In vitro assessment of Tribulus terrestris aqueous extract and Benzoxacin fraction against Helicobacter pylori isolates from biopsy samples of Iranian patients
Novelty in Biomedicine,
Vol. 1 No. 3 (2013),
15 February 2014
- Background & Objectives: Helicobacter pylori (Hp) is related to gastritis, gastric ulcer, duodenal ulcer, and mucosal carcinoma. Emergence of multidrug resistant Hp strains encouraged the researchers to find new effective drugs. Especially medicinal herbs and plants which usually shows less side effects. The aim of this study was in vitro assessment of anti Hp activity of total extract of Tribulus terrestris (T. terrestris Benzoxacin, a local Iranian medicinal plant and its fraction Benzoxacin.
- Methods: total aqueous extract of aerial parts of the plant was prepared and liquid extraction with petroleum ether was used to separate its components. LC/MS system proved the existence of Benzoxazine derivative in the water fraction and the third's fraction. Anti (Hp) effects of total extract and its third fraction were examined by cup plate method and using standard MacFarland. 50 biopsy samples of antrum were detected from patients who were endoscopic candidates in Milad and Fayazbakhsh hospitals of Tehran during 2011. All samples were isolated, diagnosed based on standard methods and biochemical tests and confirmed by PCR method for ureC gene, too. Different dilutions (250, 500,750 and 1000 mg/ml) of total extract were prepared. Clarythromycin (Clr) E-test strips and an identified Hp OC1096 was used, simultaneously.
- Results: Of 50 biopsy samples, 12 Hp strains were isolated. Rapid urease test were positive in all expect one biopsy sample. Existence of ureC gene in all isolates were confirmed expect one strain by PCR. By cup plate method, resistant to concentrations of 1000 and 750mg/ml were detected in 50% of Hp isolates and 66.6% of them were resistant to concentrations 250 and 500 mg/ml .Also, 83.3% of Hp strains were resistant to Benzoxacin fraction. Clarythromycin sensitivity detected in 83% of Hp isolates, simultaneously.
- Conclusion: This study was done as a pilot study for in vitro evaluation of antibacterial effect of total extract of T. terrestris by cup plate method. Existence of high resistant rate (≥50%) to different concentrations T. terrestris aqueous extract seems doing test on more Hp strains in future studies is highly recommended . In contrast of the similarity of Benzoxazin structure to Ofloxacin, existence of 83.3% of resistance among tested isolates showed no anti Hp effectiveness of this fraction.
- Helicobacter pylori
- Tribulus terrestris
- antibacterial resistance
How to Cite
Survival rate of gastric cancer in Iran (2009). Mohammad Movahedia,b, Abolfazl Afsharfarda, Afshin Moradia, Ali Nasermoaddelib,Jalaladdin Khoshnevisa, Farinaz Fattahia, Mohammad Esmail Akbari.JRMS,14(6);367-373.
Real time-PCR screening for 16SrRNA mutations associated with resistance to tetracycline in Helicobacter pylori (2005). Glocker E, Bering M, Gerritis MM, Kusters JG,Kist M. Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy,49(8)3166-3170.
Real time-PCR assay for rapid and accurate detection of point mutations conferring resistance to clarithromycin in Helicobacter pylori( 2003). Oleastro M, Menrad A, Santos A, Lamoulittae H, Monteiro L, Barthelemy P, Megraud F. J of Clin Microbiol,41(1);397-402.
Results of individual data analysis or 2751 patients (2003). Broulet N, Tchamgoue S, Pereira H, Lamouliatte H, Salamon R, Megraud F. Ailment. Pharmacol. Ther, 17; 109-99.
Steroidal saponins from the aerial of Tribulus pentandrus Forssk (2004). Hamed Al, Oleszek W, Stochmal A, Pizza C, Piacente S. Phytochemistry, 65(21); 2935-2945.
Cytotoxic cholestane and pregnane glycosides from Tribulus macropterus. (2007). Abdel hameed EL, El-Nahas HA, WL Vakil EA, Ahmed WS. J Natur. Forch (5); 319-325.
Study of anti hypersensitive mechanism of Tribulus terrestris in 2K1C hypersensitive rats: role of tissue ACE activity (2003). Sharifie AM, Darabi R, Akbarloo N. Life Sci, 73 (23); 2963-2967.
Anti hypersensitive and vasodilator effects of metanolic and aqueous extract of Tribulus terrestris in rats (2006). Philips OA, Mathew KT, Oriowo MA. J Ethnopharmacol, 104 (3); 351-355.
Effect of Tribulus terrestris on nicotinamid adenine dinucleotide phosphate diaphorase activity and androgen receptors in the rat brain(2005). Guathaman K, Adaikan PG. J Ethnopharmacol,96(1-2); 127-132.
Hypoglycemic effect of saponin from Tribulus terrestris(2002). Li M, Qu W, Wang Y, Wan H, Tian C. Zhong Yao Cai, 25(6); 420-422.
Steriodal glycosides from the fruits of Tribulus terrestris (2006). Bedir E, Khan L. J .Nat. Prod, 63; 1699-1702.
Tribulson and beta sitostrol D- glucoside, the anti helmintic principles of Tribulus terrestris(2002). Deepak M, Dipanka G, Prashanth D, Asha MK, Amit A, Venkataraman BV. Phytomedicine,9(8); 753-756.
Riflazil and other Behzoxazinorfamycins in the treatment of Chlamydia based persistent infections (2007) . Stevens. Arch. Pharam. Chem. Live. Sci. 350, 514-517.
) Evaluation the anti microbial effect of total extract of Tribulus terrestris and its fraction Benzoxazine(2010). Research thesis of Islamic Azad university of Pharmecutical sciences. Melina Makhmore.
Antibacterial activity of hydrolysable Tannins derived from medicinal plants against Helicobacter pylori (2004). Funatogawa K, Hayashi S, Shimimura H, Yoshilda T, Hatana T, Hiele Yukito, Hirai Y. Mico. Immunol, 48(6); 251-261.
Anti Helicobacter pylori activity and immune stimulatory effect of extracts from Byrsonima crass Nied (2009). Bonacorsi C, G Raddi MS, Carlos IZ, Sannomya M, Vilegas W.BMC Complementary and alternative medicine(9);2-7.
Antibacterial activity of Thymus pubescence methanolic extract. (2008). Mehregan H, Mojab F, Pakdaman SH, Poursaeed M. Iran. J. Pharm. Res. 7(4); 291-295.
Funatogawa K.J, et al (2004).Antibacterial activity of hydrolysable tannins derived from medicinal plants against Hp .Microbiol.Immunol, 48(4); 251-261.
S.Kianbakht, F. Jahaniani (2003).Evaluation of Antibacterial Activity of Tribulus terrestris L. Growing in Iran. IJPT, 2(1); 21-24.
- Abstract Viewed: 483 times
- PDF Downloaded: 345 times