The The effect of Pre-Incision Urethral Plate Width and Glanular Width on The Outcome of Tubularized Incised Urethral plate repair surgery in Distal Penile Hypospadias, A prospective study
23 February 2021
Purpose: To determine hypospadias repair's cosmetic and functional outcome concerning the urethral plate width and glanular width.
Materials and Methods: A prospective study including 38 patients. The urethral plate width (UPW) was measured preoperatively. The cosmetic outcome was evaluated by hypospadias objective penile evaluation [HOPE] score, and the urinary stream evaluated functional outcome. We included boys with distal penile hypospadias and excluded recurrent cases with severe chordee. All patients were operated on by Snodgrass tubularized incised plate repair (TIP); they were followed up for one year. Success was deﬁned as slit-shaped meatus at the tip of the glans without ﬁstula.
Results: The mean age of surgery was 4.5 ± 2.1 years. UPW was < 8 mm in 24 patients (63.2 %) (Group A), while 14 patients (36.8 % ) (Group B) had a UPW ≥ 8 mm. Overall, the mean ± SD of UPW was 4.84 ± 1.29 mm. The mean ± SD of GW was 9.52 ± 1.56 mm. Overall success was documented in 35/38 patients (92.1 %). No significant relation was founded between the complications and UPW of the patients (p-value = 0.7). Overall, the mean ± SD HOPE score was 39.1 ± 8.83. A significant relation was found between the cosmetic outcome of the two groups and the HOPE score (p-value = 0.02).
Conclusion: The pre-incision urethral plate width and glanular width were not correlated with the TIP outcome. A better HOPE score is associated with a wide urethral plate.
- Hypospadias, urethral plate, tubularized incised plate repair (TIP), hypospadias objective penile evaluation [HOPE].
How to Cite
2. Wilkinson DJ, Farrelly P, Kenny SE. Outcomes in distal hypospadias: a systematic review of the Mathieu and tubularized incised plate repairs. J pediatr urol.2012; 8(3):307-12.
3. Holland AJ, Smith GH. Effect of the depth and width of the urethral plate on tubularized incised plate urethroplasty. Urology. 2000; 164(2):489-91.
4. Merriman LS, et al. The GMS hypospadias score: assessment of inter-observer reliability and correlation with post-operative complications. J pediatr urol.2013; 9(6 Pt a):707-12.
5. Arlen AM, et al. Further analysis of the Glans-Urethral Meatus-Shaft (GMS) hypospadias score: correlation with postoperative complications. J pediatr urol.2015; 11(2):71.e1-5.
6. Aboutaleb H. Role of the urethral plate characters in the success of tubularized incised plate urethroplasty. Indian journal of plastic surgery: official publication of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India. 2014; 47(2):227-31.
7. Bush NC, Snodgrass W. Pre-incision urethral plate width does not impact short-term Tubularized Incised Plate urethroplasty outcomes. J pediatr urol.2017; 13(6):625.e1-.e6.
8. Bush NC, Villanueva C, Snodgrass W. Glans size is an independent risk factor for urethroplasty complications after hypospadias repair. J pediatr urol.2015; 11(6):355.e1-5.
9. Nguyen MT, Snodgrass WT, Zaontz MR. Effect of urethral plate characteristics on tubularized incised plate urethroplasty. Urology. 2004; 171(3):1260-2; discussion 2.
10. Bush NC, DaJusta D, Snodgrass WT. Glans penis width in patients with hypospadias compared to healthy controls. J pediatr urol.2013; 9(6 Pt B):1188-91.
11. Van der Toorn F, et al. Introducing the HOPE (Hypospadias Objective Penile Evaluation)-score: a validation study of an objective scoring system for evaluating cosmetic appearance in hypospadias patients. J pediatr urol. 2013; 9(6 Pt B):1006-16.
12. Stein DM, Thum DJ, Barbagli G, Kulkarni S, Sansalone S, Pardeshi A, et al. A geographic analysis of male urethral stricture aetiology and location. BJU international. 2013; 112(6):830-4.
13. Moriya K, et al. Long-term cosmetic and sexual outcome of hypospadias surgery: norm related study in adolescence. Urology. 2006; 176(4 Pt 2):1889-93.
14. Eassa W, He X, El-Sherbiny M. How much does the midline incision add to urethral diameter after tubularized incised plate urethroplasty? An experimental animal study. Urology. 2011; 186(4 Suppl):1625-9.
15. Da Silva EA, et al. Role of penile biometric characteristics on surgical outcome of hypospadias repair. Pediatric surgery international. 2014; 30(3):339-44.
16. Chukwubuike KE, et al. Assessment of the effect of urethral plate width on outcome of hypospadias repair. J pediatr urol. 2019; 15(6):627.e1-.e6.
17. Mane S, Arlikar J, Dhende N. Modified tubularized incised plate urethroplasty. Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons. 2013; 18(2):62-5.
18. Eliçevik M, et al. Tubularized incised plate urethroplasty for hypospadias reoperations in 100 patients. International urology and nephrology. 2007; 39(3):823-7.
19. Sarhan O, Saad M, Helmy T, Hafez A. Effect of suturing technique and urethral plate characteristics on complication rate following hypospadias repair: a prospective randomized study. Urology. 2009; 182(2):682-5; discussion 5-6.
20. Bhat A, Mandal AK. Acute postoperative complications of hypospadias repair. Indian journal of urology: IJU: journal of the Urological Society of India. 2008; 24(2):241-8.
21. Shapiro SR. Complications of hypospadias repair. Urology. 1984; 131(3):518-22.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- Just Accepted/6618 Downloaded: 0 times