Prognostic value of microRNA-125a/b family in patients with gastric cancer: A meta-analysis
Gastroenterology and Hepatology from Bed to Bench,
30 December 2021
Background: miR-125 family (including miR-125a, miR-125b) have been reported as pivotal prognostic biomarkers of gastric cancer (GC). However, there is controversy about the role of miR-125 family in progression prediction of GC.
Aim: We design this meta-analysis to reassess the prognostic and clinicopathologic values of microRNA-125 family in GC patients.
Methods: Studies were systemically searched from electronic databases of PubMed, ISI Web of Science, Scopus and Cochrane library. The overall hazard ratio (HR) and odds ratio (OR) with 95% confidence interval (CI) was calculated to evaluate the association between miR-125 family expression with prognosis and susceptibility to gastric cancer. The quality of evidence was evaluated using Newcastle-Ottava Scale (NOS).
Results: Totally 1203 GC patients in ten studies were analyzed in this meta-analysis. The results showed a high significant association between the ratio of low/high expression of miR-125a (HR= 1.7; 95% CI: 1.38 to 2.08; P< 0.001) and poor OS in patients with GC, while, this ratio for miR-125b (HR= 1.16; 95% CI: 0.71 to 1.89; P= 0.53) was not significant. Further, low miR-125 family expression was associated with clinicopathological features of liver metastasis (OR= 6.3; 95% CI: 1.1 to 36.3; P= 0.03). The sensitivity analysis shows that our results were completely powerful and stable. No potential publication bias was observed using Begg’s (P = 0.72) and Egger’s (P = 0.95) tests.
Conclusion: The low expression of miR-125 family predicts poor OS in GC patients. Thus, miR-125 family may be helpful as a potential biomarker for the prognosis of gastric cancer.
- Gastric cancer, Meta-analysis, miR-125 a, miR-125b, Prognosis
2. Dastmalchi N, Safaralizadeh R, Banan Khojasteh SM. The correlation between microRNAs and Helicobacter pylori in gastric cancer. Pathogens and disease. 2019;77(4):ftz039.
3. Torre LA, Bray F, Siegel RL, Ferlay J, Lortet‐Tieulent J, Jemal A. Global cancer statistics, 2012. CA: a cancer journal for clinicians. 2015;65(2):87-108.
4. Fenoglio-Preiser CM, Noffsinger AE, Belli J, Stemmermann G, editors. Pathologic and phenotypic features of gastric cancer. Seminars in oncology; 1996.
5. Silvera SAN, Mayne ST, Risch HA, Gammon MD, Vaughan T, Chow W-H, et al. Principal component analysis of dietary and lifestyle patterns in relation to risk of subtypes of esophageal and gastric cancer. Annals of epidemiology. 2011;21(7):543-50.
6. Docrat TF, Nagiah S, Krishnan A, Naidoo DB, Chuturgoon AA. Atorvastatin induces MicroRNA-145 expression in HEPG2 cells via regulation of the PI3K/AKT signalling pathway. Chemico-biological interactions. 2018;287:32-40.
7. Kanda M, Kodera Y. Recent advances in the molecular diagnostics of gastric cancer. World Journal of Gastroenterology: WJG. 2015;21(34):9838.
8. Müsri FY, Mutlu H, Karaağaç M, Eryilmaz MK, Gündüz Ş, Artaç M. Primary tumor resection and survival in patients with stage IV gastric cancer. Journal of gastric cancer. 2016;16(2):78-84.
9. Tokunaga M, Tanizawa Y, Bando E, Kawamura T, Terashima M. Poor survival rate in patients with postoperative intra-abdominal infectious complications following curative gastrectomy for gastric cancer. Annals of surgical oncology. 2013;20(5):1575-83.
10. Song M-y, Pan K-f, Su H-j, Zhang L, Ma J-l, Li J-y, et al. Identification of serum microRNAs as novel non-invasive biomarkers for early detection of gastric cancer. PloS one. 2012;7(3):e33608.
