Comparison of Dapoxetine /Tadalafil and Paroxetine/Tadalafil Combination Therapies for the Treatment of the Premature Ejaculation: A Randomized Clinical Trial Combination therapy of Dapoxetine and Paroxetine
23 February 2021
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to compare the effectiveness of Dapoxetine, and Paroxetine as well as Dapoxetine/Tadalafil and Paroxetine/Tadalafil combinational therapies, for the treatment of patients with premature ejaculation.
Materials and Methods: In this clinical trial study, 120 patients with premature ejaculation were randomly divided into 4 groups: The first group was treated with Paroxetine (Pa), while the second group received Dapoxetine(Da). The third group received Paroxetine combined with Tadalafil(PT) whereas the fourth group treatment involved the use of Dapoxetine and Tadalafil(DT) for one month. In the next 2 and 4 weeks, the cases were evaluated in terms of ejaculation duration, frequency of intercourse per week, and drug side effects.
Results: The mean age of the Da, Pa, PT, DT groups was 32±6.9, 32.4±7.2, 31.6±1.9, and 32.9±7.7, respectively. There was a significant difference between the Da and DT groups (p = .029) in the ejaculation latency in the 4-week follow-up. In the two weeks follow-up, a significant difference was observed between DA and DT (p = 0.043), Pa and PT (p = 0.006), and Pa and DT groups (p= 0.004) in terms of ejaculation latency. Four weeks after the intervention, a significant difference was detected in the intercourse frequency of Da and PT groups (p =0.033), Pa and PT groups (p =0.043), Pa and DT groups (p =0.02), and Da and DT groups (p=0.016).
Conclusion: Combination therapy (Tadalafil plus Paroxetine or Dapoxetine) was more effective in IELT (Intra ejaculation latency time) than mono-therapy especially in younger patients despite its slightly more side effects.
- premature ejaculation, paroxetine, sildenafil, dapoxetine
How to Cite
2. Mirone V, Arcaniolo D, Rivas D, Bull S, Aquilina JW, Verze P, PAUSE Study Team. Results from a prospective observational study of men with premature ejaculation treated with dapoxetine or alternative care: the PAUSE study. European urology. 2014 Apr 1;65(4):733-9.
3. Reza KB, Safarinezhad M. A survey of prevalence of sexual disorders and risk factors in patient who referred in urology ward in 501 hospital 2004-05. Annals of military and health scienses research 2007;4(4):1041-1045.
4. Smith DR, Tanagho EA, McAninch JW. Smith's general urology. Appleton & Lange; 1988.
5. Sangkum P, Badr R, Serefoglu EC, Hellstrom WJ. Dapoxetine and the treatment of premature ejaculation. Translational andrology and urology. 2013 Dec;2(4):301-11.
6. Montorsi F, Adaikan G, Becher E, Giuliano F, Khoury S, Lue TF, Sharlip I, Althof SE, Andersson KE, Brock G, Broderick G. Summary of the recommendations on sexual dysfunctions in men. The journal of sexual medicine. 2010 Nov;7(11):3572-88.
7. Waldinger MD, Schweitzer DH. The use of old and recent DSM definitions of premature ejaculation in observational studies: A contribution to the present debate for a new classification of PE in the DSM‐V. The journal of sexual medicine. 2008 May;5(5):1079-87.
8. Buvat J. Pathophysiology of premature ejaculation. The journal of sexual medicine. 2011 Oct;8:316-27.
9. Yang X, Gao M, Zhang L, Liu L, Liu P, Sun J, Xi Y, Yin H, Qin W. Central neural correlates during inhibitory control in lifelong premature ejaculation patients. Frontiers in human neuroscience. 2018 May 22;12:206.
10. Peeters M, Giuliano F. Central neurophysiology and dopaminergic control of ejaculation. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews. 2008 Jan 1;32(3):438-53.
11. Corona G, Mannucci E, Jannini EA, Lotti F, Ricca V, Monami M, Boddi V, Bandini E, Balercia G, Forti G, Maggi M. Original research–endocrinology: Hypoprolactinemia: A New Clinical Syndrome in Patients with Sexual Dysfunction. The journal of sexual medicine. 2009 May;6(5):1457-66.
12. Patrick DL, Rowland D, Rothman M. Ejaculatory Disorders: Interrelationships Among Measures of Premature Ejaculation: The Central Role of Perceived Control. The journal of sexual medicine. 2007 May;4(3):780-8.
13. Paço JS, Pereira BJ. New therapeutic perspectives in premature ejaculation. Urology. 2016 Feb 1;88:87-92.
14. Edition F. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. American Psychiatric Pub; 2013 May 22.
15. Giuliano F, Patrick DL, Porst H, La Pera G, Kokoszka A, Merchant S, Rothman M, Gagnon DD, Polverejan E, 3004 Study Group. Premature ejaculation: results from a five-country European observational study. European urology. 2008 May 1;53(5):1048-57.
16. Castiglione F, Albersen M, Hedlund P, Gratzke C, Salonia A, Giuliano F. Current pharmacological management of premature ejaculation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. European urology. 2016 May 31; 69(5): 904-16.
17. AkgÃl T, Karakan T, Ayyildiz A, Germiyanoglu C. Comparison of sertraline and citalopram for treatment of premature ejaculation. Urology journal. 2009 Jan 12; 5(1): 41-5.
