Effectiveness of muscle relaxation exercises on decreasing stress, anxiety and depression in elderly people with type 2 diabetes in Isfahan marginal health centers in 2019
چکیدهAbstract Background and Aim: Diabetes is the most common metabolic and chronic diseases in elderly people. The most important complication in this group is psychological illness, including stress, anxiety and depression. Some nonpharmacological interventions, such as muscle relaxation exercises, may reduce these complications. The present study designed to determine the effect of muscle relaxation exercises on reducing stress, anxiety and depression in elderly people suffering type 2 diabetes. Materials and Methods: A randomized clinical trial was conducted as a pre-test and post-test with two groups of experimental and control in the marginal centers of Isfahan in 2019 through face-to-face interview. Totally, 94 elderly people aged ≥ 60 years old with type 2 diabetes and expressed their stress, anxiety and depression ranging from mild to moderate according to DASS-21 questionnaire, were enrolled and randomly divided into experimental and control groups. In the intervention group, relaxation exercises were performed twice a day at home for six weeks. The data obtained were analyzed using Stata 14 software and statistical test Chi square, ttest. All stages of the study were conducted according to moral standards. Results: The stress, anxiety, and depression score decreased in the intervention group in the post-test phase as compared to the control group. The results also showed that educational intervention had a significant effect on the three variables. Conclusion: Based on the results of this study, muscle relaxation training is recommended as an effective, convenient and low cost method to improve and prevent the psychological problems of the elderly people with type 2 diabetes. Keywords: Muscle relaxation exercises, Depression, Anxiety, Stress, Elderly people, Type 2 Diabetes
- Khodaveisi M, Faal Araghi Nejad A, Omidi A, Esmaili Vardanjani A, Tapak LJIJoA. Comparing the structural standards of nursing homes in Markazi Province, Iran with international standards. Iranian Journal of Ageing 2018; 13(3):362-71 (In Persian).
- WHO. Ageing and health; Available at: http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/ageing-and-health, Accessed Apr 25, 2019.
- Mirzaie M, Darabi S. Population aging in Iran and rising health care costs. Salmand: Iranian Journal of Ageing 2017; 12(2):156-69 (In Persian).
- Soleimaninejad A, Abolfathi Momtaz Y, Taheri Tanjani P. The relationship between gender and attitudes toward older adults among medical science students of Tehran City University %J Journal of North Khorasan University of Medical Sciences 2018; 10(3):21-28 (In Persian).
- Bastani F, Pourmohammadi A, Haghani H. Relationship between perceived stress with spiritual health among older adults with diabetes registered to the association of diabetes prevention and control in Babol, 2013. Hayat 2014; 20(3):6-18 (In Persian).
- Taheri Tanjani P, Moradinazar M, Esmail Mottlagh M, Najafi F. The prevalence of diabetes mellitus (DM) type II among Iranian elderly population and its association with other age-related diseases, 2012. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics 2015; 60(3):373-79.
- Hekmati pour N, Taheri N, Hojjati H, Rabiee S. Evaluation of the relationship between social support and quality of life in elderly patients with diabetes. Journal of Diabetes Nursing 2015; 3(1):42-50 (In Persian).
- Alirezaei Shahraki R, Sahaf R, Abolfathi Momtaz Y, Khosravi Samani N. Evaluation of fasting blood sugar and glycated hemoglobin in elderly diabetic patients before and after entering the nationwide program for prevention and control of diabetes in Isfahan. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Lipid Disorders 2018; 17(5):225-32 (In Persian).
- Schernthaner G, Schernthaner-Reiter MHJD. Diabetes in the older patient: heterogeneity requires individualisation of therapeutic strategies. Diabetologia 2018; 61(7):1503-16.
- Azadi A, Taghinezhad H, Bastami M, Bastami A. The study amount of anxiety and depression among elderly diabetic patients referred to Shahid Mostafa Khomeini in Ilam and Shohada Ashayer Hospitals in Khoramabad 2015. Iranian Journal of Nursing Research 2016; 11(3):1-9 (In Persian).
- Narimani M, Atadokht A, Ahadi B, Abolghasemi A, Zahed A. Effectiveness of stress management training on reduction of psychological symptoms and Zglycemic. Quarterly Journal of Health Psychology 2013; 1(3):19-29 (In Persian).
- Ghezeljeh TN, Kohandany M, Oskouei FH, Malek MJANR. The effect of progressive muscle relaxation on glycated hemoglobin and health-related quality of life in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Applied Nursing Research 2017; 33:142-48.
