM, El-Baz AA. Assessment of Regaining Pulp Sensibility in Mature Necrotic Teeth Using a Modified Revascularization Technique with Platelet-rich Fibrin: A Clinical Study. J Endod. 2018;44(10):1526-33.
67. Meschi N, Hilkens P, Lambrichts I, Van den Eynde K, Mavridou A, Strijbos O, et al. Regenerative endodontic procedure of an infected immature permanent human tooth: an immunohistological study. Clin Oral Investig. 2016;20(4):807-14.
68. Roshene R. Regeneration of dental pulp-A review. J Pharm Sci. 2015;7(10):858-60.
69. Kahler B, Hu JY, Marriot-Smith C, Heithersay G. Splinting of teeth following trauma: a review and a new splinting recommendation. Aust Dent J. 2016;61(Suppl 1):59-73.
70. Kaur M. MTA versus Biodentine: Review of Literature with a Comparative Analysis. J Clin Diagn Res. 2017;11(8):ZG01-ZG5.
71. Solanki NP, Venkappa KK, Shah NC. Biocompatibility and sealing ability of mineral trioxide aggregate and biodentine as root-end filling material: A systematic review. J Conserv Dent. 2018;21(1):10-5.
72. Aly MM, Taha SEE, El Sayed MA, Youssef R, Omar HM. Clinical and radiographic evaluation of Biodentine and Mineral Trioxide Aggregate in revascularization of non-vital immature permanent anterior teeth (randomized clinical study). Int J Paediatr Dent. 2019;29(4):464-73.
73. Kahler B, Chugal N, Lin L. Alkaline Materials and Regenerative Endodontics: A Review. Materials (Basel). 2017;10(12):1389.
74. Bakhtiar H, Mazidi S A, Mohammadi Asl S, Ellini MR, Moshiri A, Nekoofar MH, et al. The role of stem cell therapy in regeneration of dentine-pulp complex: a systematic review. Prog Biomater. 2018;7(4):249-68.
75. Saoud T, Ricucci D, Lin L, Gaengler P. Regeneration and Repair in Endodontics—A Special Issue of the Regenerative Endodontics—A New Era in Clinical Endodontics. Dent J (Basel). 2016;4(1):3.
76. Fouad AF, Verma P. Healing after regenerative procedures with and without pulpal infection. J Endod. 2014;40(4 Suppl):S58-64.
77. Chand V, Joseph S, George J, John M, Anand S, Nair M. Regenerative Endodontics-Treatment options and challenges to success. Int J Oral Care Res. 2015;3(1):89-95.
78. Mukherjee P, Patel A, Chandak M, Kashikar R. Minimally Invasive Endodontics a Promising Future Concept: A Review Article. Int J Sci Stud. 2017;5(1):245-51.
- Abstract Viewed: 259 times
- PDF Downloaded: 185 times