Assessment of puberty health behaviour and it’s affecting factors in female secondary school students in Khamir city during 2015-2016
1 January 2017
Background and Aims: Puberty in the most important evaluation during adolescence. This evolutionary change is referred to as a turning point of an adolescence. The present study was aimed to determine puberty heath behaviour and its affecting factor among girl students of khamir city at their first year of high-school in 2015 -2016.
Materials and methods: During this cross sectional study, totally 260 secondary school students were sampled in Khamir city. The sampling was done in full. The data were collected through questionnaires and statistical analysis was performed using SPSS 16 software through independent t-test, ANOVA and Pearson correlation coefficient.
Results: The mean and standard deviation of respondent’s age were 13.8 and 0.8 years, respectively. The first menstrual period (menarche) happened around an average (±standard deviation) age of 12.42 (±0.8).
About 65% of students were moderately aware about puberty health . Also, the majority of students (81.9%) produced a moderate performance in their adulthood. The results further showed a statistically significant relationship between knowledge and behavior of students with regard to adolescent health (P<0/001).
Conclusion: It seems that students’ performance in the first menstrual period was influenced by factors such as lack of proper awareness about menstrual hygiene. This study revealed that adolescent health behaviour of students was at the intermediate level. Thus the implementation of health education programs is suggested to modify the health behaviour of girls during puberty.
Keywords: Knowledge, pubertal health behavior, female students
For downloading the full text please click here.
- Makari H, Kheyrkhah M, Neisani L, Hoseini F. The impact of puberty health education on self concept of adolescents. Iranian Journal of Nursing Research 2013; 8(3):47-57 (In Persian).
- World Health Organization. Adolescents: health risks and solutions. UpdatedMay2014.
Availablefrom:http://w ww.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs345/en/. Accessed Nov 28, 2014.
- Organization of Management and Planning in Iran, Dargah Melli Amar. General numeration of population and house. [Online 2014[. Available from :www.amar.org.ir/portals/o/files/abstract/1390/n
- Edelman C, Mandle CL. Health promotion throughout the lifespan. St. Louis: Mosby; 1998.
- Ghergherehchi R, Shoaree N. Age of puberty and its relationship with body mass index in Iranian girls living in Tabriz. Medical Journal of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences 2011; 33(2):63-68 (In Persian).
- Jackson DB, Saunders RB. Child health nursing: A comprehensive approach to the care of children and their families. Philadelphia: Lippincott; 1993.
- McPherson ME, Korfine L. Menstruation across time: Menarche, menstrual attitudes, experiences, and
behaviors. Women’s Health Issues 2004; 14(6):193-200.
- Shah SP, Nair R, Shah PP, Modi DK, Desai SA, Desai L. Improving quality of life with new menstrual
hygiene practices among adolescent tribal girls in rural Gujarat, India. Reproductive Health Matters 2013;
- Houston AM, Abraham A, Huang Z, D’Angelo LJ. Knowledge, attitudes, and consequences of menstrual health in urban adolescent females. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology 2006; 19(4):271-75.
- Shahraki M, Mohammadi M, Akbarzade S, Karamiporzaree M. The menarche age of secondary school
girls in Zahedan. Zahedan Journal Of Research In Medical Sciences (Tabib-E-Shargh) 2003; 4(4):191-96
- Khakbazan ZAJ, F%A Mehran, A%A Damghanian, M. Effects of lecture presentation and presenting
educational packages on girls’ knowledge about adolescence health. Hayat 2008; 14(1):41-48 (In Persian).
- Ghahremani LAH, Alireza%A Babaie, Gholamreza%A Nazary, Mihan. Effects of puberty health
education on health behavior of secondary school girl students in Chabahar city. Iranian South Medical
Journal 2008; 11(1):61-68 (In Persian).
- Zare M, Jandghi J, Alammeh MR, Kolahdoz M, Asadi A. Effect of training regarding puberty on
knowledge, attitude and practice of 12-14 year old girls. Journal of Guilan University of Medical Sciences
; 14(56):18-26 (In Persian).
- Steinberg LD. Adolescence. 5th ed. Michigan: McGraw-Hill College 1999; P: 1-60.
- Saibaba A, Mohan Ram M, Ramana Rao G, Uma Devi ST. Nutritional status of adolescent girls of urban slums and the impact of IEC on their nutritional knowledge and practices. Indian Journal Community
Medicine 2002; 27(4):151-56.
- Ramezani Tehrani F, Mirmiran P, Gholami R, Moslehi N, Ghanbarian A, Azizi F. Correlation between menarcheal age and certain demographic characteristics. Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism
; 15(1):52-58 (In Persian).
- Thakre SB, Thakre SS, Reddy M, Rathi N, Pathak K, Ughade S. Menstrual hygiene: knowledge and practice among adolescent school girls of Saoner, Nagpur district. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic
Research 2011; 5(5):1027-33.
- Dabiri F, Abedini S, Shahi A, Kamjoo A. The effect of different methods of health education on knowledge, attitudes and practice of female students regarding menstrual hygiene in Bandar Abbas (2006).
Bimonthly Journal of Hormozgan University of Medical Sciences 2009; 12(4):271-79 (In Persian).
- Najafi F, Mozafari S, Mirzaee S. Assessment of 3rd grade junior school girl students’ knowledge and attitude toward puberty age sanitation. Journal of Guilan University of Medical Sciences 2012; 21(81):22-
- Tiwari H, Oza UN, Tiwari R. Knowledge, attitudes and beliefs about menarche of adolescent girls in Anand district, Gujarat. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2006; 12(3-4):428-33.
- Olfati F, Aligholi S. A study on educational needs of teenager girls regarding the reproductive health and determination of proper strategies in achieving the target goals in Qazvin. The Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences 2008; 12(2):76-82 (In Persian).
- Mazloomy Mahmoodabad S, Norouzi S, Norouzi A, Hajizadeh A, Zare A. Effect Of health belief model in adopting prevention and control of health behaviors during puberty high school students in Ardakan City. Toloo-E-Behdasht 2013; 12(38): 55-66 (In Persian).
- Shirzadi S, Davoud A, Taghdisi MH, Hosseini AF. The effect of education based on health belief model on promotion of physical puberty health among teen girls in welfare boarding centers in Tehran.
Journal of School of Public Health and Institute of Public Health Research 2012; 10(2):59-71 (In Persian).
- Ali TS, Ali PA, Waheed H, Memon AA. Understanding of puberty and related health problems among female adolescents in Karachi, Pakistan. Journal-Pakistan Medical Association 2006; 56(2):68. 25- Nouri M, Merghati Khoi E. The impact of peer-based educational approaches on girls’ physical practice of pubertal health. Arak Medical University Journal 2010; 12(4):129-35 (In Persian).
- Saadatmand M, Karimi F, Khalesi M, Tabraei Y. Evaluate hygienic behavior and the menstrual cycle in female students free Of Qom. Journal of Women and Health 2006; 1(3):1-11 (In Persian).
- Kim M-H, Yoo I-Y. Knowledge of menstruation, emotional reaction to menarche, attitude toward menstruation and coping behavior among Korean primary school students. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing 2009; 15(1):64-72.
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 368 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 92 بار