The Role of Kallikrein10 (KLK10) Polymorphism in Prostate Cancer Susceptibility KLK10 polymorphism in Prostate Cancer
23 February 2021
Purpose: The present study aims to investigate the potential role of Kallikrein 10 (KLK10) genotype and allele frequencies in predisposition to prostate cancer.
Materials and Methods: KLK10 (rs7259451) gene polymorphisms were determined by real-time polymerase chain reaction analysis in patients with prostate cancer (n=69) and controls (n=76).
Results: KLK10 gene frequencies were significantly different in the case and control groups (P = .028). GG carriers were significantly higher in the control group (P = .034), whereas TT carriers were higher in the prostate cancer group (P = .033). Furthermore, The patients with GG genotype had the lowest PSA levels while TT carriers had the highest (P = .005).
Conclusion: According to the results, we suggested that carrying variant T allele and also carrying homozygote TT genotype could be a potential risk, while ancestral homozygote GG genotype and G allele are risk reducing factors for prostate cancer.
- Prostate cancer, polymorphism, KLK10 gene; rs7259451
How to Cite
2. Cintra HS, Pinezi JC, Machado GD, de Carvalho GM, Carvalho AT, dos Santos TE, Marciano RD and Soares Rde B. Investigation of genetic polymorphisms related to the outcome of radiotherapy for prostate cancer patients. Dis Markers 2013; 35(6): 701-10.
3. Peters ME and Ostrander EA. Prostate cancer: simplicity to complexity. Nat Genet 2001; 27(2): 134-135.
4. Ostrander EA and Stanford JL. Genetics of prostate cancer: too many loci, too few genes. Am J Hum Genet 2000; 67(6): 1367-1375.
5. Lai J, Kedda MA, Hinze K, Smith RL, Yaxley J, Spurdle AB, Morris CP, Harris J and Clements JA. PSA/KLK3 AREI promoter polymorphism alters androgen receptor binding and is associated with prostate cancer susceptibility. Carcinogenesis 2007; 28(5): 1032-1039.
6. Borgoño CA, Michael IP and Diamandis EP: Human tissue kallikreins: physiologic roles and applications in cancer. Mol Cancer Res 2004; 2(5): 257-280.
7. Zhang Y, Bhat I, Zeng M, Jayal G, Wazer DE, Band H, Band V. Human kallikrein 10, a predictive marker for breast cancer. Biol Chem 2006; 387(6): 715-21.
8. Angelopoulou K and Karagiannis GS. The canine kallikrein-related peptidases 9 and 10: structural characterization and expression in mammary cancer. Mamm Genome 2009; 20(11-12): 758-767.
9. Yousef GM, Polymeris ME, Yacoub GM, Scorilas A, Soosaipillai A, Popalis C, Fracchioli S, Katsaros D and Diamandis EP. Parallel overexpression of seven kallikrein genes in ovarian cancer. Cancer Res 2003; 63(9): 2223-2227.
10. Bayani J, Paliouras M, Planque C, Shan SJ, Graham C, Squire JA and Diamandis EP. Impact of cytogenetic and genomic aberrations of the kallikrein locus in ovarian cancer. Mol Oncol 2008; 2(3): 250-260.
11. Angelopoulou K and Karagiannis GS. The canine kallikrein-related peptidases 9 and 10: structural characterization and expression in mammary cancer. Mamm Genome. 2009; 20(11-12):758-767.
12. Shaw JL and Diamandis EP. Distribution of 15 human kallikreins in tissues and biological fluids. Clin Chem 2007; 53(8): 1423-1432.
13. Yousef GM, White NM, Michael IP, Cho JC, Robb JD, Kurlender L, Khan S and Diamandis EP. Identification of new splice variants and differential expression of the human kallikrein 10 gene, a candidate cancer biomarker. Tumour Biol 2005; 26(5): 227-235.
14. Sidiropoulos M, Pampalakis G, Sotiropoulou G, Katsaros D and Diamandis EP. Downregulation of human kallikrein 10 (KLK10/NES1) by CpG island hypermethylation in breast, ovarian and prostate cancers. Tumour Biol 2005; 26(6): 324-336.
15. Luo LY, Bunting P, Scorilas A and Diamandis EP. Human kallikrein 10: a novel tumor marker for ovarian carcinoma? Clin Chim Acta 2001; 306(1-2): 111-118.
16. Bharaj BB, Luo LY, Jung K, Stephan C and Diamandis EP. Identification of single nucleotide polymorphisms in the human kallikrein 10 (KLK10) gene and their association with prostate, breast, testicular, and ovarian cancers. Prostate 2002; 51(1): 35-41.
17. Batra J, Tan OL, O’Mara T, Zammit R, Nagle CM, Clemets JA, KeddaMA and Spurdle A. Kallikrein-Related Peptidase 10 (KLK10) Expression and Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms in Ovarian Cancer Survival. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2010; 20:529-536.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- Just Accepted/6425 Downloaded: 0 times