Organizational culture of selected teaching hospitals of Tehran
22 April 2018
چکیدهBackground: Organizational culture affects hospital performance. This study aimed to assess organizational culture of selected teaching hospitals of Tehran in 2014.
Material and methods: This descriptive and cross sectional study was carried out in 7 teaching hospitals. Hospitals were selected out of 43 teaching hospitals using quota- randomized sampling method. A questionnaire with 32 questions was used to measure organizational culture of hospitals in 8 domains including attention to details, customer-oriented, team working, creativity and innovation, risk taking,
integration (Coherence), power distance and short/long- oriented. About 308 employees working in clinical, diagnostic, administrative, and logistic departments participated in this study. Data were analyzed using SPSS software (version 20) through U Man- Whitney and Kruskal- Wallis statistical tests. Ethical issues
such as informed consent, confidentiality of information and researchers’ objectivity were all considered.
Results: The mean score of organizational culture was 3.57 out of 6 (moderate). The most and least scores were observed in attention to details (4.48) and risk taking (3.18) dimensions of organizational culture, respectively. The highest score of organizational culture was related to administrative units. Curative wards
in hospitals got the lowest scores. There was a significant relationship between organizational culture and the type of hospital (p<0.05).
Conclusion: The findings of this study indicate a moderate organizational culture in selected hospitals.Given the importance of corporate culture in the success of the hospitals and improving patient outcomes, hospital managers should take appropriate actions to improve organizational culture, especially in terms
of team-working, innovation, risk-taking and coherence.
- Schein EH. Organizational culture and leadership. New York: John Wiley & Sons 2010.
- Mosadeghrad AM. The impact of organizational culture on the successful implementation of total
quality management. The TQM Magazine 2006; 18(6):606-25.
- Mosadeghrad AM. Essentials of healthcare organization and management, Tehran: Dibagaran 2015 (In
- Hofstede G. Culture’s consequences: Comparing values, behaviors, institutions and organizations
across nations. California: SAGE Publications 2003.
- O’Reilly CA, Chatman J, Caldwell DF. People and organizational culture: A profile comparison approach
to assessing person-organization fit. Academy of Management Journal 1991; 34(3):487-16.
- Denison DR. Corporate culture and organizational effectiveness. New York: John Wiley & Sons 1990.
- Davies HT, Nutley SM, Mannion R. Organisational culture and quality of health care. Quality and
Safety in Health Care 2000; 9(2):111-19.
- Robbins S, Judge TA, Millett B, Boyle M. Organizational behaviour. UK: Pearson Higher Education
- Belias D, Koustelios A, Vairaktarakis G, Sdrolias L. Organizational culture and job satisfaction of
Greek banking institutions. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences 2015; 175:314-23.
- O’Reilly C. Corporations, culture, and commitment: Motivation and social control in organizations.
California Management Review 1989; 31(4):9-25.
- Kim Jean Lee S, Yu K. Corporate culture and organizational performance. Journal of Managerial
Psychology 2004; 19(4):340-59.
- Aktaş E, Çiçek I, Kıyak M. The effect of organizational culture on organizational efficiency: The
moderating role of organizational environment and CEO values. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Gregory BT, Harris SG, Armenakis AA, Shook CL. Organizational culture and effectiveness: A study
of values, attitudes, and organizational outcomes. Journal of Business Research 2009; 62(7):673-79.
- Schneider B, Hanges PJ, Smith DB, Salvaggio AN. Which comes first: employee attitudes or
organizational financial and market performance? Journal of Applied Psychology 2003; 88(5):836-51.
- Mosadeghrad AM. Quality of Working Life and Turnover Intentions: implications for nursing
management. International Journal of Research in Nursing 2013; 4(2):47-54.
- Mosadeghrad AM. Quality of working life: Antecedents to employee’s turnover intentions. International
Journal of Health Policy and Management 2013; 1(1):49-58.
- Tsai Y. Relationship between organizational culture, leadership behavior and job satisfaction. BMC
Health Services Research 2011; 11(1):98.
- Mosadeghrad AM. Strategic collaborative quality management and employee job satisfaction.
International Journal of Health Policy and Management 2014; 2(4):167-74.
- AbuAlRub RF, Nasrallah MA. Leadership behaviours, organizational culture and intention to stay
amongst Jordanian nurses. International Nursing Review 2017; 64(4): 520-27.
- Mosadeghrad AM. Occupational stress and turnover intention: Implications for nursing management.
International Journal of Health Policy and Management 2013; 1(2):169-79.
- Mosadeghrad AM. Essentials of Total Quality Management in Healthcare: A systematic review.
International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance 2014; 27(6):544-58.
- Mosadeghrad AM. Factors affecting medical service quality. Iranian Journal of Public Health 2014;
- Brown DS, Wolosin R. Safety culture relationships with hospital nursing sensitive metrics. Journal for
Healthcare Quality 2013; 35(4):61-74.
- Stock GN, McFadden KL, Gowen CR. Organizational culture, critical success factors, and the reduction
of hospital errors. International Journal of Production Economics 2007; 106(2):368-92.