11. Brenner B, Hoshen MB, Purim O, David MB, Ashkenazi K, Marshak G, et al. MicroRNAs as a potential prognostic factor in gastric cancer. World journal of gastroenterology: WJG. 2011;17(35):3976.
12. Xiao C, Rajewsky K. MicroRNA control in the immune system: basic principles. Cell. 2009;136(1):26-36.
13. Alvarez-Garcia I, Miska EA. MicroRNA functions in animal development and human disease. Development. 2005;132(21):4653-62.
14. Ishimoto T, Baba H, Izumi D, Sugihara H, Kurashige J, Iwatsuki M, et al. Current perspectives toward the identification of key players in gastric cancer micro RNA dysregulation. International journal of cancer. 2016;138(6):1337-49.
15. Cimmino A, Calin GA, Fabbri M, Iorio MV, Ferracin M, Shimizu M, et al. miR-15 and miR-16 induce apoptosis by targeting BCL2. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2005;102(39):13944-9.
16. Pan H-W, Li S-C, Tsai K-W. MicroRNA dysregulation in gastric cancer. Current pharmaceutical design. 2013;19(7):1273-84.
17. Liu H-N, Wu H, Tseng Y-J, Chen Y-J, Zhang D-Y, Zhu L, et al. Serum microRNA signatures and metabolomics have high diagnostic value in gastric cancer. BMC cancer. 2018;18(1):415.
18. Bracken CP, Scott HS, Goodall GJ. A network-biology perspective of microRNA function and dysfunction in cancer. Nature Reviews Genetics. 2016;17(12):719-32.
19. Deng J, Lei W, Xiang X, Zhang L, Yu F, Chen J, et al. MicroRNA-506 inhibits gastric cancer proliferation and invasion by directly targeting Yap1. Tumor biology. 2015;36(9):6823-31.
20. Wu Z-H, Lin C, Liu C-C, Jiang W-W, Huang M-Z, Liu X, et al. MiR-616-3p promotes angiogenesis and EMT in gastric cancer via the PTEN/AKT/mTOR pathway. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 2018;501(4):1068-73.
21. Zhu F, Li H, Ding F, Guo H, Mou H, Ma J. MiR-422a in gastric cancer cells directly targets CDC40 and modulates cell proliferation. American journal of translational research. 2020;12(8):4693.
22. Zhang X, Nie Y, Li X, Wu G, Huang Q, Cao J, et al. MicroRNA-181a functions as an oncomir in gastric cancer by targeting the tumour suppressor gene ATM. Pathology & Oncology Research. 2014;20(2):381-9.
23. Sui M, Jiao A, Zhai H, Wang Y, Wang Y, Sun D, et al. Upregulation of miR-125b is associated with poor prognosis and trastuzumab resistance in HER2-positive gastric cancer. Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine. 2017;14(1):657-63.
24. Cai M, Chen Q, Shen J, Lv C, Cai L. Epigenetic silenced miR‐125a‐5p could be self‐activated through targeting Suv39H1 in gastric cancer. Journal of cellular and molecular medicine. 2018;22(10):4721-31.
25. Zhang Y, Guan D-H, Bi R-X, Xie J, Yang C-H, Jiang Y-H. Prognostic value of microRNAs in gastric cancer: a meta-analysis. Oncotarget. 2017;8(33):55489.
26. Hashiguchi Y, Nishida N, Mimori K, Sudo T, Tanaka F, Shibata K, et al. Down-regulation of miR-125a-3p in human gastric cancer and its clinicopathological significance. International journal of oncology. 2012;40(5):1477-82.
27. Dai J, Wang J, Yang L, Xiao Y, Ruan Q. miR-125a regulates angiogenesis of gastric cancer by targeting vascular endothelial growth factor A. International journal of oncology. 2015;47(5):1801-10.
28. Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG, Group P. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. PLoS med. 2009;6(7):e1000097.
