Comparison of Single Monthly Instillations of Intra-Vesical Bacillus Calmette-Guerin Maintenance Therapy with Southwest Oncology Group Regimen in Non-Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer Patients-A Retrospective Analysis In a Single Institute
23 February 2021
Purpose: To compare the efficacy and complication rate of monthly instillations of Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) as maintenance therapy in intermediate and high risk Non-Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer (NMIBC) patients with the current standard Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG) protocol.
Materials and Methods: In this observational retrospective study, 40 intermediate and high risk NMIBC patients, receiving standard BCG maintenance regimen, were compared with another 40 NMIBC patients, undergoing monthly intra-vesical instillations of BCG with regard to recurrence, progression and major and minor adverse effects.
Results: The two groups were similar in their basic characteristics except for the older age in the monthly instillation group ( 70.95±9.66 years vs. 64±8.8, p=0.001). Study objectives between the monthly instillation group and the standard group, including recurrence ( 17.5 % vs. 25%, p= 0.34) and progression rate ( 7.5% vs. 10%, p=0.54) did not show statistically significant difference. Major and minor complication rate also did not show any difference between the two groups.
Conclusion: In addition to the currently recommended standard protocol of BCG maintenance therapy, our study shows that the monthly regimen can be recommended in intermediate and high risk NMIBC patients without compromising the efficacy of the treatment.
- Bacillus Calmette-Guerin; Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder cancer; Maintenance therapy; Progression; Recurrence
How to Cite
2. Chang SS, Boorjian SA, Chou R, et al. Diagnosis and Treatment of Non-Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer: AUA/SUO Guideline. J Urol. 2016;196:1021-9.
3. Lamm DL, Blumenstein BA, Crissman JD, et al. Maintenance bacillus Calmette-Guerin immunotherapy for recurrent TA, T1 and carcinoma in situ transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: a randomized Southwest Oncology Group Study. J Urol. 2000;163:1124-9.
4. Akaza H, Hinotsu S, Aso Y, Kakizoe T, Koiso K. Bacillus Calmette-Guérin treatment of existing papillary bladder cancer and carcinoma in situ of the bladder. Four-year results. The Bladder Cancer BCG Study Group. Cancer. 1995;75:552-9.
5. Badalament RA, Herr HW, Wong GY, et al. A prospective randomized trial of maintenance versus nonmaintenance intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin therapy of superficial bladder cancer. J Clin Oncol. 1987;5:441-9.
6. Koga H, Ozono S, Tsushima T, et al. Maintenance intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin instillation for Ta, T1 cancer and carcinoma in situ of the bladder: randomized controlled trial by the BCG Tokyo Strain Study Group. Int J Urol. 2010;17:759-66.
7. Palou J, Laguna P, Millán-Rodríguez F, Hall RR, Salvador-Bayarri J, Vicente-Rodríguez J. Control group and maintenance treatment with bacillus Calmette-Guerin for carcinoma in situ and/or high grade bladder tumors. J Urol. 2001;165:1488-91.
8. Martínez-Piñeiro L, Portillo JA, Fernández JM, et al. Maintenance Therapy with 3-monthly Bacillus Calmette-Guérin for 3 Years is Not Superior to Standard Induction Therapy in High-risk Non-muscle-invasive Urothelial Bladder Carcinoma: Final Results of Randomised CUETO Study 98013. Eur Urol. 2015;68:256-62.
9. Peyton CC, Chipollini J, Azizi M, Kamat AM, Gilbert SM, Spiess PE. Updates on the use of intravesical therapies for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer: how, when and what. World J Urol. 2019;37:2017-29.
10. de Reijke TM, de Boer EC, Kurth KH, Schamhart DH. Urinary cytokines during intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin therapy for superficial bladder cancer: processing, stability and prognostic value. J Urol. 1996;155:477-82.
11. Ratliff T, Catalona W. Depressed proliferative responses in patients treated with 12 weeks of intravesical BCG. J. Urol. 1989;141:230A.
12. Chen S, Zhang N, Shao J, Wang X. Maintenance versus non-maintenance intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guerin instillation for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Int J Surg. 2018;52:248-57.
13. Woldu SL, Bagrodia A, Lotan Y. Guideline of guidelines: non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer. BJU Int. 2017;119:371-80.
14. Oddens J, Brausi M, Sylvester R, et al. Final results of an EORTC-GU cancers group randomized study of maintenance bacillus Calmette-Guérin in intermediate- and high-risk Ta, T1 papillary carcinoma of the urinary bladder: one-third dose versus full dose and 1 year versus 3 years of maintenance. Eur Urol. 2013;63:462-72.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- Just Accepted/6491 Downloaded: 0 times