18. Safarinejad MR. Comparison of dapoxetine versus paroxetine in patients with premature ejaculation: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, fixed-dose, randomized study. Clinical neuropharmacology. 2006 Sep 1;29(5):243-52.
19. Simsek A, Kirecci SL, Kucuktopcu O, Ozgor F, Akbulut MF, Sarilar O, Ozkuvanci U, Gurbuz ZG. Comparison of paroxetine and dapoxetine, a novel selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor in the treatment of premature ejaculation. Asian journal of andrology. 2014 Sep;16(5):725.
20. Hutchinson K, Cruickshank K, Wylie K. A benefit-risk assessment of dapoxetine in the treatment of premature ejaculation. Drug safety. 2012 May 1;35(5):359-72.
21. McMahon CG. Dapoxetine: a new option in the medical management of premature ejaculation. Therapeutic advances in urology. 2012 Oct;4(5):233-51.
22. Gameel TA, Tawfik AM, Abou-Farha MO, Bastawisy MG, El-Bendary MA, El-Gamasy AE. On-demand use of tramadol, sildenafil, paroxetine and local anaesthetics for the management of premature ejaculation: a randomised placebo-controlled clinical trial. Arab journal of urology. 2013 Dec 1;11(4):392-7.
23. Lee WK, Lee SH, Cho ST, Lee YS, Oh CY, Yoo C, Cho JS, Lee SK, Yang DY. Comparison between on‐demand dosing of dapoxetine alone and dapoxetine plus mirodenafil in patients with lifelong premature ejaculation: Prospective, randomized, double‐blind, placebo‐controlled, multicenter study. The journal of sexual medicine. 2013 Nov 1;10(11):2832-41.
24. F Lasker G, Halis F, Gokce A. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for premature ejaculation: review of erectile and ejaculatory side effects. Current drug safety. 2014 Jul 1;9(2):118-26.
25. Russo A, Capogrosso P, Ventimiglia E, La Croce G, Boeri L, Montorsi F, Salonia A. Efficacy and safety of dapoxetine in treatment of premature ejaculation: an evidence‐based review. International journal of clinical practice. 2016 Sep;70(9):723-33.
26. Saitz TR, Serefoglu EC. Advances in understanding and treating premature ejaculation. Nature Reviews Urology. 2015 Nov;12(11):629.
27. Zhang X, Tang D, Yang J, Shi K, Goa J, Hao Z, Zhou J, Liang C. Combination of sertraline and sildenafil versus sertraline monotherapy in the treatment of acquired premature ejaculation without concomitant diseases. Andrology. 2014;3(117):2167-0250.
28. Jern P, Johansson A, Piha J, Westberg L, Santtila P. Antidepressant treatment of premature ejaculation: discontinuation rates and prevalence of side effects for dapoxetine and paroxetine in a naturalistic setting. International journal of impotence research. 2015 Mar;27(2):75-80.
29. Abu El‐Hamd M, Abdelhamed A. Comparison of the clinical efficacy and safety of the on‐demand use of paroxetine, dapoxetine, sildenafil and combined dapoxetine with sildenafil in treatment of patients with premature ejaculation: A randomised placebo‐controlled clinical trial. Andrologia. 2018 Feb;50(1):e12829.
30. Martyn-St James M, Cooper K, Ren S, Kaltenthaler E, Dickinson K, Cantrell A, Wylie K, Frodsham L, Hood C. Phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors for premature ejaculation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. European urology focus. 2017 Feb 1;3(1):119-29.
31. McMahon CG, Althof SE, Kaufman JM, Buvat J, Levine SB, Aquilina JW, Tesfaye F, Rothman M, Rivas DA, Porst H. Efficacy and safety of dapoxetine for the treatment of premature ejaculation: integrated analysis of results from five phase 3 trials. The journal of sexual medicine. 2011 Feb 1;8(2):524-39.
32. Pryor JL, Althof SE, Steidle C, Rosen RC, Hellstrom WJ, Shabsigh R, Miloslavsky M, Kell S, Dapoxetine Study Group. Efficacy and tolerability of dapoxetine in treatment of premature ejaculation: an integrated analysis of two double-blind, randomised controlled trials. The lancet. 2006 Sep 9;368(9539):929-37.
33. Li J, Liu D, Wu J, Fan X, Dong Q. Dapoxetine for the treatment of premature ejaculation: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials with trial sequential analysis. Annals of Saudi medicine. 2018 Sep;38(5):366-75.
34. McMAHON CG, Touma K. Treatment of premature ejaculation with paroxetine hydrochloride as needed: 2 single-blind placebo controlled crossover studies. The Journal of urology. 1999 Jun;161(6):1826-30.
35. Moudi E, Kasaeeyan AA. Comparison between tadalafil plus paroxetine and paroxetine alone in the treatment of premature ejaculation. Nephro-urology monthly. 2016 Jan;8(1).
36. Polat EC, Ozbek E, Otunctemur A, Ozcan L, Simsek A. Combination therapy with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and phosphodiesterase‐5 inhibitors in the treatment of premature ejaculation. Andrologia. 2015 Jun;47(5):487-92.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- Just Accepted/6644 Downloaded: 0 times