Can Short Anogenital Distance Cause Chronic Prostatitis? Anogenital distance in chronic prostatitis
Vol. 18 No. 03 (2021),
21 July 2021
Chronic prostatitis/Chronic pelvic pain syndromes (CP/CPPS) are a widespread pathology with unknown etiology without a proved treatment algorithm. Neurologic, endocrine and immune systems, and oxidative stress, infections are ranked in the physiopathology.
Anogenital distance (AGD) as a marker for the degree of antenatal exposure of androgens that link to some disorders of androgen-sensitive tissues especially of urogenital system. In this study, we aimed a construct a hypothesis that improper development of perineum and pelvic bottom due to the insufficient embryologic androgen exposure, which can be detected by reduced AGD, can form histologic/clinic CP in adulthood through the physical forces that resulted in stretched prostate via chronic hypoxia induced oxidative stress and failed immune mechanisms. AGD, unlike the previous published ones, suggested as a real physical scale to detect narrowed pelvic bottom other than an endocrine related biomarker.
- Chronic prostatitis; Chronic pelvic pain syndromes (CP/CPPS); Anogenital distance; etiology of CP; treatment of CP
How to Cite
2. Ihsan AU, Khan FU, Khongorzul, et al. Role of oxidative stress in pathology of chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome and male infertility and antioxidants function in ameliorating oxidative stress. Biomed Pharmacother. 2018;106:714-723.
3. Zhao Q, Yang F, Meng L, et al. Lycopene attenuates chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome by inhibiting oxidative stress and inflammation via the interaction of NF-κB, MAPKs, and Nrf-2 signaling pathways in rats. Andrology. 2020;8:747-755.
4. Liu Y, Mikrani R, Xie D, et al. Chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome and prostate cancer: study of immune cells and cytokines. Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2020;34:160-172.
5. Cowin PA, Gold E, Aleksova J, et al. Vinclozolin exposure in utero induces postpubertal prostatitis and reduces sperm production via a reversible hormone-regulated mechanism. Endocrinology. 2010;151:783-792.
6. Kutluhan MA, Şahin A, Ürkmez A, et al. The relationship between anogenital distance and benign prostate hyperplasia-related lower urinary tract symptoms. Andrologia. 2020 Apr 9:e13589. doi: 10.1111/and.13589.
7. Yetkin E. Hemorrhoid, internal iliac vein reflux and peripheral varicose vein: Affecting each other or affected vessels? Phlebology. 2015;30:145.
8. Gearhart SL. “Surgery” (chp.13), in Oxford American Handbook of Clinical Medicine. Eds Flynn AJ, Choi MJ, Dwight L. (New York NY: 2nd edition, Oxford University Press), 2013;438-517.
9. Venbrux AC, Lambert DL. Embolization of the ovarian veins as a treatment for patients with chronic pelvic pain caused by pelvic venous incompetence (pelvic congestion syndrome). Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 1999;11:395-399.
10. Gami B. Hemorrhoids – A common ailment among adults, causes & treatment: A review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2011;3:5-12.
11. Sahin A, Kutluhan MA, Yildirim C, Urkmez A, Akan S, Verit A. Results of purified micronized flavonoid fraction in the treatment of categorized type III chronic pelvic pain syndrome: a randomized controlled trial. Aging Male. 2019;16:1‐6.
12. Villeda-Sandoval CI, Herrera-Cáceres JO, Ruiz-Hernández JA, Castillo-de-León J, Castillejos-Molina RA, Rodriguez-Covarrubias F. The significance of histological chronic prostatitis in transrectal prostate biopsy. Austin J Urol. 2014;1:5.
13. Schreiber E, Alfageme O, Garcia T, et al. Oral exposure of rats to dienestrol during gestation and lactation: Effects on the reproductive system of male offspring. Food Chem Toxicol. 2019;128:193‐201.
14. Issberner U, Reeh PW, Steen KH. Pain due to tissue acidosis: a mechanism for inflammatory and ischemic myalgia? Neurosci Lett. 1996;208:191-194.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- 6687/pdf Downloaded: 0 times