Evaluation of Sperm Parameters and DNA Integrity Following Different Incubation Times in PVP Medium
23 February 2021
Purpose: Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) is a chemical material used in intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) program. The aim of this study was to investigate the ideal time that sperm can be safely incubated in PVP with less structure and DNA damage.
Method: Thirty-one Oligoasthenoteratospermia (OAT) samples were used. Sperm samples were prepared by discontinuous density-gradients method and incubated in 10% PVP at different time intervals (0, 5, 10, 15, 20, and 30 min). The effect of PVP was assessed on sperm DNA fragmentation and viability via SCD assay and Eosin–nigrosin staining respectively.
Results: Data showed there was a significant increase in sperm DNA fragmentation at 10 min compared to 0 min. The viability rate also significantly reduced at 10 min compared to 0 min.
Conclusion: As a result, sperm samples could be incubated with PVP for less than 10 min. While prolonged incubation may significantly damage the sperm DNA integrity and viability.
- Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP), Oligoasthenoteratospermia, Sperm DNA fragmentation, SCD test, viability rate
How to Cite
2. Hussain T, Ranjha NM, Shahzad Y. Swelling and controlled release of tramadol hydrochloride from a pH-sensitive hydrogel. Designed Monomers and Polymers. 2011;14(3):233-49.
3. Ding D, Wang Q, Li X, Chen B, Zou W, Ji D, et al. Effects of different polyvinylpyrrolidone concentrations on intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Zygote. 2020;28(2):148-53.
4. Kato Y, Nagao Y. Effect of polyvinylpyrrolidone on sperm function and early embryonic development following intracytoplasmic sperm injection in human assisted reproduction. Reproductive medicine and biology. 2012;11(4):165-76.
5. Pasqualotto FF, Borges E, Jr. Re: sperm defect severity rather than sperm source is associated with lower fertilization rates after intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Int Braz J Urol. 2008;34(2):231-2.
6. Strehler E, Baccetti B, Sterzik K, Capitani S, Collodel G, De Santo M, et al. Detrimental effects of polyvinylpyrrolidone on the ultrastructure of spermatozoa (Notulae seminologicae 13). Human reproduction (Oxford, England). 1998;13(1):120-3.
7. Jean M, Mirallié S, Boudineau M, Tatin C, Barrière P. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection with polyvinylpyrrolidone: a potential risk. Fertility and sterility. 2001;76(2):419-20.
8. Nyboe Andersen A, Goossens V, Ferraretti A, Bhattacharya S, Felberbaum R, De Mouzon J, et al. Assisted reproductive technology in Europe, 2004: results generated from European registers by ESHRE. Human Reproduction. 2008;23(4):756-71.
9. Mohammad HN-E, Mohammad S, Shahnaz R, Maryam A, Shahla R, Fariba M, et al. Effect of sperm DNA damage and sperm protamine deficiency on fertilization and embryo development post-ICSI. Reproductive biomedicine online. 2005;11(2):198-205.
10. Matsuura R, Takeuchi T, Yoshida A. Preparation and incubation conditions affect the DNA integrity of ejaculated human spermatozoa. Asian journal of andrology. 2010;12(5):753.
11. Gomez-Torres MJ, Ten J, Girela JL, Romero J, Bernabeu R, De Juan J. Sperm immobilized before intracytoplasmic sperm injection undergo ultrastructural damage and acrosomal disruption. Fertility and sterility. 2007;88(3):702-4.
12. Organization WH. WHO Laboratory Manual for the Examination and Processing of Human Semen. fifth ed: World Health Organization; 2010.
13. Jayaraman V, Upadhya D, Narayan PK, Adiga SK. Sperm processing by swim-up and density gradient is effective in elimination of sperm with DNA damage. Journal of assisted reproduction and genetics. 2012;29(6):557-63.
14. Emami NH, Lafout FM, Mohammadghasemi F. Administration of melatonin protects against acetylsalicylic acid-induced impairment of male reproductive function in mice. Iranian journal of basic medical sciences. 2018;21(2):124.
15. Nabi A, Khalili M, Halvaei I, Roodbari F. Prolonged incubation of processed human spermatozoa will increase DNA fragmentation. Andrologia. 2014;46(4):374-9.
16. Ramezani M, Khalili MA, Adib M. Effect of vitrification on apoptosis and some of parameter of sperm in infertile men. KAUMS Journal (FEYZ). 2010;14(1):18-25.
17. Fernández JL, Muriel L, Rivero MT, Goyanes V, Vazquez R, Alvarez JG. The sperm chromatin dispersion test: a simple method for the determination of sperm DNA fragmentation. Journal of andrology. 2003;24(1):59-66.
18. Anbari F, Khalili MA, Agha-Rahimi A, Maleki B, Nabi A, Esfandiari N. Does sperm DNA fragmentation have negative impact on embryo morphology and morphokinetics in IVF programme? Andrologia. 2020:e13798.
19. Pinto S, Carrageta DF, Alves MG, Rocha A, Agarwal A, Barros A, et al. Sperm selection strategies and their impact on assisted reproductive technology outcomes. Andrologia. 2020:e13725.
20. Nordhoff V, Fricke RK, Schüring AN, Zitzmann M, Kliesch S. Treatment strategies for severe oligoasthenoteratozoospermia (OAT) (<0.1 million/mL) patients. Andrology. 2015;3(5):856-63.
21. Palermo GD, Neri QV, Schlegel PN, Rosenwaks Z. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) in extreme cases of male infertility. PLoS One. 2014;9(12):e113671.
22. Zhang X-D, Chen M-Y, Gao Y, Han W, Liu D-Y, Huang G-N. The effects of different sperm preparation methods and incubation time on the sperm DNA fragmentation. Human Fertility. 2011;14(3):187-91.
23. Liffner S, Pehrson I, Garcia-Calvo L, Nedstrand E, Zalavary S, Hammar M, et al. Diagnostics of DNA fragmentation in human spermatozoa: Are sperm chromatin structure analysis and sperm chromatin dispersion tests (SCD-HaloSpermG2((R)) ) comparable? Andrologia. 2019;51(8):e13316.
24. Shamsi MB, Imam SN, Dada R. Sperm DNA integrity assays: diagnostic and prognostic challenges and implications in management of infertility. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2011;28(11):1073-85.
25. Anbari F, Halvaei I, Nabi A, Ghazali S, Khalili MA, Johansson L. The quality of sperm preparation medium affects the motility, viability, and DNA integrity of human spermatozoa. J Hum Reprod Sci. 2016;9(4):254-8.
26. Nabi A, Khalili MA, Halvaei I, Roodbari F. Prolonged incubation of processed human spermatozoa will increase DNA fragmentation. Andrologia. 2014;46(4):374-9.
27. Strehler E, Capitani S, Collodel G, De Santo M, Moretti E, Piomboni P, et al. Submicroscopic mathematical evaluation of spermatozoa in assisted reproduction. I. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection. (Notulae seminologicae 6). J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol. 1995;27(4):573-86.
28. Kato Y, Nagao Y. Effect of PVP on sperm capacitation status and embryonic development in cattle. Theriogenology. 2009;72(5):624-35.
29. Tarozzi N, Nadalini M, Borini A. Effect on sperm DNA quality following sperm selection for ART: new insights. Genetic Damage in Human Spermatozoa: Springer; 2019. p. 169-87.
30. BM A, MA A, KG A, AS O, SA B. Efficiency of hyaluronic acid binding ability to improve sperm selection in intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI). The Egyptian Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2016;65(1):536-46.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- Just Accepted/6936 Downloaded: 0 times