Successful Penile Replantation With Cavernoglandular Shunt Procedure In Urban Setting: A Case Series
23 February 2021
Purpose: Traumatic penile amputation is a rare case with various etiologies. Penile reconstruction using replantation technique should be performed to prevent the decline of patients quality of life even in areas with limited facilites.
Material and Methods: We report three cases of total penile amputation in children after circumcision, who were successfully replanted by macro-surgical technique and cavernoglandular shunt procedure.
Results: Postoperative follow-up showed promising results with good micturition, erectile function, cosmetic, and minimal complications.
Conclusion: Matters affecting the successful penile replantation in macro-surgical techniques have been discussed. In addition, we also highlight the potential of cavernoglandular shunt procedure that can be used as an alternative treatment for penile replantation in limited facilities.
- Amputation, cavernoglandular shunt, penis, reimplantation
How to Cite
2. Babaei AR, Safarinejad MR. Penile replantation, science or myth? A systematic review. Urol J Spring. 2007;4(2):62–65.
3. Wihono F, Sigumonrong Y. Surgical Management (mcrosurgery) of Traumatic Penile Amputation: A Case Report. Open Acces Maced J Med Sci. 2019;7(8):1350-2.
4. Jezior JR, Brady JD, Schlossberg SM. Management of penile amputation injuries. World J Surg. 2001; 25(12):1602-9.
5. Garg S, Date SV, Gupta A, Baliarsing AS. Successful microsurgical replantation of an amputated penis. Indian J Plast Surg. 2016;49:99-105.
6. Jordan GH. Management of Penile Amputation. In Hohenfeller M, Santucci RA (editor) Emergencies in Urology. Berlin: Springer. 2007;270-4.
7. Jordan GH, Gilbert DA. Management of amputation injuries of the male genitalia. Uro Clin North Am. 1989; 16(2):359-67.
8. Tay YK, Spernat D, Rzetelski-West K, Appu S, Love C. Acute management of priapism in men. BJU International. 2012;109(Suppl_3):15-21.
9. Burnett AL, Bivalacqua TJ. Priapism: new concepts in medical and surgical management. Urol Clin North Am. 2011;38(2):185-94.
10. Landstrom JT, Schuyler RW, Macris GP. Microsurgical penile replantation facilitated by postoperative HBO treatment. Microsurgery. 2004;24:49–55.
11. Biswas G. Technical Considerations and Outcomes in Penile Replantation. Seminars in Plastic Surgery. 2013;27(4):205–210
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- Just Accepted/6495 Downloaded: 0 times