29. Luchini C, Stubbs B, Solmi M, Veronese N. Assessing the quality of studies in meta-analyses: Advantages and limitations of the Newcastle Ottawa Scale. World Journal of Meta-Analysis. 2017;5(4):80-4.
30. Begg CB, Mazumdar M. Operating characteristics of a rank correlation test for publication bias. Biometrics. 1994:1088-101.
31. Egger M, Smith GD, Schneider M, Minder C. Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. Bmj. 1997;315(7109):629-34.
32. Borenstein M, Hedges L, Higgins J, Rothstein H. Comprehensive meta-analysis version 3. Englewood NJ: Biostat. Inc; 2005.
33. Nishida N, Mimori K, Fabbri M, Yokobori T, Sudo T, Tanaka F, et al. MicroRNA-125a-5p is an independent prognostic factor in gastric cancer and inhibits the proliferation of human gastric cancer cells in combination with trastuzumab. Clinical Cancer Research. 2011;17(9):2725-33.
34. Cao Y, Tan S, Tu Y, Zhang G, Liu Y, Li D, et al. MicroRNA‑125a‑5p inhibits invasion and metastasis of gastric cancer cells by targeting BRMS1 expression. Oncology letters. 2018;15(4):5119-30.
35. Li G, Ao S, Hou J, Lyu G. Low expression of miR‑125a‑5p is associated with poor prognosis in patients with gastric cancer. Oncology letters. 2019;18(2):1483-90.
36. Zhang J, Ding F, Jiao D, Li Q, Ma H. The Aberrant Expression of MicroRNA-125a-5p/IGF2BP3 Axis in Advanced Gastric Cancer and Its Clinical Relevance. Technology in cancer research & treatment. 2020;19:1533033820917332.
37. Wu J-G, Wang J-J, Jiang X, Lan J-P, He X-J, Wang H-J, et al. MiR-125b promotes cell migration and invasion by targeting PPP1CA-Rb signal pathways in gastric cancer, resulting in a poor prognosis. Gastric Cancer. 2015;18(4):729-39.
38. Wu S, Liu F, Xie L, Peng Y, Lv X, Zhu Y, et al. miR-125b suppresses proliferation and invasion by targeting MCL1 in gastric cancer. BioMed research international. 2015;2015.
39. Wang JK, Wang Z, Li G. MicroRNA-125 in immunity and cancer. Cancer letters. 2019;454:134-45.
40. Liang Z, Pan Q, Zhang Z, Huang C, Yan Z, Zhang Y, et al. MicroRNA‑125a‑5p controls the proliferation, apoptosis, migration and PTEN/MEK1/2/ERK1/2 signaling pathway in MCF‑7 breast cancer cells. Molecular medicine reports. 2019;20(5):4507-14.
41. Sun Y-M, Lin K-Y, Chen Y-Q. Diverse functions of miR-125 family in different cell contexts. Journal of hematology & oncology. 2013;6(1):6.
42. Zhang Y, Zhang D, Lv J, Wang S, Zhang Q. MiR-125a-5p suppresses bladder cancer progression through targeting FUT4. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2018;108:1039-47.
43. Qin X, Wan Y, Wang S, Xue M. MicroRNA-125a-5p modulates human cervical carcinoma proliferation and migration by targeting ABL2. Drug design, development and therapy. 2016;10:71.
44. Huang W-K, Akçakaya P, Gangaev A, Lee L, Zeljic K, Hajeri P, et al. miR-125a-5p regulation increases phosphorylation of FAK that contributes to imatinib resistance in gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Experimental cell research. 2018;371(1):287-96.
45. Pan Q, Liao X, Liu H, Wang Y, Chen Y, Zhao B, et al. MicroRNA-125a-5p alleviates the deleterious effects of ox-LDL on multiple functions of human brain microvessel endothelial cells. American Journal of Physiology-Cell Physiology. 2017.
46. Ye H, Zhu W, Mei L, Lu Z. Prognostic and clinicopathologic significance of MicroRNA-125a-5p in cancers: A meta-analysis. Medicine. 2019;98(31).
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times