- Jacob MS, Sharma S. Efficacy of progressive muscular relaxation on coping strategies and management of stress, anxiety and depression. The International Journal of Indian Psychology 2018; 6(1). DOI: 10.25215/0601.013.
- Azizi M, Shahbazirad A, Saeidi M, Haghighi Km. The effectiveness of happiness training on reducing older women's stress. Journal of Aging Psychology 2015; 1(1):11-9 (In Persian).
- Azami M, Moslemirad M, Mansouri A, Khataee M, Sayehmiri K. The Prevalence of depression in patients with diabetes in Iran. Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences 2017; 19(4):16-27 (In Persian).
- Fung AC, Tse G, Cheng HL, Lau ES, Luk A, Ozaki R, et al. Depressive symptoms, co-morbidities, and glycemic control in Hong Kong Chinese elderly patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Frontiers in Endocrinology 2018; 9:261. DOI: 10.3389/fendo.2018.00261.
- Sharifirad Gh RL, Hamidizadeh S, Bahrami N, Rashidi Nooshabadi MR, Masoudi R. The effect of progressive muscle relaxation program on the depression anxiety, and stress of premenstrual syndrome in female students. Journal of Health System Research 2014: 9(14):1786-96 (In Persian).
- Hassanpour Dehkordi A, Rastar AA. Effect of progressive muscle relaxation on social performance and quality of life in aging. Salmand: Iranian Journal of Ageing 2016; 11(2):244-49 (In Persian).
- Karami j, Shalani b, mokari z. The effectiveness of relaxation training on depression, anxiety, and stress in infertile women. Rooyesh-e-Ravanshenasi 2018;6(4):241-56 (In Persian).
- Joakar B, Samani S. Reliability and validity of the short form of depression, anxiety and stress. Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities of Shiraz University 2008; 55:65-77 (In Persian).
- Sahebi A, Asghari MJ, Salari RS. Validation of depression anxiety and stress scale (DASS-21) for an Iranian population. Scientific Journal Management System 2005; 1(4):36-54 (In Persian).
- Hamidizade S, Ahmadi F, Asghari M. Study effect of relaxation technique on anxiety and stress in elders with hypertension. Journal of Shahrekord Uuniversity of Medical Sciences 2006; 8(2):45-51 (In Persian).
- Jafarzadeh FM, Tabarei Y, Mehdi MF, Azizi S. THE effect of progressive muscle relaxation on the depression in patients with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Sabzevar University of Medical Sciences 2018; 25(1):111-17 (In Persian).
- Ebrahem SM, Masry SE. Effect of relaxation therapy on depression, anxiety, stress and quality of life among diabetic patients. Clinical Nursing Studies 2017; 5(1):35-44.
- Li Y, Wang R, Tang J, Chen C, Tan L, Wu Z, et al. Progressive muscle relaxation improves anxiety and depression of pulmonary arterial hypertension patients. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2015;2015:792895. DOI: 10.1155/2015/792895.
- Ghafari S, Ahmadi F, Nabavi M, Memarian R. Effects of applying progressive muscle relaxation technique on depression, anxiety and stress of multiple sclerosis patients in Iran National MS Society. Research in Medicine 2008; 32(1):45-53 (In Persian).
- Adam D, Ramli A, Shahar S. Effectiveness of a combined dance and relaxation intervention on reducing anxiety and depression and improving quality of life among the cognitively impaired elderly. Sultan Qaboos University Medical Journal 2016; 16(1):e47. DOI: 10.18295/ squmj.2016.16.01.009.
- Klainin-Yobas P, Oo WN, Suzanne Yew PY, Lau Y. Effects of relaxation interventions on depression and anxiety among older adults: A systematic review. Aging & Mental Health 2015; 19(12):1043-55.
- Amini E, Goudarzi I, Masoudi R, Ahmadi A, Momeni A. Effect of progressive muscle relaxation and aerobic exercise on anxiety, sleep quality, and fatigue in patients with chronic renal failure undergoing hemodialysis. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 2016; 8(12):1634-39.
- Ikemata S, Momose Y. Effects of a progressive muscle relaxation intervention on dementia symptoms, activities of daily living, and immune function in group home residents with dementia in Japan. Japan Journal of Nursing Science 2017; 14(2):135-45.
- Mohammadi SY, Ahmadi S. Effectiveness of progressive relaxation and emotional regulation on quality of life of heart patients. The Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences 2018; 22(5):59-69 (In Persian).
- Mirzaei M, Daryafti H, Fallahzadeh H, Azizi B. Evaluation of depression, anxiety and stress in diabetic and non-diabetic patients. The Journal of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences 2016; 24(5):387-97 (In Persian).
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 159 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 71 بار