- Meterko M, Mohr DC, Young GJ. Teamwork culture and patient satisfaction in hospitals. Medical care
- Mosadeghrad AM, Ashrafi E. The impact of quality management on patient satisfaction in a hospital:
brief report. Tehran University Medical Journal 2017; 75(3):228-34 (In Persian).
- Jacobs R, Mannion R, Davies HT, Harrison S, Konteh F, Walshe K. The relationship between
organizational culture and performance in acute hospitals. Social Science & Medicine 2013; 76:115-25.
- Mosadeghrad AM. Implementing strategic collaborative quality management in healthcare sector.
International Journal of Strategic Change Management 2012; 4(3-4):203-28.
- Hosseini S, Yarmohamadian M, Ajami S. The Relationship between organizational culture & staff
organizational maturity in Isfahan Medical University Hospitals. Journal of Hospital 2009; 8(2):37-44 (In
- Nasiripour AA, Mehrolhassani MH, Gorji HA. Correlation between organization’s culture and the
implication of six sigma in teaching hospitals affiliated with Kerman University of Medical Sciences
(KUMS). Journal of Health Administration 2008; 11(32):33-40 (In Persian).
- Tabibi SJ, Nasiripour AA, Valimoghaddam Zanjani S. Relationship between organizational culture and
knowledge management in Zanjan Teaching Hospitals. Journal of Zanjan University of Medical Sciences
& Health Services 2010; 17(69):84-91 (In Persian).
- Nasiripour A.A, Raeisi P, Hedayati P. The relationship between organizational cultures and employees
productivity. Journal of Health Administration 2009; 12(35):17-24 (In Persian).
- Maas CJ, Hox JJ. Sufficient sample sizes for multilevel modeling. Methodology 2005; 1(3):86-92.
- Mannion R. Measuring and assessing organisational culture in the NHS. USA: National Coordinating
Centre for the Service Delivery and Organisation 2007.
- Ahmadian Z, Ashghali-Farahani M, Bastani F, Haghani H. Perspectives of nurses on organizational
culture. Journal of School of Nursing and Midwifery (Hayat) 2012; 18(3):76-89 (In Persian).
- Jafarjalal E, Jafarpour H, Dehghan Nayeri N, Haghani H. Relationship between perceptions of
organizational culture with patients’ safety behaviour among nurses in Babol. Journal of School of Nursing
and Midwifery (Hayat) 2013; 19(3):5-16 (In Persian).
- Barati-Marnani A, Ghaderi A, Gohari M.R, Sadeghi A. A study on organizational culture at Hashemi-
Nezhad hospital. Journal of Health Administration 2010; 13(40):63-72 (In Persian).
- Darvish H, Kolivand PH, Kermani B. Relationship between organizational culture and the involvement
of employees in the Khatam Alanbia hospital. Shafaye Khatam 2014; 2(3):19-27 (In Persian).
- Vatankhah S, Gohari MR, Abdi J. Relationship between organizational culture and quality improvement
development in selective hospitals of Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Payesh 2010; 9(2):189-95
- Dargahi H, Eskandari M, Shaham G. A comparison of existing and desirable organizational culture of
Tehran University hospitals from hospital managers perspective. Payvard-e Salamat 2010; 4(1&2):72-87
- Mosadeghrad AM. Handbook of hospital professional organisation and management (2), Tehran:
Dibagran-e Tehran 2004 (In Persian).
- Mosadeghrad AM, Sokhanvar M. Organizational culture of selected hospitals of Tehran city. Journal
of Hospital 2017; 16(2):46-57 (In Persian).
- Schaufeli WB, Bakker AB. Job demands, job resources, and their relationship with burnout and
engagement: A multi-sample study. Journal of Organizational Behavior 2004; 25(3):293-15.
- Fekete H, Bocskei E. Cultural waves in company performance. Research Journal of Economics,
Business and ICT 2011; 3:38-42.
- Salari S, Pelivarzadeh M, Rafati F, Ghaderi M. Assessing the relationship between organizational
culture and job satisfaction among hospital staff. Journal of Nursing Management 2013; 2(3):43-51 (In
- Ortenblad A, Abrahamson Lofstrom C, Sheaff R. Management innovations for healthcare organizations:
adopt, abandon or adapt? Abingdon-on-Thames: Routledge 2016.
- Mosadeghrad AM. Principles of Health care management, Tehran: Dibagran-e Tehran 2003 (In
- Mirfakhroddini H, Farid D, Sayadi H. Using EFQM model in analysing organizational culture
dimensions of hospitals. Journal of Shahid Sdoughi University of Medical Sciences 2009; 17(2):163-75
- Mosadeghrad AM. & Saadati M. The Relationship between managers’ leadership style and employees’
creativity in Qazvin hospitals. Journal of Hospital 2016; 15(1):101-10 (In Persian).
- Mosadeghrad AM. Patient choice of a hospital: implications for health policy and management.
International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance 2014; 27(2):152-64.
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 89 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 36 بار